Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
    Steven Russell:

"So successfully in fact that he appeared at the inquest and fully described his role in finding the body."

Stephen, the wording in the post you answered said that " Cross seems to have successfully obscured his role in finding' Polly's body all on his own", and of course - just like you point out - we know that Lechmere testified at the inquest to having been alone as he spotted his "tarpaulin" and took a few steps towards it, seeing that was a woman. So as far as these few seconds are concerned, yes Lechmere DID say that he was first.

But if he was the killer, and if he had spent five or ten minutes on the spot, killing Nichols and cutting her up, then we need to realize that there was no way that he could ever get away with stating that he and Paul have arrived simultaneously. If he was the killer, the best he could do, was to create the impression that the two men arrived ALMOST simultaneously, so simultaneously, in fact, that any suspicion that he had had a lengthy time period alone with Nichols was erased. He needed to minimize the perceived time gap, quite simply. And to do that, he would have to step back from Nichols´body, and silently walk three steps out into the middle of Buck´s Row in the darkness, before Paul saw him. The street rested in more or less complete darkness, remember, the only lamp lit being positioned up at the intersection with Brady Street, meaning that Lechmere could probably both hear and see Paul as he entered the street, giving himself ample time to abort the strike and get in position in the middle of the street, whereas Paul walked into dense darkness. He seems not to have noticed Lechmere until he was a few yards away from him.

And so Lechmere creates the impression that he has only just stoppedhimself on seeing the woman on the pavement, and that he has not yet approached her, meaning that he has stood there for the fewest of seconds when Paul arrived.

Now, the distance from the corner or Brady Street down to where Polly lay, was more than a hundred yards. The street was totally empty, but for Lechmere and Nichols, as Paul turned into it. It was lined on both sides by houses, accoustically turning it into a tunnel. Anybody standing up at Brady street, would easily have heard if somebody entered the narrow section of the street, down at the Board school, the shoes cloppering against the stone paving.
    But Paul does not say that he heard a man walking in front of him, does he? So perhaps Lechmere was standing in the middle of the street for all that time it took Paul to walk the 110-120 years from Brady Street to Browns Stable Yard - half a minute or so?

Do people who find women lying on pavements really do this - stop for half a minute in the middle of the street, looking at the body, waiting, doing nothing?

Lechmere himself says he only heard Paul when he was forty yards off. Why was that? In a silent street? Why did he not hear the hurrying Paul, late for work, doing absolutely nothing to walk silently, instead pacing along as best as he could, already as he entered the street? Neil heard Thain pass the intersection as he stood by Nichols´body, 110-120 yards away, remember!

Strange, is it not? Not really, though, not if Lechmere noticed Paul immediately, aborting his strike and silently stepping into the middle of the street, and if there was nothing to hear for Paul. Then this anomaly is easily explained.

But the police did not catch up on this. They bought the version Lechmere served them, and they bought all of it. In a report, dated 19:th of October 1888, some seven weeks after the murder, Swanson writes ”The body of a woman was found lying on the footway in Buck' s Row, Whitechapel, by Charles Cross & Robert Paul carmen, on their way to work.”

And THAT, Steven, is how Lechmere "succesfully obsured his role"! To the police, the discovery of Nichols was a joint effort. The time gap inbetween Lechmere´s find and Pauls arrival was judged totally insignificant. And who provided the substantiation for this? Yes - Charles Allen Lechmere.

All the best,
    Fisherman
    Judging from your last paragraph (and thanks for spelling my name right there), you believe you have heroically vanquished my objections to Cross's candidacy. Can you not see that your case is gossamer thin? Better than Lewis Carroll, though. I'll give you that.

Best wishes,
    Steve.

Comment

• Okay... there was no lamp opposite in 1888. I suggested that only to see if you knew the layout of Bucks Row in 1888. ;-)

Re: acoustics. If Cross didn`t notice/hear Paul until he was forty yards or so from him then that must have been the acoustic distance for footsteps that night.

