A List of Ripper Suspects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    There's also a couple of recent books (thanks wyatt earp) which try to cover all known suspects, and each list well over 300, so you've some way to go for your own list.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jack-Ripper...amp;keywords=j ack+the+ripper+suspects

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jack-Ripper...amp;keywords=j ack+the+ripper+suspects&dpPl=1&dpID=51bqwA r5rEL&ref=plSrch
    Out of three hundred suspects it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks what are the chances the ripper is one of them. At that number i would say 70%

Comment

300 suspects, isn't that absurd? -- Ever hear the cliche that there is more printed words about JTR than there is for all the POTUS combined? I wonder if that is true. But even if it is not, the fact that people say it is bizarre enough.

Unless it turns out he is one of the contemporaneous suspects the police were looking at the time, such as Kosminski or Chapman, I suspect that JTR is unknown to history. I would bet the other way. I feel certain he is not one of the 'famous' people that has been put forth over the years, that likelihood I would bet big against.

Comment

Originally posted by APerno View Post
        300 suspects, isn't that absurd? -- Ever hear the cliche that there is more printed words about JTR than there is for all the POTUS combined? I wonder if that is true. But even if it is not, the fact that people say it is bizarre enough.

Unless it turns out he is one of the contemporaneous suspects the police were looking at the time, such as Kosminski or Chapman, I suspect that JTR is unknown to history. I would bet the other way. I feel certain he is not one of the 'famous' people that has been put forth over the years, that likelihood I would bet big against.
        I think out of all the named suspects, witnesses, persons of interest etc. that have been mentioned over the years that there is a good chance his name is among them. somewhere in there.

Comment

I do often wonder if something about the Ripper was being kept under wraps. All these witnesses and no firm identification. Certainly puts the Ripper up there with Dracula and the Invisible Man in terms of committing murder, then disappearing in a cloud of fresh air.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            I think out of all the named suspects, witnesses, persons of interest etc. that have been mentioned over the years that there is a good chance his name is among them. somewhere in there.
            A few hundred named suspects, not all of them based in the East End, out of tens of thousands of men who did live in the locality doesn't look like good odds to me. Given that out of those, perhaps only 10 or 20 - at a stretch - can be considered reasonable suspects, the chances that the Ripper's already been named are smaller still.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              A few hundred named suspects, not all of them based in the East End, out of tens of thousands of men who did live in the locality doesn't look like good odds to me. Given that out of those, perhaps only 10 or 20 - at a stretch - can be considered reasonable suspects, the chances that the Ripper's already been named are smaller still.
              I don't know sam, my dad used to say guilt is 51% suspicion. but then again he was talking about me and something I probably did. lol

Comment

I hope its alright to post today, its boxing day here and not much to do today, but I suppose its christmas day in the western hemishere.

These are the main/major suspects I've seen/heard. (They're all extant other peoples ones. I don't include ones that are only my own.)

I've divided the suspects into ones with and without a personal connection to the name Jack. Though it is not able to be proven whether the letter that first mentioned that name Jack was or was not from the murderer or was a hoax. And though it is not able to be proven why the murderer or hoaxer chose the name Jack.

JTR suspects with a demonstrated possible personal name connection with the name Jack:
                James Willoughby Carnac
                John Courtenay
                Montague John Druitt
                Jacob Isenschmid (Swiss)
                (Isaac Lewis) Jacobs
                Henry James
                Sir Edward Jenkinson
                James Kelly
                Mary Jane Kelly (Irish/Welsh)
                John Langan
                Jacob Levy
                James Maybrick
                George James Morris
                Joseph Merrick
                John M(a)cCarthy
                John Netley
                John Pizer (Polish Jew)
                Jack/James Russell of Horton Kirby
                James Thomas/Tom Sadler
                James K Stephen
                John Sanders
                John Pavitt Sawyer
                Dr/Sir John Williams

