The Mizen scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
    Oh. You have got a sense of humour ! (That was an amusing little aside). Thank's for the information (it may come in handy for a 'pub quiz').
    What'd come in even more use for a pub quiz might be the NEW name granted it just this year?

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
      What'd come in even more use for a pub quiz might be the NEW name granted it just this year?

All the best

Dave
      C'mon Dave -what was it then ? ( I just want to win for once).

(I really, really hope that it's not 'St. Dave's Tower' ) ? (Oh, God ...not the 'Olympic Tower' surely ?) (the 'Beckham Tower' ? -oh, no)
      ('The Queen's tower' ? T'he Elizabeth Tower' ?, The Daniel Craig's Budgie Huggers Tower' ?)
      Last edited by Rubyretro; 08-08-2012, 10:59 PM.
      http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

• As you posited "Elizabeth Tower"

Dave

Comment

As you posited "Elizabeth Tower"

Dave
          Yeeeeeessssss! Of course, I knew it. this is why I'm good at pub quizzes.
          Last edited by Rubyretro; 08-08-2012, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• No...if you'd been that good you wouldn't have been asking the question in the first place! If you'd been that good your local (as has ours) would've abandoned it's pub quiz!

All the best

Dave

Comment

• That was always a spanner in the works for London Cabby's doing the knowledge. From point (A) to St Stephens Tower ..

So they actually changed it then Dave .. i Knew they was thinking about it .

Here is another one for your pub quiz .. The bell itself nicknamed (Big Ben) , is Officially Known as (The Bell of Westminster ) .

moonbegger .

Comment

No...if you'd been that good you wouldn't have been asking the question in the first place! If you'd been that good your local (as has ours) would've abandoned it's pub quiz!

All the best

Dave
                Dave- I usually only compete at my 'local' (that is local to my family in England)
                twice or three times a year...

...but all the other competitors remember me..

I never win because they are all in teams of 4, and I'm always in a team of 2, and you get just get one measly extra point for having 2 brains instead of 4. + we are 2 girls and can't answer football questions. Or any sport questions, really.

But I read up general knowledge questions the rest of the year...and one day...one day I will get them....

(I can't understand why the other teams take it all so seriously).
                Last edited by Rubyretro; 08-08-2012, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• Hi Ruby

Me and the Missus and our near-neighbours compete as a team of four (sometimes with another couple)...but the local has just dropped it's regular Sunday pub quiz as we won (I think) 24 out of the last 26 weeks...this despite the landlord regularly partnering other teams in a bid to try to equal things up...other teams got dispirited and left until there was only one remaining opposing team...frankly it's not that we were even that brilliant...average good yes...but that's all...so were we supposed to lose deliberately? Dunno! All I know is the landlord and head barman seem to owe us a grudge!

All the best

Dave

PS You and me both re sport questions...but the male half of our near-neighbours is a huge sports fan!

Comment

• Aha! Moonbegger ! So you are a cabby ?

Now, who were you just 'private messaging' ? Calling for the cavalary to save you, eh ? They won't prevent you from being peeled and cored !

Comment

• Now, who were you just 'private messaging' ?
                      Hi dearest Ruby

As it happens he was PM-ing me regarding a folk connection who would REALLY blow your mind...Off-topic so do you want to continue here or elsewhere?

Lots of love

Dave

Comment

• Me and the Missus and our near-neighbours compete as a team of four (sometimes with another couple)...but the local has just dropped it's regular Sunday pub quiz as we won (I think) 24 out of the last 26 weeks...this despite the landlord regularly partnering other teams in a bid to try to equal things up...other teams got dispirited and left until there was only one remaining opposing team...frankly it's not that we were even that brilliant...average good yes...but that's all...so were we supposed to lose deliberately? Dunno! All I know is the landlord and head barman seem to owe us a grudge!
                        All the best

Dave

PS You and me both re sport questions...but the male half of our near-neighbours is a huge sports fan!
                        [/QUOTE]

That's a real shame. Good pub quizzes -( I am uncertain as to how you spell pub 'quizzes' -nul points) are hard to find. I've seen other ones but they're all about soap opera and commercial music. This quiz has real meaty questions, and everyone is terribly 'nice', and politely rabidly competitive.

Comment

• As Christer will advise you, I'm terribly nice too...my wife is even nicer!

