Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spirit

Hello Raven. Thanks.

"Blackmail would do it if Pearce had a secret that JtR knew about and could hold over his head..."

Very well. But is not the line being pursued here a bit contrary to the spirit of "JTR"? If you are bringing in the police and believable motives, why bother with "JTR"?

Cheers.
    LC
    Last edited by lynn cates; 09-19-2012, 09:12 PM.

Comment

outre

Hello Neil. No, couldn't be missed.

Can't even find a coherent outre theory that fits with Pearce.

And, as I said above, if anyone wishes to promote Watkins, s/he had better have a good explanation for the apron piece on Goulston street.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Lynn,

s/he had better have a good explanation for the apron piece on Goulston street.

Sssh. Wouldn't want to excite Mr. Marriott.

Don.
        "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Well, I give just my own opinion to anything JtR related, but the timing of the Mitre Square murder\mutilation is cutting it very close. This was the most extensive mutilation to date, and we are given a timetable of constable beats, where they were, how often walked. Watkins comes through, no body. In less than 15 minutes he is back, severely mutilated body, killer already vanished.

@Simon Wood

At 1.45am on 30th September 1888 PC Watkins found the body of Catherine Eddowes in Mitre Square.

"It is probable that he made his escape via the adjacent St James’s Place where there was a Metropolitan Fire Escape Station. Yet the firemen on duty had seen or heard nothing. Neither had City Police Constable Richard Pearse who lived at number 3 Mitre Square, where his bedroom window looked across at the murder site. "

@Lynn

You are right, of course, that my post was off focus in speculating on blackmail of policemen. Still you gotta wonder why Pearce, whom according to the above quotation, had his own bedroom window overlook the murder site heard nothing neither say nothing...
          And the questions always linger, no real answer in sight

Comment

Hi Raven,

Thank you.

Is there a special reason you attached that link?

Regards,

Simon
            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

oblivious

Hello Raven. Thanks.

If I recall properly, Pearce was married. And married men are particularly adept at tuning out noise. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                Hello Raven. Thanks.

If I recall properly, Pearce was married. And married men are particularly adept at tuning out noise. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                LC
                True, it helps us sleep through snoring! LOL!

Comment

the quiet month of october also coincided with dual patrols of officers i believe......after a quiet few weeks perhaps they loosened this dual patrol and he suddenly became free to engage in his favourite pastime ? just a suggestion .......also dark and heavy material uniforms might have been quite handy when trying to hide blood staining on your person. I have always liked this theory, it may have its flaws ( which one doesnt ? ), but its still nonetheless worth talking about.

The pattern of killings, ie towards weekend/weekend might lend itself to a pattern of his work shift .......as we have seen in the recent past, police are good at covering for themselves so who is to say it wasnt known and concluded by the police with a promise of no further word said about it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                    Hi Raven,

Thank you.

Is there a special reason you attached that link?

Regards,

Simon
                    To show where I found that Pearce did indeed live at 3 Mitre Square

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                      Hello Raven. Thanks.

Cheers.
                      LC
                      PC Pearce was married with children, one of which was described as 'imbecilic'. Pearce went to bed before his wife, she joining him later after leaving a lamp on and upon the windowsill, which was slighly open.

I feel the lamp was used incase their disabled son needed tending to.

PC Pearce was also reprimanded for burning his cape whilst hanging it over a fire to dry and ordered to cover the laundry costs for bedding he soiled.

Monty
                      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Pearce went to bed before his wife, she joining him later after leaving a lamp on and upon the windowsill, which was slighly open.
                        The lamp in the window, presumably, would have made seeing anything outside more difficult.

Comment

burnt clothing

Hello Neil. Thanks.

"PC Pearce was also reprimanded for burning his cape whilst hanging it over a fire to dry"

What? Burnt his clothing? Hmm, just like Miller's Court.

Case closed. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Clapp was another who heard nothing. And he wasn't a deaf old codger - he was quite a young man.

I might be wrong here, but I understood that the police had to parade for duty in those days. I can't help thinking that blood on a uniform would have been noticed.

Comment

Indeed Robert,

Men were mustered before being marched out on their beats. Here they would be inspected. Kit would have been checked, uniform and if the PC was suitable for duty (that is most often than not, sober). This inspection was done by the beat or Section Sergeant.

Then the Station Inspector, or Sergeant, would read the Police Orders for the day, highlighting the major points.

Once that is done the Bobbies were marched out on to their beats. Throughout the beats, the Beat Sergeant would do his rounds to ensure all is correct (see the McKenzie murder and Sgt Andrews).

Once the beat shift was completed the Beat Sergeant gathers the beats in and marches them back to the station.

When back at the Station a de brief occurs and the Sergeant will conduct another inspection where kit is again checked, uniform inspected and the fitness of the PC is made, to see if he has been drinking.

Monty
                              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                                Then the Station Inspector, or Sergeant, would read the Police Orders for the day, highlighting the major points.
                                Monty
                                Hi, Monty!

Thanks for that great description.

I'm wondering what type of things are included in Police Orders.

Thanks,
                                curious

Comment

Working...
                                X