9th nov 1889 letter suspect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9th nov 1889 letter suspect

I recently dug out Letters from Hell again and had not really studied this rhyming letter before, sent 9th Nov 1889 but it is almost like an uncanney Ripper voice. There is an authenticity about it which needs investigating.
    The profile of the man seems to have modern psychopath characteristics. He is very intelligent, self educated, gives the impression of being a higher class, despises police and others for not having the intelligence to find him. Hates prostitutes, and does not drink.Hates the upper classes but would like to be one of them. Disguises himself with different coats and hats. Has well sharpened knives. Go's to Millers Court after the death of Mary Kelly and chats to a policeman, returning to the crime scene[ confident the police would not suspect him ] who tells him a Polish knacker killed her.Has a friend called Frank who thinks he is mad, but despises Frank for not being smart enough to know he is the ripper.
    Like a lot of serial killers ,part of him wants to be recognised, so he sends a detailed, taunting rhyming letter on the Anniversary of Mary Kelly's death to Sir Charles Warren. Of course nothing is done about the letter. I am sure had such a letter been sent today after unsolved serial killings it would have been investigated, he leaves clues in the letter.
    What is the opinion on this? Makes more sense than 19th century artists

Miss Marple

address

Hello Miss Marple. You have induced me to go look up that letter. What caught my eye was the address, 22 Hammersmith rd.

Wonder who lived there?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

The letter to Forbes Winslow signed P S R Lunigi dated 22 november stating a murder would take place 8th / 9th november, but was not the date changed from 89 to 88 to turn it into a prediction. [ you know this already Lynn
      So was Winslow a bullshitter and did 22 Hammersmith rd exist? Will have to check. Winslow claimed it did not. How did the rhyming man know about the letter?

Miss Marple

Comment

Winslow

Hello Miss Marple. Thanks. No, I don't put much confidence in Winslow.

I think the best way to figure out whether the letter is important is to look into that address. Perhaps Simon Wood would know?

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Hammersmith rd did exist so why did Winslow lie? A search of the post office directories will hopefully find who lived there.

Miss Marple

Comment

directory

Hello Miss Marple. Thanks. Do you have a street directory? I believe Simon has one.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
              The letter to Forbes Winslow signed P S R Lunigi dated 22 november stating a murder would take place 8th / 9th november, but was not the date changed from 89 to 88 to turn it into a prediction. [ you know this already Lynn
              So was Winslow a bullshitter and did 22 Hammersmith rd exist? Will have to check. Winslow claimed it did not. How did the rhyming man know about the letter?

Miss Marple
              I think Inspector Reid was inferring that in 1912 along with Anderson and Griffiths.

It still amazes me that posters on here swear blind what Anderson, Macnagthen and Swanson said or wrote was correct, but these same posters always over look other officers who say they were talking out their backsides and several of those officers have the antecedents to rightly question the writings and ramblings of the aforemntioned three and maybe, just maybe these other officers were correct.

Comment

I usually look online at the Leicester university directory site, but its not an easy site to navigate. Westminster archives has a great collection of 19th cent Kellys as do some other London libraries. Might pop in next week. Prefer the books to the scans.

Miss Marple

Comment

yup

Hello Trevor. Yes, sometimes the coppers closest to the action can better assess the situation.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

good luck

Hello Miss Marple. Thanks. Good luck on that.

Of course when I read Hammersmith, I thought of William Morris.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Lvnn,
                      Kelmscott House where Morris lived,in upper Mall .Hammersmith is rather fabulous, by the river Not like Hammersmith Rd. To complicate things there was a Hammersmith Rd in Fulham.

Miss Marple

Comment

Hi Miss Marple, Lynn

I think it's the same road. In the 1891 census the even numbers are listed under Hammersmith, the odds under Fulham. Number 22 is listed.

Comment

coincidence

Hello Miss Marple. Thanks. I was just noting a coincidence. I have a volume of Morris' correspondence in my library.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

name

Hello Sally. Thanks. Any name attached?

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

Frank/Funk/Flunk mentioned in the letter = Forbes Winslow

Forbes Winslow's letter was published in the press in Oct 1889
                              Last edited by Nemo; 08-21-2012, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X