Henry/ Harry Buckley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    However if he was known around Miller's Court, I would have expected Mrs Cox to have recognised him.
    Precisely what I was going to say, Joshua. I see that Trevor agrees as well.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

what year was the other woman murdered in dorset st/millers court?
      Hi Abby,

Do you mean Kitty Roman? She was murdered in Millers Court in 1909, by which time Buckley was long dead, but Billy Maher was still going strong.

Or are you thinking of Mary Ann Austin (1901)?

Gary

Comment

In the 1881 Census he is listed at 27, Dorset Street as a boarder with John McCarthy and family. His age is listed as 26 (1855), so 33 in 1888, b. Mile End. The name on the census is Henry Buckley.

Comment

This might be his court appearance? He was acquitted of wounding.

January 1889 at Clerkenwell, Middlesex

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
            In the 1881 Census he is listed at 27, Dorset Street as a boarder with John McCarthy and family. His age is listed as 26 (1855), so 33 in 1888, b. Mile End. The name on the census is Henry Buckley.
            Hi Jerry,

The age looks like 24 to me. As I say above, his occupation was recorded as ‘shopman’ - as was that of Daniel McCarthy, Jack’’’s younger brother.

I can’t see either of them weighing out screws of tea or bags of mint humbugs somehow.

Gary
            Last edited by MrBarnett; 05-14-2019, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Yes, that’s it, Jerry. His occupation was again recorded as ‘shopman’.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Hi Jerry,

The age looks like 24 to me. As I say above, his occupation was recorded as ‘shopman’ - as was that of Daniel McCarthy, Jack’’’s younger brother.

I can’t see either of them weighing out screws of tea or bags of mint humbugs somehow.

Gary
                Yes, my mistake, Gary. It does look like age 24 now that I zoom in.

Comment

thanks Harry (or is that henry? ; )
                  I'm often called Harold sarcastically, never Henry.

Comment

Another curious detail I've just noticed. In the newspaper clipping from Dec 1888, Henry Buckley's address is given as 26 Dorset Street.

Some people have speculated that there was a door at the back of 13 Miller's Court which can be seen in MJK1 in the top right corner. I'm not 100% sure there was a door there, but it does look a little bit like a door.

If that door did exist, where would it have led? - well, it would be door into 26 Dorset Street, wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Hi Abby,

Do you mean Kitty Roman? She was murdered in Millers Court in 1909, by which time Buckley was long dead, but Billy Maher was still going strong.

Or are you thinking of Mary Ann Austin (1901)?

Gary

thanks Gary!
                      either one but it dosnt matter to my query now as buckley was long gone before either was killed.

Comment

Yes, my mistake, Gary. It does look like age 24 now that I zoom in.
                        so 31 in 88? and this is henry buckley correct?
                        Last edited by Abby Normal; 05-14-2019, 07:56 PM.

Comment

so 31 in 88? and is this the harry or the henry?
                          Abby,

Yes, 31 then.

He is listed in the census as Henry Buckley, but I think it is the same man as the stabbing case that was acquitted. Both are listed as "shopman" living at 26/27 Dorset Street.

Comment

Abby,

Yes, 31 then.

He is listed in the census as Henry Buckley, but I think it is the same man as the stabbing case that was acquitted. Both are listed as "shopman" living at 26/27 Dorset Street.
                            thanks jer
                            I find this guy very intriguing. hes in the immediate area, as one of McCarthys lackeys he probably knew about Mary Kelly and her recent break up with Barnett. he was violent with a knife and he fits the description of blotchy and several other witness descriptions. agewise hes right in the wheelhouse too (perhaps for the torsos too but we wont go there! ; )

again, great find seanr!!

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

It was suggested that he was McCarthys strong arm man

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                              Who suggested this? Do we have a source for this claim?
                              Last edited by seanr; 05-14-2019, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                                I too am pretty sure that Harry is a common nickname for Henry. Just ask Henry D.

He does seem an intriguing fellow. However if he was known around Miller's Court, I would have expected Mrs Cox to have recognised him.
                                Does Mary Cox explicitly state that she did not know who he was?

Perhaps she did know and she withheld that information. She may have had good cause to do so, if he was her landlord's 'strong arm man'.

That Mary Cox did not name him as the man she saw with Mary Kelly is an important point, but it is not absolute proof that he wasn't the man in question.

I note other's in the past have speculated Mary Cox may have known who the man was but not given the name https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...n-cox#post6522.

Comment

Working...
                                X