Henry/ Harry Buckley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some clarification is needed.
    I assume that Stephen Kendall-Lane is the grandfather of Fiona?
    In which case is the reference to the man Buckley, based on a written , or oral account from him.
    I should say that the wounding of a man in a leg, is a long way from severe mutilation of females., and cannot see the significance, apart from a man with a ginger mustache been present in the area,.
    Regards Richard.

Comment

Hi Richard,

Well, a man with a ginger mustache, who's in the area, and willing to use a knife, and who would have reason to be familiar with Mary Jane, is a potentially interesting individual. Finding out more about him would, even if it doesn't lead to him increasing in probability of being JtR, provide some interesting details with respect to life around Dorset Street. I'm really enjoying this thread everyone. Good stuff.

- Jeff

Comment

It’s worth noting that Manning and the unnamed woman went to 37, Dorset Street, which had been Thomas Bowyer’s address a few weeks before.

It was also the house from which Mary Ann Austin was evicted shortly before her murder.
        Last edited by MrBarnett; 05-16-2019, 10:06 AM.

Comment

so looks like the most likely age is 36. and cox says specifically blotchy was 36. interesting.
          "Is all that we see or seem
          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
            Some clarification is needed.
            I assume that Stephen Kendall-Lane is the grandfather of Fiona?
            In which case is the reference to the man Buckley, based on a written , or oral account from him.
            I should say that the wounding of a man in a leg, is a long way from severe mutilation of females., and cannot see the significance, apart from a man with a ginger mustache been present in the area,.
            Regards Richard.
            Stephen Kendall-Lane is the husband of Fiona Kendall-Lane. The family say they have photographs of John McCarthy and of Mary Kelly. It is possible a photograph of Henry Buckley may exist, but its guesswork as to why Stephen believes 'Harry' Buckley fits the description of the blotchy man Cox described. It may be from a written or oral account. It may be an unreliable identification.

Maybe there's a chance an arrest record or a record exists from Buckley's stay at the Clerkenwell house of detention or some other record exists giving a description of Buckley and evidence for or against Buckley fitting this description can be found.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
              It’s worth noting that Manning and the unnamed woman went to 37, Dorset Street, which had been Thomas Bowyer’s address a few weeks before.

It was also the house from which Mary Ann Austin was evicted shortly before her murder.
              I'm very interested in the Manning incident. I assume the woman picked up Manning on Euston Street and he accompanied her to Spitalfields for the purpose of conducting some 'business'. However, it's possible Manning was resident in Dorset Street, picked up a woman and brought here back to his lodgings.
              Because of the train stations, Euston Street remains a popular pick up location for sex workers and their client's to this day and I'm sure it was in 1888. But if a woman from Dorset Street was targeting men as far as Euston Street and accompanying them to Dorset Street by cab, this paints a very different picture of how business was conducted than the traditional drunk man with an unfortunate in an alleyway for a quick knee trembler.

37, 38 and 39 Dorset Street were all run by John McCarthy in 1888. 39 is where Mary Kelly may have got her coal. 38 was where Liz Stride was living with Michael Kidney until she left him, a few days before her death.
              Liz Stride and Mary Ann Austin both had recently left the premises of John McCarthy only a few days before their death. In Liz's case, it looks like this was from her own choice, but Mary Ann was evicted.
              Mary Kelly and Liz Stride may have known each-other. It's certain John McCarthy knew Liz Stride, he was her landlord. Under the circumstances, it's probable or at a minimum possible that Thomas Bowyer and Henry Buckley both knew Liz Stride.
              Last edited by seanr; 05-20-2019, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seanr View Post

I'm very interested in the Manning incident. I assume the woman picked up Manning on Euston Street and he accompanied her to Spitalfields for the purpose of conducting some 'business'. However, it's possible Manning was resident in Dorset Street, picked up a woman and brought here back to his lodgings.
                Because of the train stations, Euston Street remains a popular pick up location for sex workers and their client's to this day and I'm sure it was in 1888. But if a woman from Dorset Street was targeting men as far as Euston Street and accompanying them to Dorset Street by cab, this paints a very different picture of how business was conducted than the traditional drunk man with an unfortunate in an alleyway for a quick knee trembler.

37, 38 and 39 Dorset Street were all run by John McCarthy in 1888. 39 is where Mary Kelly may have got her coal. 38 was where Liz Stride was living with Michael Kidney until she left him, a few days before her death.
                Liz Stride and Mary Ann Austin both had recently left the premises of John McCarthy only a few days before their death. In Liz's case, it looks like this was from her own choice, but Mary Ann was evicted.
                Mary Kelly and Liz Stride may have known each-other. It's certain John McCarthy knew Liz Stride, he was her landlord. Under the circumstances, it's probable or at a minimum possible that Thomas Bowyer and Henry Buckley both knew Liz Stride.
                ive often thought bowyer needs more looking at.

"Is all that we see or seem
                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

ive often thought bowyer needs more looking at.
                  Hi Abby,

Bowyer doesn’t seem to fit the mould of the usual Dorset Street ‘shopman’. They seem generally to have been younger Eastenders of Irish descent.

Bowyer (if we’ve got the right man) was in his 40s and suffering from ill health in 1888. He was born in Clapham and seems not to have any Irish antecedents.

His army record shows he had a noticeable ‘liver spot’ on his face - a ‘blotch’, if you like.

Gary
                  Last edited by MrBarnett; 05-21-2019, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by seanr View Post

38 was where Liz Stride was living with Michael Kidney until she left him, a few days before her death.
                    Isn't it the case that we can only definitely say that Kidney was living there at the time of her inquest? Before she died, Stride was living at 32 Flower & Dean Street.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      Isn't it the case that we can only definitely say that Kidney was living there at the time of her inquest? Before she died, Stride was living at 32 Flower & Dean Street.
                      Did Kidney have a liver spot?

Comment

Did Kidney have a liver spot?
                        Maybe, but that'd be specklation on my part.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Maybe, but that'd be specklation on my part.
                          That was truly offal!

Comment

That was truly offal!
                            Organ!

... I mean, "Groan!"
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Organ!

... I mean, "Groan!"
                              Looking for a possible Patrick Manning, I found an interesting one, a 44-year-old gas stoker living in Stanley Road, Fulham in 1891.

Ring any bells, Gareth?

Comment

Looking for a possible Patrick Manning, I found an interesting one, a 44-year-old gas stoker living in Stanley Road, Fulham in 1891.

Ring any bells, Gareth?
                                Was it Adrianus Morgenstern?
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                                X