The Mizen scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No spellcheck huh Lechmere?

I see. ‘And’ and ‘late’ are such buggers to spell.

OK, lets pick over this wreck of a post….

Monty
    You ask for facts and then answer with utter pie in the sky supposition, moulded byu a burning desire to find innocent explanations. I would suggest that a modren policeforce would not operate in such a manner or they would never apprehend, let alone suspect, anyone.
    I merely show that these presented facts of yours and Fishermans are not facts at all.

If Lechmeer left home at 3.30 he wpould have passed the murder scene at about 3.37 and been well down Old Montague Street (or Hanbury Street) by the time Paul apeared at Brown's Stable Yard.
    That is not conjecture.
    Heh, you use the word ‘if’ then state its not conjecture. Try looking up the word Conjecture, it will help you.

Its conjecture. Pure and simple conjecture.

You say we don't now how long he took to walk, whether he had ailments or whether he wanted to stop off on the way. Maybe he liked zig-zagging down te road - eh?
    We know that Cross kept up with Paul when he walked from Brown's Stable Yard to where they met Mizen which took four minutes including the time they spent over Polly's body.
    No, we know estimated times not established. 4 Minutes from that’s spot in Bucks Row to the corner of Bakers Row/Old Montague Street/Hanbury Street does not suggest swift pace.

As a side point. I never stated ‘zig zagging’. Those are your words and not mine.

We know he kept up with Paul up to Corbett's Court.
    We don’t know if Paul slowed down for him.

He claims he was in work by 4 am.
    He does claim that.

I think Monty your conuecture's in answer to Fisherman's point about timings are utterly baseless.
    I agree. However they are just as baseless as stating the times to the exact minute, which is what you require to bolster Cross. You have not taken into accounts any variants at all.

You think the timings aren't relevant? Are you being serious? Having the opportunity to commit the crime due to the timings is quite obviously relevant.
    Yep, very serious. The timings are far from established, therefore to base any conclusion on said timings results in a conclusion open to question. You do not have the full information to hand, therefore you guess, therefore we have that word again…conjecture.

You then seem to completely miss the point about the Tabram, Chapman and Eddowes reference with regard to the positioning of Polly's garments. With the three aforementioned victims, the garments were left 'up' displaying the abdominal wounds. In the case of Nichols, the garments were left 'down' hiding the abdominal injuries. This difference can be explained by the cuplrit being disburbed and wishing to disguise somewhat what had transpired.
    No I do not miss the point. I agree with you, the difference can be explained by that however not fully. It’s the next part which I do not get….

As Cross seen by Paul very close to the body prior to Cross raising the alarm, this should be a matter of interest and would be I am sure to any half efficient police force today - were this case to be tranported 124 years into the future

Right, so we make the leap that Cross has killed Nichols. This based on his proximity to her body when Paul arrives.

How close is ‘very close’?

Why didn’t he flee?

Could not the true killer have placed Nichols clothing upon Cross’s arrival?

You know nothing of Police procedure of the time, that is clear. You also know nothing of what action was taken regarding Cross.

Then you say that Hanbury Street is the natural direction for Broad Street. Hmmm. I rather think the 'natural' direction is the shortest route - don't you?
    Hmmm, no. The shortest route is entirely that, short and quick. However, as Dave points out, it may not be the route preferred by Cross for whatever reason (as Dave points out also). Cross's natural route may not be the shortest, again you assume.

You say the time difference is min imal. It isn't excessive but it is sevral minutes amndf if you ar elkate for work the presumption would be to take the shortest and quickest route.
    If you were late for work. Or if being late for work really doesn’t matter as you are fully aware any time lost would be made up. Especially if one had a valid excuse like, oh, I don’t know, finding a woman in the street which you suspect was dead and notifying the police.

Let me also tell you that a carman of twnety years local expirence would absolutely certainly have known the shortest and quickest routes. It was their job to know such things.
    You have no need to tell me anything Lechmere, that is clear. However to weigh up the quickest against the safest and decide the difference is minimal (several minutes as you admit) then, as stated, the latter would suffice. Especially after finding a woman in the street.

I think we can assume Cross was headed for Broad Street as he worked there and that is where he said he was going.
    Agreed, however this is not ascertained fact. Therefore conjecture.

Again you conjecture that Cross may have had other tasks to perform in the market (Spitalfields I pressume) or may have stopped off for sustainence.
    Agreed again. Goose and Gander.