JTR suspects without a demonstrated personal name connection with the name Jack:
                Joseph Barnett
                Thomas Bernardo
                Nikaner Benelius
                Albert Bachert
                Alfred Napier Blanchard
                William Henry Bury (from Scotland)
                Helena Blavatsky
                David Cohen (Polish Jew)
                Dr Thomas Neill Cream (from Scotland)
                Thomas Hayne Cutbush
                Willy Clarkson
                Churchill
                Lewis Carroll / Charles Lutwidge Dodgson
                Dr Morgan Davies
                Frederick Bailey Deeming
                Carl F Feigenbaum (German, was in America)
                Fogelma (Norwegian)
                Jose Fleming
                Sir William Withey Gull
                Vincent William van Gough (Dutch)
                George Gissing
                W Gladstone
                George Hutchinson
                Lizzie Halliday
                H H Holmes
                Hyam Hyams
                Jong (meaning "young, junior", Dutch killer)
                Nathan Kaminsky
                Seweryn A Klosowski / George Chapman (Polish)
                Aaron M Kosminski (Polish Jew)
                Constance Kent
                Michael Kidney
                The Lodger
                Charles Allen Lechmere / Charles Cross
                Charles Ludwig (German)
                William Magrath/Mcgrath (Irish-American)
                Michael Maybrick / Stephen Adams
                Robert Mann
                Richard Mansfield
                Frank Miles
                Michael Ostrog (Russian)
                Dr Alexander Pedachenko (Russian)
                Mary Pearcy
                Oswald Puckridge
                Walter R Sickert (German/Danish/British)
                Joseph Silver / Joseph Lis (Polish Jew)
                Robert Donston Stephenson/Roslyn D'Onston Stephenson
                Alois Szemeredy
                G Wentworth Bell Smith
                Robert Louis Stevenson *
                Dr Stanley
                Francis Tumblety (American)
                Francis Thompson
                William Thicke
                Olga Tchkersoff
                Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence & Avondale
                Nicolai Vasiliev/Vassily
                L Forbes Winslow
                Lizzie Williams

* RLS doesn't have a personal name connection with the name Jack though he has other connections with persons/names Jack/John/Jenkin or Jeckyll.

Another way I divide the suspects is British and foreigners or Jews. Though it is not able to be proven whether the letter that said "I'm not a Yid nor a foreign skipper" was or was not from the murderer or a hoax, and the Juwes graffito and detected Irish speech may contradict the letter. I've noted those who are Jews or foreigners in brackets after their names (some others may also be Jews/foreigners but I haven't been able to check them all).

Apart from MJK from what I've read of most of the suspects so far I can't see much compelling evidence for any of them being JTR, and I see some reasons why a number of them are unlikely. Possibly JTR is some unknown common person who is probably now almost impossible to find and prove.

Comment

Originally posted by Vfor View Post
                  I hope its alright to post today, its boxing day here and not much to do today, but I suppose its christmas day in the western hemishere.

These are the main/major suspects I've seen/heard. (They're all extant other peoples ones. I don't include ones that are only my own.)

I've divided the suspects into ones with and without a personal connection to the name Jack. Though it is not able to be proven whether the letter that first mentioned that name Jack was or was not from the murderer or was a hoax. And though it is not able to be proven why the murderer or hoaxer chose the name Jack.

JTR suspects with a demonstrated possible personal name connection with the name Jack:
                  James Willoughby Carnac
                  John Courtenay
                  Montague John Druitt
                  Jacob Isenschmid (Swiss)
                  (Isaac Lewis) Jacobs
                  Henry James
                  Sir Edward Jenkinson
                  James Kelly
                  Mary Jane Kelly (Irish/Welsh)
                  John Langan
                  Jacob Levy
                  James Maybrick
                  George James Morris
                  Joseph Merrick
                  John M(a)cCarthy
                  John Netley
                  John Pizer (Polish Jew)
                  Jack/James Russell of Horton Kirby
                  James Thomas/Tom Sadler
                  James K Stephen
                  John Sanders
                  John Pavitt Sawyer
                  Dr/Sir John Williams

