X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thoughts

Hello Christer. Thanks.

“I would rather call it disappointed - and enlightened.”

Well, don’t feel offended, but, I too, am disappointed. I have spent many a happy time watching you whilst giving good reasons for Toppy not to be involved as a killer. And now . . .

Again, forgive me, but I am reminded of a line from “Forbidden Planet” ascribed to Dr. Morbius (Walter Pigeon). “My poor Krell! After a million years of shining sanity!”

Since logic dictates that the triumvirate of the scam, the name swop and the Cable Street address are all potentially very damning clues vis-a-vis Lechmere . . .”

Christer, old friend, as long as you continue to use this language, you will be able to see nothing else but his “guilt.” If I see some chap in a crowd and you ask me, “Who is that sinister looking chap?” I might search and claim I see no such. Then you might point and say, “There! Look there! See his sneer and that shifty eye? O, what dark deed is he contemplating, I wonder?” I might respond again in the same manner. But, at length, I might be prodded into thinking him actually dangerous.

Yet again, forgive me but I feel like I’m on one of those post-Impressionist threads where someone (Toulouse-Lautrec?) was being advocated as linked to the ripper. I made the silly mistake of asking why. It was pointed out to me that there was a mysterious red head in the painting (implication—MJK). I asked why mysterious? The reply, “Well, we don’t know her name.” But when I pointed out that such was true of all the characters in the painting, I was lambasted. I wisely left the thread, and allowed the post-Impressionist chap to stand or fall on the “market-place of ideas.” So far, he has few takers.

“ . . . my disappointment lies in your decision not to recognize this, whereas my enlightenment rest on the very same thing.”

In saying this, you inadvertently advocate an epistemological doctrine called “Doxastic Voluntarism.” Roughly, this is the doctrine that one believes what one chooses to believe, irrespective of one’s intellectual assessment of evidential value. (The opposing doctrine is “Doxastic Intellectualism.”)

Now, do you think that, by willing, I can suddenly say, “Ah, yes! Now I accept Cross as the slayer of five or more women.”? Well, I could say it, but that would be a definite lie, not merely a putative one—as with Cross. I simply don’t accept that he was a killer, at least, not at this time.

Two people see a 2D representation of stairs. One proclaims, “Ascending!”; the other avers, “Not a bit of it! They’re descending!” Is either dishonest or stupid? Maybe not. Perhaps each honestly holds to a position vis-à-vis the same optical illusion, and those positions differ.

Now, you see a blatant lie. I see a man using a name, one which, although possibly not in current use, was used in his behalf at one time. In my view this is tantamount to my using my middle name coupled with cognomen. Normally, I use Christian name with cognomen.

You see the motivation for this switch as his wish to avoid Mizen, and predicated on his having killed Polly. I see the motivation, also, as a wish to avoid Mizen, but predicated on his wish to avoid a troublesome state of affairs for a working bloke.

“If somebody is that determined to play down valuable evidence . . . “

But in thinking of it this way, you attribute a wrong motive. I wish the “evidence” to have WHATEVER value it ought (epistemic “ought”—not the ethical one) to have. Personally, I think it has enough to merit further investigation. Not, however, enough for me to declare, “Ah ha! It’s the Ripper!” And then throw in MJK, Liz, Tabram, Ada, and a host of others, merely because some modern social scientific (note the oxymoron involved in that?) theory claims that serial killers must have a practise period.

Now, of course I could try to be placative and fib about my beliefs. But to me, that would be a very insulting form of condescension. I treat others as adult theorisers and, if they cannot see why I believe what I believe, then I withdraw and wait for their further consideration. If it’s not forthcoming, well, that’s just how things doxastic work.

Again, I would be very sorry if you were offended. I in no way ask you to give up your speculation on Cross. Rather, I hope you to pursue it to its logical conclusion—up or down.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

• Shamans R us.

Hello Sally. Thanks.

"Sounds most uncomfortable Lynn - I wouldn't recommend it."

Not to worry. I gave up on psychology about 30 years ago when the textbook I was reading indicated that the African tribal shaman had a patient recovery rate 1% HIGHER than the trained and licensed therapist could boast. Really.