Again - Cross himself claimed to have got to work by 4 am . This actiually was impossible unless he sprinted but if he stopped off after leaving Paul he would have been even later. In other words Cross's own testimony makes your conjecture unfounded.

The relevance to Cross as the culprit is that by going down Hanbury Street he discovered where Paul worked and the next body appeared 100 yards from Paul's workplace. By going down Hanbury Street Cross also avoided going down Old Montague Street when he left Mizen - in the direction where Tabram's body had been found a few weeks before. I will spell out the implication here. It could have lit a little light in Mizen's mind if he had walked off in that direction and Mizen may have thought afterwards - 'hold on a minute...'
    So Cross is willing to brazen it out with Nichols but very scared to go Old Montague Street way incase the very thick and incompetent Mizen makes a connection? Really?

And murders near Pauls workplace because?

We are delving off into the realms of uber conjecture now. Outstanding summising, outstanding.

Lechmere is an anglicised name. The family name is as old as the Norman Conquest. There is a saying that when there are no more Lechmere in Worcestershire, there will be no more apples in Worcestershire.
    Very interesting.

You then seem to say that giving a fake name to the police doesn't matter so long as the police don't find out about it.

A novel approach

Its obvious you do not understand my point. The name is indeed irrelevant. It is the known as, the seen before. In other words its Paul and Mizen recognising the man who gave his name as Cross.

He gave an alternate name. Did he give an alternate work address? An alternate home address?

This name propaganda holds no relevance whatsoever and is not evidence of a killer.

It is beyond reason.

One extra factlet for you - Mizen referred to him as 'Cross' at the inquest but Mizen also said he only found out his name was Cross that morning... at the inquest...
    No doubt that is of no significance.
    Again, it is not the name but that he was recognised. Muhammed Ali was known as Cassius Clay. Yet he is the same man. The name is of no great significance yet is used as ‘proof’ of Cross’s guilt.

You say you have no idea why the following implicate Cross:
    "Mizen testified that Lechmere had claimed that another policeman awaited him in Buck´s Row.
    " He also claimed that Lechmere had worded this in a passive mode, not giving away that Lechmere himself had found Nichols.

"Lechmere himself said that he and Paul had felt Nichols hands and face for warmth, but that he had rejected to help prop her up. "
    By saying another policeman wanted him, Mizen did not feel the need to take Cross's name and address. If you cannot see that this would be to the advantage of a murderer, well what can one say?
    By implying that he did npt find the body himself would again defuse any possible reason for Mizen to take his details.
    By avoiding propping Polly up, Cross ensured that Paul did not see the massive neck injury that would have immediately become apparent and the fact of Polly's grusome death would have been obvious, which was not the case up to then. If it did become obvious, then Paul might insist on knocking neighbours up and making an immediate fuss. A murderer would want to avodi that possibility.
    An innocent passer by would not wanted to have propped up a person found in the street, especially if they thought said person was dead. I don’t think Id have been too keen, would you?

What you have actually done is come up with some innocent explanations for Cross/Lechmere's behaviour - but interpretations that are mostly based on factual falsehoods or extremnely unlikley possibilities that dramatically fail the 'reasonableness' test.
    I know some of this duplicates Fisherman's post.
    What I have done is no different to what you and Fisherman have done. Placed interpretation on information provided. What I haven’t done is stamped my feet and claimed this is what happened, this is fact, ergo Cross is guilty.

Your line about falsehoods amuses me, mainly because you and Christer have far from established fact. You have merely based your conclusions on interpretation of information, as have I.

Just that our conclusions differ. Therefore the case fails the reasonable test. In fact, our solicitors would even have taken it to court.

Christer,

Not even worth my time.

Its clear to all I was referring to the style rather than you personally.

Deal with it.

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Monty:

"Not even worth my time."

I always find it is worth MY time to clear away misconceptions. I don´t, however, work from the assumption that what I say is always very clear to all, whereas my opponent is necessarily the only one who misunderstands. That would be arrogant.

"Deal with it"

Just did, Monty - just did.

All the best,
      Fisherman

Comment

• Monty!

