• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• erobitha
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    Remember this discovery by Paul Begg:

From Rear Admiral HL Fleet:

“When we lived there formerly it was considered dangerous, for the terrible series of crimes committed by Jack The Ripper were then being perpetrated, and many people believed that he lived in Blackheath.”
    Druitt lived in Blackheath.

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

“When we lived there formerly it was considered dangerous, for the terrible series of crimes committed by Jack The Ripper were then being perpetrated, and many people believed that he lived in Blackheath.”
    I wonder if any local library in Blackheath will carry archived copies of local newspapers from 1888 mentioning these rumors of Jack the Ripper?
    That's how I tracked down Joseph Isaacs, through local rags, they carry stories the national press have no room for.

Leave a comment:

• JeffHamm
    replied
    Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Which one is this then, directly opposite where the apron piece was found?

1-24 & 24-35?
    Thanks Wickerman. That places it at the other end! And there's 2 of them (or maybe 3). The letter writer has certainly picked the right address to further a mystery!

- Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post
    Very nice find. Well done to you both. Does anyone know where on Goulston #24 is?
    Which one is this then, directly opposite where the apron piece was found?

1-24 & 24-35?

Leave a comment:

• JeffHamm
    replied
    Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

Hi Jeff,
    No. 24 is near the south end, on the west side. On your map it's the block (no.13-24 Brunswick Buildings) just south of the T at the end of Goulston StreeT, the second block up from the pub and
    opposite St Paul's church (German).
    Thanks Joshua. I think I've understood you, and have marked it with the red X. Just thought it would be interesting to see where the letter was referring to.

- Jeff

Click image for larger version

Name:	GoulstonStr_24.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	755724

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Rogan
    replied
    Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post
    Very nice find. Well done to you both. Does anyone know where on Goulston #24 is?

Campbell road is about 4k to the East.

- Jeff

Click image for larger version Name:	GoulstonStr.jpg Views:	0 Size:	156.3 KB ID:	755714
    Hi Jeff,
    No. 24 is near the south end, on the west side. On your map it's the block (no.13-24 Brunswick Buildings) just south of the T at the end of Goulston StreeT, the second block up from the pub and
    opposite St Paul's church (German).

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Another good piece of sleuthing Astatine and Roger.

Vanbrugh Park rung a bell. I read a book on the Suffragette Emily Davison recently and she lived there. That’s my totally useless piece of trivia for the day.

Leave a comment:

• Ms Diddles
    replied
    Really interesting stuff Astatine and RJP!

It's great when new nuggets of information are uncovered!

Leave a comment:

• JeffHamm
    replied

Campbell road is about 4k to the East.

- Jeff

Click image for larger version  Name:	GoulstonStr.jpg Views:	0 Size:	156.3 KB ID:	755714
    Last edited by JeffHamm; 04-15-2021, 08:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• erobitha
    replied
    Nice detective work.

It would appear whoever wrote the letter may have had this Augustus Riffel in mind. It could as easily be a set up as much as it is a confession. Or simply the ramblings of a mad man.

He realised after he wrote the letter that Charles Warren was in the police and not the Home Office. Something prompted him to correct it. My guess is reading a newspaper article or some kind of interview with Warren. His mind was focused on Warren specifically.
    Last edited by erobitha; 04-15-2021, 07:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• drstrange169
    replied
    Good detective work!

Leave a comment:

• Kattrup
    replied
    Very nice, Astatine, well done (RP too)

Leave a comment:

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied
    Nice find there, well done.

Retired at 34? Or buckled?

Leave a comment:

• Astatine211
    replied
    Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

It looks like he's living in the East End in 1891, in the home of a watchmaker and his wife, at 112 Campbell Road, Poplar, which is east of Mile-End, and south of Bow Road; he is listed as August Riffel. I cut-off the right-hand side of the sheet, but his birthplace is Mainz, Germany. Julia is nowhere in sight, but at least you know that he may have moved from Liverpool to East London between 1881-1891.

Cheers,

R P
    Brilliant! Looks like the chances of him being the subject of the confession letter is a lot more likely. Thank you for finding this!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X