"Lynn, if the C5+ or - Tabram were killed by the same hand, maybe we simply need another mad pork butcher?"

A mad person cannot plan well, as was obviously done in Kate's case. And Kate's "butcher" was a rank tyro.

To put it succinctly:

1. Polly and Annie: No planning, expert execution.

2. Kate: Expert planning, poor execution.

(Now, I must behave and let the thread revert to Cross.)

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

• Lynn:

" as long as you continue to use this language, you will be able to see nothing else but his “guilt.” "

I thought that you would perhaps grant me the thought of being as unbiased as I could. If you have followed the posts on this thread, you will know that it was I and nobody else who first mentioned that an alternative way of looking upon the Mizen scam would be that Lechmere was simply late for work.

That´s how I prefer to work - by keeping doors open, Lynn. Letting on that I am unable to see anything but Lechmere´s guilt is deeply unfair, that´s how I see it. And the comparison you made between the three mentioned pieces of evidence and a black moustache was something that went a long way to show that much as you speak of MY unability to see anything but guilt, it would seem that YOU are having an extremely hard time assessing evidence.

Nothing more needs to be said in this department, Lynn. If you wish to point at every item belonging to the Lechmere bid as parts of a black moustache and nothing else, then I am wasting my time with you. Mind you, that is not to say that you cannot be right - all the bits and pieces pointing to Lechmere COULD hae other explanations that the sordid ones I suggest. It´s only when one suggests that no other solution would intelligibly apply that I loose interest.

All the best,
        Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
          I gave up on psychology about 30 years ago when the textbook I was reading indicated that the African tribal shaman had a patient recovery rate 1% HIGHER than the trained and licensed therapist could boast. Really.
          I'm not at all surprised to hear that Lynn. It's all in the mind.

But yes, back to Cross.

Comment

• objectivity, etc.

Hello Christer. Thanks.

"I thought that you would perhaps grant me the thought of being as unbiased as I could."

Well, you may be as unbiased as it is possible for a human to be. But, regrettably, true unbias is not possible.

"If you have followed the posts on this thread, you will know that it was I and nobody else who first mentioned that an alternative way of looking upon the Mizen scam would be that Lechmere was simply late for work."

Very well. But it's difficult to imagine that such was not suggested years ago when Cross was first proposed.

"That´s how I prefer to work - by keeping doors open, Lynn."

Well done.

"Letting on that I am unable to see anything but Lechmere´s guilt is deeply unfair, that´s how I see it."

Well, not wishing to be unfair, do you, indeed, see other than his guilt?

"And the comparison you made between the three mentioned pieces of evidence and a black moustache was something that went a long way to show that much as you speak of MY unability to see anything but guilt, it would seem that YOU are having an extremely hard time assessing evidence."

First, I'm sorry to have upset you so. Consider the remark withdrawn--if not the opinion.

Second, the last sentence indicates your deep feelings towards the evidence. I disagree with its value, therefore, I am not very good at assessing.

I understand. Really.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman
              I thought that you would perhaps grant me the thought of being as unbiased as I could. If you have followed the posts on this thread, you will know that it was I and nobody else who first mentioned that an alternative way of looking upon the Mizen scam would be that Lechmere was simply late for work.
              Ummm...actually, that was me...on the original Cross/Fisherman thread, right after your essay came out. My post was completely ignored. I pointed out that Cross actually offered a reason for his post-body discovery actions - that he wanted to get to work - but this explanation seems to have been discarded or forgotten in the hub bub of branding him the Ripper.

Regarding bias, how can you expect Lynn or anyone of giving you the benefit of a doubt, when you've stated BEYOND doubt, that you have become convinced Cross was the Ripper based on a conversation that's not fully documented and has multiple interpretations, a Cable Street address (what makes that so special?) and the fact that Cross found Nichols' body. How can you claim that you're unbiased?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Hello Fisherman /Lechmere ,

Firstly , i must thak you Fish for such an informative reply ..