Not that I see you are open to much reasoning other than you own, but for sanity´s sake, I think this passage of yours needs a little amendment:

"What I have done is no different to what you and Fisherman have done. Placed interpretation on information provided. What I haven’t done is stamped my feet and claimed this is what happened, this is fact, ergo Cross is guilty. "

To begin with, you are absolutely correct in saying that you do what I have done - you take the information and put an interpretation on it. Anybody is welcome to do that - and anybody else is welcome to try and assess how good the interpretation is in the context of finding a functioning explanation to what went down on the 31:st of August.

The problem only arises when you say that you have not stamped your feet and claimed that your suggestions must be what truly happened, you have not claimed that what you suggest are facts, and you have not claimed that Cross MUST be innocent.

It would seem that you want to lead on that I have done so, Monty? Unless this is another "Cornwellianism"? Maybe there is no accusation involved in these sentences of yours - you are perhaps only speaking of yourself, and not of me and Lechmere (the poster)? Hm?

Anyhow, I will run the risk of misinterpreting you once again (everybody else out here will surely know what YOU meant at any rate!), and work from the assumption that you ARE after pointing me out as somebody who has claimed that all my suggestions are facts and that Lechmere must be the killer as a consequence of this.

The problems I have with that is that it is not true. There ARE a good deal of facts involved, but none of the facts can convict Lechmere. This I have said before, and this I say again. And that is why I don´t SAY that the facts convict Lechmere.
        I DO say, however, that many of the established facts lend themselves to entertaining suspicion about the man. And yes, what must be added to the facts to reach that stance is interpretation of the facts. Supposition, if you prefer that term, conjecture if you wish to use that word. Be my guest.

I can guarantee you that no case can be brought against any suspect without that particular element. I can furthermore assure you that there was never any rule around that says that we may not use that element. Theorizing is absolutely necessary in order to make a case against ANY suspect, I think most posters (though I would not say all of them, Monty ...) are willing to recognize this. At the very least, posters who present information about a PC like Mizen as being "thick" may need to accept such a thing - since that is nothing but a personal, unsubstantiated interpretation that others may well disagree with.

Anyhow, Monty - all that blustering and all them accusations of yours are very much out of place. Nobody is saying that it is a proven fact that Lechmere was the killer. Does that make you feel any better? What is being said is that a very good case can be built against him, but yes, it takes an interpretation of the facts - a very common practice. Why that should have you flying off the handle is beyond me. Was it something with your supper yesterday ...?

All the best,
        Fisherman

Comment

• All Cog has done us throw up dome disjointed innocent conjecture, that contrasts to the 'guilty' conjecture which is 'joined up' in the sense that it all has the same underlying explanation - he was guilty - rather than forgetful about time, late for work, had only one set of clothes, got in a muddle with Muzen, Mizen was lazy, the dress just fell down that way, he liked the sights and sounds of scenic Hanbury Street etc etc etc
          So what is your definition of "joined up"....I'd guess "in agreement with you"...I'm trying to point out to you that what you present as "joined up" fact is actually nothing more than conjecture...which to your credit you've finally admitted...thank you for that belated scrap of honesty.

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
            Monty:

"Not even worth my time."

I always find it is worth MY time to clear away misconceptions. I don´t, however, work from the assumption that what I say is always very clear to all, whereas my opponent is necessarily the only one who misunderstands. That would be arrogant.

"Deal with it"

Just did, Monty - just did.

All the best,
            Fisherman
            Obviously not, as you continue.

Monty!

Not that I see you are open to much reasoning other than you own, but for sanity´s sake, I think this passage of yours needs a little amendment:

"What I have done is no different to what you and Fisherman have done. Placed interpretation on information provided. What I haven’t done is stamped my feet and claimed this is what happened, this is fact, ergo Cross is guilty. "

To begin with, you are absolutely correct in saying that you do what I have done - you take the information and put an interpretation on it. Anybody is welcome to do that - and anybody else is welcome to try and assess how good the interpretation is in the context of finding a functioning explanation to what went down on the 31:st of August.

The problem only arises when you say that you have not stamped your feet and claimed that your suggestions must be what truly happened, you have not claimed that what you suggest are facts, and you have not claimed that Cross MUST be innocent.

It would seem that you want to lead on that I have done so, Monty? Unless this is another "Cornwellianism"? Maybe there is no accusation involved in these sentences of yours - you are perhaps only speaking of yourself, and not of me and Lechmere (the poster)? Hm?