You have to remember that Cross wasn`t a keen eyed Swede like yourself, but a dopey Englishman like me, who would have stood for a while scratching his nuts and squinting at the shape on the pavement on other side of the road before deciding that he could be arsed to investigate. He does state that he was unsure what it was, and Paul testified that he saw Cross standing in the middle of the road.

Comment

• Steven Russell:

"you believe you have heroically vanquished my objections to Cross's candidacy."

No.

"Can you not see that your case is gossamer thin?"

No.

The best,
        Fisherman
        Last edited by Fisherman; 04-29-2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• Jon Guy:

"Okay... there was no lamp opposite in 1888. I suggested that only to see if you knew the layout of Bucks Row in 1888. ;-)"

Nice try, Jon! And the layout DID allow for three lamps, I believe - but there was only the one lamp working on the night.

"Re: acoustics. If Cross didn`t notice/hear Paul until he was forty yards or so from him then that must have been the acoustic distance for footsteps that night."

Nope - Neil HEARD Thain passing up at Brady Street as he was examining Nichols, meaning that the accoustic distance for footsteps was AT LEAST 110 yards. Context is everything, Jon!

"You have to remember that Cross wasn`t a keen eyed Swede like yourself, but a dopey Englishman like me, who would have stood for a while scratching his nuts and squinting at the shape on the pavement on other side of the road before deciding that he could be arsed to investigate."

Wrong again, I think, Jon - but this time you have to rely on me. My assessment is that Lechmere was anything but dopey. Quite the contrary, in fact. By the appearance of things, he was lightning quick in his thought processes, and usefully intelligent.
          Now, I do wish I could substantiate this in this post of mine, but it is going to have to wait some time. But I will go public with it all before not too long, if everything works out the way I hope.

"He does state that he was unsure what it was, and Paul testified that he saw Cross standing in the middle of the road."

He does. Well, when Paul arrived, the uncertainty was gone, for at that stage he knew it was a woman. The picture he gives is that he walked on the north side of the street, discerned a bundle on the south side, and, thinking it was a tarpaulin, he stepped closer, only to make out that it was a woman.

Don´t believe him, Jon ...

The best,
          Fisherman

Comment

• "Re: acoustics. If Cross didn`t notice/hear Paul until he was forty yards or so from him then that must have been the acoustic distance for footsteps that night."

Nope - Neil HEARD Thain passing up at Brady Street as he was examining Nichols, meaning that the accoustic distance for footsteps was AT LEAST 110 yards. Context is everything, Jon!

Context is, indeed, everything. The murder was committed almost directly above a railway line, so the "acoustic distance" would be greatly influenced by the presence, or absence, of a passing train.

Regards, Bridewell.
            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• So a train passed as Cross was walking down Bucks Row drowning out Paul's boots scraping on the cobbles? Was that the 2.45 to Liverpool Street? The one that wasn't scheduled to run?

Comment

• Hi Bridewell!

One has to keep track of the timetables when it comes to trains! There was a train passing by at 3.30, witnessed about by Harriet Lilley. But as Lechmere (well ...) and Paul came down the street, it was totally silent, and Lechmere stated that he "did not hear any sounds of a vehicle, and believed that had any one left the body after he got into Buck's-row he must have heard him." Neil said that "He had not heard any disturbance that night."

So no train, no.

The best,
                Fisherman
                Last edited by Fisherman; 04-29-2012, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• Hi Fisherman
                  Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                  When Neil heard PC Thain, at that point wouldn`t Thain have been crossing the end of Bucks Row on the cobblestones in the road as he crossed from one pavement to the other?

Comment

• Jon Guy:

"When Neil heard PC Thain, at that point wouldn`t Thain have been crossing the end of Bucks Row on the cobblestones in the road as he crossed from one pavement to the other?"