20 James Street, St George Street
                Head: Chas. Allen Lechmere aged 31 born Soho - Carman
                Wife: Elizabeth Lechmere aged 31 born East London
                Children:
                Elizabeth Emily aged 7
                Thomas Allen aged 4
                George William aged 2
                James Alfred aged 1
                All born in Mile End
                1891:
                22 Doveton Street, Mile End
                Head: Charles A Lechmere aged 41 born Soho - Carman
                Wife: Elizabeth Lechmere aged 41 born Wapping
                Children:
                Elizabeth E aged 17 born Mile End - Purse maker
                Thomas A aged 14 - Vanguard (Carman)
                George W aged 12
                James A aged 11
                Louisa A aged 8
                Charles A aged 7
                Albert E aged 5

Ahh .. So it seems they could in fact be one and the same .. i thank you for clearing that one up for me .

OK what about the possibility that our man who found Polly , was maybe a friend , acquaintance or neighbour of Lechmere , who used his (Lechmere's less familiar ) identity as some kind of a mask to hide his own identity from the police , especially if he was wanted by the police and had many a reason himself to avoid police involvement , maybe he was wanted on some other unrelated and more mundane police arrest warrant ?

This could possibly explain his apparent unwillingness to get involved once he realized he could be drawn into something that may get him arrested for a totally unrelated crime .

It would even explain him showing up to the inquest wearing a sagging carman's apron .. totally embracing the roll he was forced to play ,
                ( Look at me , i AM Cross the carman ) and if he was a friend of Lechmere , who's to say Lechmere didn't give him an apron to add to his believability

In much the same way as my younger ( un-licenced ) self was allowed to drive around the streets of London , using my brothers driving Licence and ID, and i even managed to bluff my way past the occasional stop check

Another example would be Eddows passing herself of as Mary Kelly ..
                History is littered with hundred's of examples of wanted men passing their selves off as law abiding citizens when they are forced to do so in dealings with the law , and in many of the occasions their namesake's are fully aware of the scam .. perhaps this thread should not be called the Mizen scam , but indeed the Cross scam ?

So i guess my question would be , Is there any positive identifying evidence that links " witness #1 " as being the same Charles Lechmere who lived in Doveton rd .. any court sketches , descriptions that we can cross reference ?
                Having said that i guess if he ( witness #1 ) was on the ball , which i'm pretty sure he was , he would have taken all that into consideration as well !

cheers

Moonbegger .

Comment

• Hi All,

Regarding that horse you're flogging.

It's dead.

Regards,

Simon
                  Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                    Hi Moonbegger,
                    Just a quickie.
                    I did state that the killer missed a month, meaning the 30TH Sept led to the 9TH day of November.[39]
                    Regards Richard,
                    Hi Richard ,

Sorry , i misread it . i thought you were including the missed month as the 30 days . So who was it who wrote the 39 steps .. and what was they doing during that Autumn ?

Comment

• posted twice
                      Last edited by miss marple; 06-28-2012, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• That is a very interesting idea of Moonbegger's, that another man may have been using Letchere's identity.
                        What I cant get my head around is why a respectable working man, with a regular job. several children, and twenty years marriage would suddenly indulge in a bout of woman hating serial killing at the age of 40, and take to knocking off women on his way to work, he had not done so before he moved to Doveton St.
                        It feels wrong.
                        This man has no previous, in crime or violence or no afterwards, just a life of ordinary, steady achievement, as in being a supportive husband and father.
                        Fisherman,i it think it is valid to examine Cross, but if he was the Ripper and as yet you are only framing him for Polly, then where is his previous ?
                        He would have had a criminal life before1888 or exhibited signs of anti social behaviour or violence or had contact with police in a criminal way, or had experience with a knife etc etc something. He was a carman, he was not even in a job where he used a knife. There is nothing.
                        How can you connect him to the other murders? Did he leave home everyday at the same time, did he have a routine, so his wife expected Iim back at the same time with dinner on the table? if he had a regular life, It would have been difficult to nip out and murder a whore in the early hours in the middle of that domesticity with the wife and kids on your case. Even if he did different shifts. he was probably too knackered to go whore hunting in the early hours.
                        Just don't see it.
                        Miss Marple
                        Every penny counted