Anyhow, I will run the risk of misinterpreting you once again (everybody else out here will surely know what YOU meant at any rate!), and work from the assumption that you ARE after pointing me out as somebody who has claimed that all my suggestions are facts and that Lechmere must be the killer as a consequence of this.

The problems I have with that is that it is not true. There ARE a good deal of facts involved, but none of the facts can convict Lechmere. This I have said before, and this I say again. And that is why I don´t SAY that the facts convict Lechmere.
            I DO say, however, that many of the established facts lend themselves to entertaining suspicion about the man. And yes, what must be added to the facts to reach that stance is interpretation of the facts. Supposition, if you prefer that term, conjecture if you wish to use that word. Be my guest.

I can guarantee you that no case can be brought against any suspect without that particular element. I can furthermore assure you that there was never any rule around that says that we may not use that element. Theorizing is absolutely necessary in order to make a case against ANY suspect, I think most posters (though I would not say all of them, Monty ...) are willing to recognize this. At the very least, posters who present information about a PC like Mizen as being "thick" may need to accept such a thing - since that is nothing but a personal, unsubstantiated interpretation that others may well disagree with.

Anyhow, Monty - all that blustering and all them accusations of yours are very much out of place. Nobody is saying that it is a proven fact that Lechmere was the killer. Does that make you feel any better? What is being said is that a very good case can be built against him, but yes, it takes an interpretation of the facts - a very common practice. Why that should have you flying off the handle is beyond me. Was it something with your supper yesterday ...?

All the best,
            Fisherman
            You begged my input, and I gave it.

You obviously dont like it. No issue. When you have something of importance to say, I may react. Until then, Ive said my piece.

The case against Cross is weak at the moment. Very weak.

I await the inevitable with little interest.

Monty
            Monty

Comment

• Monty:

"The case against Cross is weak at the moment. Very weak."

That´s YOUR take, Monty. Others disagree very much. And in a practical sense, at the very least, Lechmere remains the best suspect we have. The objections that have been raised on this thread are weak. Very weak.

There´s something for YOU to deal with.

"I await the inevitable with little interest."

A truly royal approach, Monty, as could be expected! If you could take the time to bolster your statement that I have claimed on these boards that the facts convict Lechmere as the killer, it would make for interesting reading!

If it asking too much, though, and if you have other, more pressing errands to carry out for the benefit of Ripperology, then I will of course understand.

Fully, in fact.

All the best,
              Fisherman

Comment

• Monty:

"The case against Cross is weak at the moment. Very weak."

That´s YOUR take, Monty. Others disagree very much. And in a practical sense, at the very least, Lechmere remains the best suspect we have. The objections that have been raised on this thread are weak. Very weak.

There´s something for YOU to deal with.
                Really? Because that contradicts the numerous PMs Ive had the last 24 hours stating the opposite.

You should set up a poll and let the public decide.

Is Cross the best suspect we have?

Can YOU deal with that?

"I await the inevitable with little interest."

A truly royal approach, Monty, as could be expected! If you could take the time to bolster your statement that I have claimed on these boards that the facts convict Lechmere as the killer, it would make for interesting reading!

If it asking too much, though, and if you have other, more pressing errands to carry out for the benefit of Ripperology, then I will of course understand.

Fully, in fact.

All the best,
                Fisherman
                Yep, the inevitable happened, and with little interest. No wonder people would rather PM me than engage you in debate.

Monty
                Monty

Comment

• Cog old chap, I have said on countless occasions that conjecture is an essential part of this business.

Comment

• Monty:

"Really? Because that contradicts the numerous PMs Ive had the last 24 hours stating the opposite.

You should set up a poll and let the public decide.

Is Cross the best suspect we have?

Can YOU deal with that?"

Why wouldn´t I? And why would my stance be useful only if it was confirmed by the rest? Galilei, Monty. Or a million flies.

Besides, why would we need a poll? You have already established the exact amount of usefulness that adheres to my thinking. It is directly relatable to how many PM:s you get, is it not? If people cheer you on, it must be because you are right, thus. Actually, I could expand on that for an eternity, but I fear it would be lost on you.

"Yep, the inevitable happened, and with little interest. "

Yes it did - you failed to substantiate your accusations.