It was night, so he would be walking close to the facades, checking doors and such. That would have meant that if he was walking on the western side of Brady Street, he needed to leave the pavement of Brady street, cross over the intersection (not entering Buck´s Row, though) and proceed by stepping onto the next pavement on Brady street. If, on the other hand, he was following the eastern side of Brady Street, then there would be no intersection at all, since Buck´s Row ended in Brady Street.

But I fail to see what difference it would make? Thain was more than a hundred yards away, and STILL Neil heard him. Therefore, Lechmere´s not hearing Paul until he was quite close, a mere forty yards away, and Pauls not hearing Lechmere walking in front of him, are two strange things. And I think we can conclude that Paul was walking on the street cobblestones, since he managed to find space to make a wide berth around Lechmere, standing smack in the middle of the street in order to halt Paul.
                    Thus, arguably, something is very wrong here. Too.

The best,
                    Fisherman

Comment

• Hi Fisherman

Paul was definitely on the pavement as he was making his way along Bucks Row, as he testified that he stepped into the road to pass Cross.

This was also my point, albeit made badly, that gangs would hide in the doorways to accost people passing on the pavement. This happened to Tom Sadler as he walked down Thrawl St. Even if Cross had not blocked Paul`s way along the pavement it would have been wise to step into the roadway.

My point about Thain been that the measured tramp of the policeman on cobblestones could have been what attracted Neil`s attention, especially at time when Neil would have been alert and looking for assistance.

Comment

• Jon:

"Paul was definitely on the pavement as he was making his way along Bucks Row, as he testified that he stepped into the road to pass Cross. "

That´s correct, Jon - I just doublechecked. However, if he had been afraid of gangs hiding in the doorways, why walk on the pavement? Because, I´d say, he knew that the Buck´s Row doorways were too shallow to hide in.

About the cobblestone street, I´d submit that stone is stone, and Pauls steps would arguably not have been silenced by walking on the pavement, would they?

The best,
                        Fisherman

Comment

• No, but they would have made much less noise had the soles been badly worn. It is also possible that there was a wind blowing down Buck's Row from Brady Street. Had this been the case the sound of Thain's footsteps would have been blown towards the crime scene, while Paul's would have been carried away from it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                            You were merely making a hypothetical comparison, including me and daftness. It is much the same like saying "If Caz had a chance, she would presumably rule that everybody who did not buy into Maybrick should be shot."
                            Such a thing would not say anything derogatory about YOU, it would only make for a nice hypothetical reasoning. Have I understood you right?
                            No, you certainly have not, Fish. Firstly, my comment about how daft ripperology is becoming can hardly compare with calling for people to be shot if they don't 'buy into Maybrick'.

Secondly, I do not 'buy into Maybrick' myself, so I'd be more than daft to bring in a rule by which I would be shot along with all but the one or two people who do.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Goods Trains

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                              Hi Bridewell!

One has to keep track of the timetables when it comes to trains! There was a train passing by at 3.30, witnessed about by Harriet Lilley. But as Lechmere (well ...) and Paul came down the street, it was totally silent, and Lechmere stated that he "did not hear any sounds of a vehicle, and believed that had any one left the body after he got into Buck's-row he must have heard him." Neil said that "He had not heard any disturbance that night."

So no train, no.

The best,
                              Fisherman
                              When Lechmere talks about not hearing the sounds of any vehicle, isn't he talking about carts & carriages which might have housed a fleeing killer? I'm not disputing the point made about the absence of trains, but that's what I'd always thought. When Pc Neil talks of not hearing "any disturbance that night", surely he refers to the sounds of an altercation / fight, rather than noise in general? I was wondering too, timetable-wise, about goods trains which, as there is no need for them to do so, presumably don't run to a publicly-advertised timetable.

I accept, though, that, at the material time, trains don't seem to have been an issue.

Regards, Bridewell.
                              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Garry if there was a westward wind blowing the sound of Thanes boots over150 yards into Neil's ear'ole, then that same breeze would have carried Paul's footfall into Cross's flappers before he was a mere 40 yards away... surely?

Comment

Working...
                                X