Comment

• Hi Lechmere.
                          Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                          Do you know of any other witness in this case who was allowed to use an alias to hide their identity for fear of attack?
                          And even if it were the case that Cross was allowed to use this name to protect himself, then it is more than probable that the confidential police records would have mentioned this.
                          If you mean that maybe Cross had private fears and that privately motivated him to give a false name, then I should have thought he wouldn't have given his address nor place of work.
                          Do you know of any reports that imply people in this case were frightened to give their names in case the culprit attacked them?
                          Don't panick Lechmere I was only asking why you were so sure it was a significant issue, I didn't think it was.
                          We don't know the reason's why anybody used an alias, we can only guess.

In the early days of these killings, like Tabram & Nichols, as you know, there was the consideration doing the rounds that a gang was involved.
                          Gangland retribution is an unpredictable phenomena, I can understand why a man might feel reluctant to give his real name. As the series of murders evolved I'm sure men did not feel as vulnerable as women, and especially as that certain class. But in these early cases likely both men and women were fearfull.

Giving a false name but a real address might speak against his attempt at anonymity, but this also speaks against an attempt at deception.

One point in your favour, if the real killer did show his face in the early stages of this series of murders, he must have presented an unlikely figure to the police. A role he successfully played through to the very end.

Regards, Jon S.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Judge Roberts...

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                            That is a very interesting idea of Moonbegger's, that another man may have been using Letchere's identity.
                            What I cant get my head around is why a respectable working man, with a regular job. several children, and twenty years marriage would suddenly indulge in a bout of woman hating serial killing at the age of 40, and take to knocking off women on his way to work, he had not done so before he moved to Doveton St.
                            It feels wrong.
                            This man has no previous, in crime or violence or no afterwards, just a life of ordinary, steady achievement, as in being a supportive husband and father.
                            Fisherman,i it think it is valid to examine Cross, but if he was the Ripper and as yet you are only framing him for Polly, then where is his previous ?
                            He would have had a criminal life before1888 or exhibited signs of anti social behaviour or violence or had contact with police in a criminal way, or had experience with a knife etc etc something. He was a carman, he was not even in a job where he used a knife. There is nothing.
                            How can you connect him to the other murders? Did he leave home everyday at the same time, did he have a routine, so his wife expected Iim back at the same time with dinner on the table? if he had a regular life, It would have been difficult to nip out and murder a whore in the early hours in the middle of that domesticity with the wife and kids on your case. Even if he did different shifts. he was probably too knackered to go whore hunting in the early hours.
                            Just don't see it.
                            Miss Marple
                            Every penny counted

While I wouldn't laud you for delicacy miss marple, your points are rock-solid.

I can't fathom why some are trying to pin these atrocities on poor Joe carman.....

After all, someone has to discover the body...

Methinks the perp was at least tipsy and perhaps offered Polly (and others) a nip or two....

Poor carman Cross was on the way to work and sober as a Judge..............

Greg

Comment

• Tom:

" How can you claim that you're unbiased?"

Well, Tom, according to Lynn, noone can. In my case, I do my best to look at both sides of the coing before I make my call - like when I wrote that Lechmere could have scammed Mizen since he was late. There are a number of other things too involved in this case where I see a very clear possibility that Lechmere lied, but I have not brought them up since I don´t think they make an equally good pointer to lying on his behalf as does the scam.

All in all, what I protest against in Lynn´s case is that he awarded the scam, the name swap and the Cable Street address find zero value, effectively. I have stated that I realize that these three parameters are no proof of guilt, but anybody should be able to see that they are potential pointers to that guilt, with built-in implications that are very serious indeed.

Saying that you think somebody was the Ripper does not have to be grounded on a wish to express a bias, Tom - it may equally be based on evidence. I research a man about whom I have very strong suspicions, and I have a feeling that the same goes for you. Does that make you biased? It is an unpleasant word, is it not?

All the best,
                              Fisherman

Comment

• apology

Hello Christer. I thought I had apologised for hurting your feelings in finding the evidence unpersuasive? I would never intentionally do that. If, however, you missed my retraction, permit me to say, I withdraw the moustache remark.

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X