Small, shy and partially deaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small, shy and partially deaf

I am moving the discussion about Henry Gawen Sutton here from the Richardson thread, to ask DJA a couple of questions.

You say that Sutton was the man portrayed in "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde". So what was the thought process behind that. Was Stephenson thinking that it would be interesting to suply Sutton, written about in his obituary as a man of purely good behaviour and sentiments, "the sweetest of men", with a fictional dark side? Or was Stephenson aware of such an existing murderous side within Sutton, that he managed to keep from everybody else?

And why did the play turn Sutton into the Ripper? What do you reckon pushed him over the line? Or had he already killed before the Ripper deeds?

I cannot seem to find any serial killer who took up that particular hobby at the ripe age of 53 (though it is said on the net that Sutton was born in 1837, and so he would have been 51 at the time of the murders, going by that information), nor can I find any serial killer who started killing as a result of having been used as a model for a play. He seems to be quite unusual in these respects. Do yo have any comments on this, DJA?

And what about his physical disposition? He is described as a small and shy man with no real drive. The Ripper is thought to have been a man of "great physical strength", as (I believe) Thomas Bond put it. And a brazen one at that.
    How does that jibe with the smallish, aging doc?

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
    I am moving the discussion about Henry Gawen Sutton here from the Richardson thread, to ask DJA a couple of questions.

You say that Sutton was the man portrayed in "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde". So what was the thought process behind that. Was Stephenson thinking that it would be interesting to suply Sutton, written about in his obituary as a man of purely good behaviour and sentiments, "the sweetest of men", with a fictional dark side? Or was Stephenson aware of such an existing murderous side within Sutton, that he managed to keep from everybody else?

And why did the play turn Sutton into the Ripper? What do you reckon pushed him over the line? Or had he already killed before the Ripper deeds?

I cannot seem to find any serial killer who took up that particular hobby at the ripe age of 53 (though it is said on the net that Sutton was born in 1837, and so he would have been 51 at the time of the murders, going by that information), nor can I find any serial killer who started killing as a result of having been used as a model for a play. He seems to be quite unusual in these respects. Do yo have any comments on this, DJA?

And what about his physical disposition? He is described as a small and shy man with no real drive. The Ripper is thought to have been a man of "great physical strength", as (I believe) Thomas Bond put it. And a brazen one at that.
    How does that jibe with the smallish, aging doc?
    thanks for posting this Fish

id really like to see DJs full ideas in one place....seriously.

DJA, please indulge

If you already have a disertation/article etc on your theory if you could point me in the right direction, would appreciate it.

Comment

An interesting theory indeed. D often gives hints, such as the latest being a portrait (alleged) of Edward Hyde, 3rd Earl of Clarendon, dressed as Queen Anne. Not sure what that was about.

Comment

I asked for more from DJA in the A Brothel in Cardiff thread 3 years ago when he was after backing for a film. I don't know if he still is. My post didn't get a reply though. It's actually the last post of the thread.

https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...ge3#post596609

But if you never get a backer for the film/documentary how else will we get to learn of your research into Gawen Sutton?
        Seriously DJA, I don't want a few (short, as you yourself said) links here and a few hints there in Casebook posts. I'd love to read something like a Ripperologist piece by yourself where you put forward your case. It's got to be better than what I listened to recently, a podcast with an interview of an author saying he believes Conan Doyle did it! I don't know who was scrapping the barrel the most - the author for writing it or me for listening to it.
        These are not clues, Fred.
        It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
        They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
        And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
        We will not.

Comment

Working...
        X