JTR suspects without a demonstrated personal name connection with the name Jack:
                  Joseph Barnett
                  Thomas Bernardo
                  Nikaner Benelius
                  Albert Bachert
                  Alfred Napier Blanchard
                  William Henry Bury (from Scotland)
                  Helena Blavatsky
                  David Cohen (Polish Jew)
                  Dr Thomas Neill Cream (from Scotland)
                  Thomas Hayne Cutbush
                  Willy Clarkson
                  Churchill
                  Lewis Carroll / Charles Lutwidge Dodgson
                  Dr Morgan Davies
                  Frederick Bailey Deeming
                  Carl F Feigenbaum (German, was in America)
                  Fogelma (Norwegian)
                  Jose Fleming
                  Sir William Withey Gull
                  Vincent William van Gough (Dutch)
                  George Gissing
                  W Gladstone
                  George Hutchinson
                  Lizzie Halliday
                  H H Holmes
                  Hyam Hyams
                  Jong (meaning "young, junior", Dutch killer)
                  Nathan Kaminsky
                  Seweryn A Klosowski / George Chapman (Polish)
                  Aaron M Kosminski (Polish Jew)
                  Constance Kent
                  Michael Kidney
                  The Lodger
                  Charles Allen Lechmere / Charles Cross
                  Charles Ludwig (German)
                  William Magrath/Mcgrath (Irish-American)
                  Michael Maybrick / Stephen Adams
                  Robert Mann
                  Richard Mansfield
                  Frank Miles
                  Michael Ostrog (Russian)
                  Dr Alexander Pedachenko (Russian)
                  Mary Pearcy
                  Oswald Puckridge
                  Walter R Sickert (German/Danish/British)
                  Joseph Silver / Joseph Lis (Polish Jew)
                  Robert Donston Stephenson/Roslyn D'Onston Stephenson
                  Alois Szemeredy
                  G Wentworth Bell Smith
                  Robert Louis Stevenson *
                  Dr Stanley
                  Francis Tumblety (American)
                  Francis Thompson
                  William Thicke
                  Olga Tchkersoff
                  Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence & Avondale
                  Nicolai Vasiliev/Vassily
                  L Forbes Winslow
                  Lizzie Williams

* RLS doesn't have a personal name connection with the name Jack though he has other connections with persons/names Jack/John/Jenkin or Jeckyll.

Another way I divide the suspects is British and foreigners or Jews. Though it is not able to be proven whether the letter that said "I'm not a Yid nor a foreign skipper" was or was not from the murderer or a hoax, and the Juwes graffito and detected Irish speech may contradict the letter. I've noted those who are Jews or foreigners in brackets after their names (some others may also be Jews/foreigners but I haven't been able to check them all).

Apart from MJK from what I've read of most of the suspects so far I can't see much compelling evidence for any of them being JTR, and I see some reasons why a number of them are unlikely. Possibly JTR is some unknown common person who is probably now almost impossible to find and prove.
                  There's a high possibility the killer never even referred to himself as Jack the written and the Saucy Jack and Dear Boss letters where very likely to be the work of Tom Bulling, Fred Best or John Moore all of whom are journalists. There are various plausible theories which also cast doubt on the From Hell letter as well.

Due to this I wouldn't base too much evidence surrounding a suspect being based on the letter as alongside the main three there were hundreds more which were probably all hoaxes.

As for Mary Jane Kelly being JtR, I think it's more likely that the moon's made of cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Astatine211 View Post
                    There's a high possibility the killer never even referred to himself as Jack the written and the Saucy Jack and Dear Boss letters where very likely to be the work of Tom Bulling, Fred Best or John Moore all of whom are journalists. There are various plausible theories which also cast doubt on the From Hell letter as well.

Due to this I wouldn't base too much evidence surrounding a suspect being based on the letter as alongside the main three there were hundreds more which were probably all hoaxes.
                    himself or herself.

I agree that we can't base too much on the name Jack for those reasons. Though at the same time it is impossible to prove that the letter that first mentioned the name Jack and the other 5 main uncertain letters that mention the name were or weren't written by the murderer or hoaxer/journalist. From what I've read opinions are divided on each and all of the 7 main letters (6 of which mention name Jack) are a hoax or genuine. Though it is true that opinion/evidence seems to lean more in favour of hoax. I myself can't tell whether they are genuine or hoax, and even my reasons for them being maybe genuine I can't easily get into words. So it is only "high possibility" & "very likely" & "plausible" & "doubt". Even if a hoaxer/journalist wrote all 6 letters we can't prove why they chose the name Jack. And even if the murderer wrote the letter we can't prove why they chose Jack. I'm still seeking and learning anyway, & thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X