Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was the Artist Henri de Toulouse Lautrec Implicated in the Killings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by galexander View Post
    Okay then would you at least admit that having the entrails draped over the shoulder WAS an extremely peculiar injury to inflict, especially in the open street before potential onlookers?

And could this peculiar injury be described as ritualistic?

I think so.

This happened to at least two of the victims.

Two from whom abdominal organs were taken. In order to access said organs it would be necessary to lift the entrails out of the way. Ritual or pragmatism?
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
      Cog - it really could be Homer Simpson having a root canal.

But more likely, it's definitive proof of somebody's guilt in the Jack the Ripper murder case. As usual.
      Putting sarcasm to one side, what is a fun-loving Impressionist artist doing painting half-naked women in brothels one minute then a pioneering operation the next?

You have failed to explain the connection and the apparent absurdity of the situation.

Comment

So which is the extraordinary activity? Getting one's teeth sorted out, or going to a brothel? He's simply plucking episodes from everyday life!

Comment

Bridewell - I agree completely. He chucked them out of the way - kneeling to one side he's either going to place them near the shoulder or the feet. What else would he do? Cut them out, carry them to a discreet location and bury them before getting back to the victim? Hang them from the lamp-posts?

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            Hello (again) Gale.

"Okay then would you at least admit that having the entrails draped over the shoulder WAS an extremely peculiar injury to inflict, especially in the open street before potential onlookers?"

You refer to #29 Hanbury and Mitre sq? Not sure those killings were in the open street.

Cheers.
            LC
            You know very well what I was driving at. JR was at risk of being caught by residents at Hanbury Street as well.

And how probable was it that JR got away with what he did to Eddowes in Mitre Square? Virtually under the nose of a night watchman in a nearby warehouse who never heard a thing; and in a square patrolled every 15-20 minutes by a policeman on foot.

Further Eddowes had only just been released from police custody some half an hour earlier where she had given the name.........yep you guessed it...........Mary Kelly!

Nothing suspicious about any of this at all however..........

Comment

Manet

Hello Gale.

"what is a fun-loving Impressionist artist doing painting half-naked women in brothels one minute then a pioneering operation the next?"

Those are penetrating questions. (Sorry.) But, conversely, why did Manet paint a prostitute and a picnic in the park?

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

Plucked

Hang them from the lamp-posts?
                Now I seem to recall something like that actually happened in Brighton ... was that the Lovers Walk murder? Can't recall...not ritualistic though...just a bloody mess...

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                  So which is the extraordinary activity? Getting one's teeth sorted out, or going to a brothel? He's simply plucking episodes from everyday life!
                  You are simply dodging the issue!

Not every activity from everyday life is appropriate subject matter for Impressionist art.

Comment

Hi Gale,

If any of the murders had been the dastardly work of a secret cabal of Freemasons, why would the perpetrators have given the game away by employing ritualistic symbolism?

Regards,

Simon
                    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

loud

Hello Gale. OK, I see your idea here.

I think the murder in Hanbury was committed by a lunatic unaware of his surroundings. Note that the Long sighting involved a man close to the shutters talking loudly. Does a stealthy murderer engage in such behaviour?

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

If he's talking to himself, he probably IS the dentist

Comment

Is It Me?

Originally posted by galexander View Post
                          You are simply dodging the issue!

Not every activity from everyday life is appropriate subject matter for Impressionist art!
                          Dodging the issue? This is a Jack the Ripper forum and you're talking about what is, or is not, an appropriate subject for an impressionist painting!

Comment

Considering that Catherine was co habiting with a man named John Kelly, it is hardly surprising she used the name Kelly. She kept her real name from the police, many East Enders did not like rozzers interfering in their business. Mary Ann instead of Catherine was a very common name combo, more than Mary Jane.
                            The conspiracy theorists still have to explain how Jack knew she gave the police that name, did he go into the police station and ask? Then go and find her, no it is a coincidence. Life is full of them and like pictures in random marks you will always find them if you look for them.
                            Jack killed a random drunkish woman who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I dont suppose he asked her name first.
                            There were fewer christian names and fewer surnames in the 19th century and in areas such as the East End end with a high concentration of Irish, Mary and Kelly crop up all the time.

Miss Marple

Comment

Dodging the issue? This is a Jack the Ripper forum and you're talking about what is, or is not, an appropriate subject for an impressionist painting!
                              Beautiful

Comment

From Memory

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                                Considering that Catherine was co habiting with a man named John Kelly, it is hardly surprising she used the name Kelly. She kept her real name from the police, many East Enders did not like rozzers interfering in their business. Mary Ann instead of Catherine was a very common name combo, more than Mary Jane.
                                The conspiracy theorists still have to explain how Jack knew she gave the police that name, did he go into the police station and ask? Then go and find her, no it is a coincidence. Life is full of them and like pictures in random marks you will always find them if you look for them.
                                Jack killed a random drunkish woman who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I dont suppose he asked her name first.
                                There were fewer christian names and fewer surnames in the 19th century and in areas such as the East End end with a high concentration of Irish, Mary and Kelly crop up all the time.

Miss Marple
                                My memory may be playing me false on this, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that John Kelly's wife's name was Mary Ann? If so, it's probably simply mischief-making on the part of Kate Eddowes.

Best Wishes, Bridewell

Comment

Working...
                                X