All the best, Monty. I mean it.
                    Fisherman

Comment

• The nature of this beast is that most people have their favourite suspectand most of those that don't are hostile to the concept of a genuine suspect being named or proposed. Hence suspect popularity polls are more than a little ridiculous and those who base their arguments around 'more people are on my side than your side' types of arguments are clutching at straws.
                      There is an inbuilt negativity, hostility, lack of responsiveness, an unwillingness to reappraise sensibly - call it what you will from the 'old guard' (let's not call it a cabal) and from those who wish to be associated with the 'old guard' to reevaluate some aspects of this case. In many wYs I am a 'traditionalist' - I accept most of the general flow of what they thought happened at the time - including adding more victims and not taking any away. However a close examination of the circumstances around Cross and the Nichols murder has illustrated that the accounts of that murder written up by the 'old Guard' have regularly missed several potentially vital clues which have been highlighted here and I think dome people feel threatened by this.
                      Last edited by Lechmere; 08-06-2012, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• And I think that a thousand posts go to show that whatever people think about the relevance of the Lechmere bid, it is nevertheless a proposition that evokes a lot of thoughts and feelings. That alone tells me that there is a need to discuss and assess the material amongst very many out here.

The best,
                        Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                          The nature of this beast is that most people have their favourite suspectand most of those that don't are hostile to the concept of a genuine suspect being named or proposed. Hence suspect popularity polls are more than a little ridiculous and those who base their arguments around 'more people are on my side than your side' types of arguments are clutching at straws.
                          There is an inbuilt negativity, hostility, lack of responsiveness, an unwillingness to reappraise sensibly - call it what you will from the 'old guard' (let's not call it a cabal) and from those who wish to be associated with the 'old guard' to reevaluate some aspects of this case. In many wYs I am a 'traditionalist' - I accept most of the general flow of what they thought happened at the time - including adding more victims and not taking any away. However a close examination of the circumstances around Cross and the Nichols murder has illustrated that the accounts of that murder written up by the 'old Guard' have regularly missed several potentially vital clues which have been highlighted here and I think dome people feel threatened by this.
                          Threatened? In what way? About what?

No 'inbuilt negativity', just not the willingness to accept any old crap. The 'old guard' are experienced and know exactly what it takes to build a sound case.

The New Guard will do well to fashion themselves with the facts of the case and leave to evaluate properly.

The Old Guard are leaving this thread well alone, they see it for what it is.

Monty
                          Monty

Comment

• Monty:

"The 'old guard' are experienced"

No doubt, Monty!

"... and know exactly what it takes to build a sound case."

Exactly, no less! Then you would perhaps care to state against whom sound cases have been built? I take it the Old Guard all agree on that score? And I take it that at least SOME sound case has been made, yes?

So, Monty? Kosminsky? Druitt? Grainger? Levy? Cutbush? Tumblety?

Would any of these guys apply? And what would it be that made them sound cases, apart, perhaps, from having been researched by members of the Old Guard (you will no doubt agree that it is not the name of the researcher that governs the credibility of the bid, but instead the built-in implications).

Just asking, Monty. Maybe I will learn something new today.

All the best,
                            Fisherman

Comment

• You should set up a poll and let the public decide.
                              Yeah, we already did that Monty. And they did.

But I know, I know -

All Conjecture is equal, but some Conjecture is more equal than other Conjecture - right? So no matter how many think (most people can do this for themselves, it turns out, how about that) that there is little in the 'Lechmere bid' to get excited about; the minority faith club is RIGHT.

I guess that's why most people have given up and gone home. No sense without reason, as they say.

Comment

• Sally:

"All Conjecture is equal, but some Conjecture is more equal than other Conjecture - right? So no matter how many think (most people can do this for themselves, it turns out, how about that) that there is little in the 'Lechmere bid' to get excited about; the minority faith club is RIGHT."

The minority faith club is potentially right, yes. It also applies that they are potentially wrong. And painting the self same club out as a bunch of fundamentalists does nothing favourable for your own credibility, Sally - whatever level THAT is at.

Lechmere EITHER did it or not. I think that he did, but I freely admit that I do not have anything but circumstancial evidence to bolster my case. That is - for the umpteenth time - not the same thing as going around saying that I must be right, is it?

One has to wonder why you would want to lead on something like this, Sally. I can only guess the reason, and I have only circumstantial evidence to do so.

"I guess that's why most people have given up and gone home."

Absolutely. 1004 posts and counting. All gone home. No interest at all!

All the best,
                                Fisherman

Comment

Working...
                                X