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Moomin
                            I rather think if you go back through the numerous posts here you will find that those who have argued for Cross/Lechmere as a prime suspect have been at pains to point out that it is based in good measure on conjecture. That, quite simply, is the nature of 'suspectology'.
                            I have said that there isn't enough to convict anyone of the crimes, but that in my opinion a better case can be made against Cross/Lechmere than anyone else.
                            In my opinon all the evidence and references in the extant records as they relate to Cross/Lechmere can all be presented, plausibly (i.e. with his actions being palausible but having a 'guilty' implication). There is no evidence that has to be ignored. Nothing that has to be discounted.
                            I see that some people find this 'bad form'. Looking at Cross's actions and seeing if they have a guilty interpretaion that fits together.? It is what an investigator should do... isn't it? Cross/Lechmere is actually one of the tiny number of potential suspects where this exercise can be performed. By the way take a close look at anyone of the other 'cast of thousands' and try and do the same. If you think their cases through I would suggest it won't really work.

To make Cross/Lechmere innocent,for example, he used a different name than he always used when dealing with authority... why? Because it might be conjectured that he started work at Pickfords when called Cross? Or because his step-Dad was a policeman called Cross? Or because he was still commonly called Cross? All conjecture. Or he did it as he was guilty and it was part of some sort of subtefuge that he thought was useful to him in some way. Also conjecture of course.
                            He seems to have taken far too long to get from his house to Bucks Row. Why? Because he got his timings wrong? Because he dawdled? Or because he picked Polly up and killed her?
                            The manner in which he greated Paul was odd - the pirouette in the street, the touch on the shoulder, Paul feeling he was about to be mugged - why? Was Cross socially awkward? Was he unnerved by finding a body? Was he nervous himself? Or was he in a state of high anxiety after just committing a murder and being distubed?
                            Polly's clothing was left 'down'. Why? Because the killer just left them to drop there. Because the killer heard Cross coming and left quickly and unseen? Or because the killer was Cross and he was disturbed by Paul?
                            And so on and so on.

A myriad of 'excuses' are needed to make him innocent. That is what I mean by the case against Cross/Lechmere being' joined up'.
                            I don't think non facts have been dressed up as facts in this case.

By the way I just watched a programn about Harols Shipman
                            He seemed such a normal guy. No one thought he could be a murderer. People believed him. His work colleagues believed him. That is how these people are.

Oh, I was driving through Battersea today and saw a dosser sitting on the pavement by a park, in broad daylight. Clearly worse the wear for alcohol.
                            A young woman was sitting by him, trying to get his attention and was using her mobile phone, clearly to get assistance for him. A woman helping a man, in this socially disjointed city.
                            It made me think about Cross and how callous he must have been to abandon a woman who he though had been raped and was quite possibly still alive.

Comment

• I see that I have drawn criticism with my suggestion that if our man was called Lechmere at work, that he may have given his work colleagues a cockandbull story (ah - will that avoid the dreaded ****) to explain the newspaper reports of the inquest that called him Cross.
                              I based this on the premise that he booked a day off to attend the inquest so his presence at the inquest would have been known at his workplace at the outset.
                              Of course as Fishreman states, it is quite possible that he gave a different excuse for not going to work that day - we don't know.
                              However , let's go with the idea that he was known as Lechmere, attended the inquest and told his work mates that he was attending, yet called himself Cross at the inquest.
                              How in the world could he get away with that???

Hmmm.
                              A nanosecond of thought later.

Maybe they regarded him as good old Charlie. The bloke who had been there 20 years. Reliable, sensible, hard working, never any trouble. A bit nondescript.
                              He tells them from the outset that he called himself Cross because he didn't want to upset his good lady wife, and anyway it was his old dear departed step dad's name, and by the way, he was a copper.
                              So his work mates are going to report him for perjury are they?

Serial killers frequently continue with their sprees precisley because their colleagues didn't think for a second that the person they knew could be a murdering monster. That is invarianly how it goes down.

But I will repeat, the name swap is only the catalyst for looking closely at Cross/Lechmere. Once he has been looked at closely a whole host of other questionable aspects come to light.
                              As I have said, you try doing that to another 'innocent' bystander.

Comment

• Dave:

"As Christer will advise you, I'm terribly nice too...my wife is even nicer!"

Seconded - don´t know about your wife, though, but apparently, she´s got good taste.

In fact, add a little more of a logical sense and you will be too good for this world, Dave!

All the best,
                                Fisherman
                                Last edited by Fisherman; 08-09-2012, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X