No announcement yet.

Mr McCarthy and some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which begs the perennial old question, "So if they're that anxious why wasn't MJK?"

Comment

Some prefer to argue that Kelly did not return to the streets after Blotchy. If this were true it suggests complacency compared with other tenents who possibly were anxious about making rent payments.
      Given her arrears, returning to the streets is quite consistent with her situation.

Regards, Jon S.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Lynn, I always thought the sleeping in a chair business was because the woman in question was staying over at a friends house which was a 'one up one down' occupied by two different families and probably they were bit short on guest beds? That's if I'm thinking of the same woman you are.

Comment

Yes that was Sarah Lewis, who presumably slept in the chair because there was no bed for her since she didn't live there.

Prater barricaded her door, which makes me wonder whether the outer door to the staircase was locked or not. Perhaps she could lock the outer door but barricaded the room door just to be safe. Or perhaps there was nothing to stop anyone coming in off the street.

At any rate, her room also seems to have had lock problems, unless she was being ultra safe by locking her room door and then barricading it.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
            Yes that was Sarah Lewis, who presumably slept in the chair because there was no bed for her since she didn't live there.

Prater barricaded her door, which makes me wonder whether the outer door to the staircase was locked or not. Perhaps she could lock the outer door but barricaded the room door just to be safe. Or perhaps there was nothing to stop anyone coming in off the street.

At any rate, her room also seems to have had lock problems, unless she was being ultra safe by locking her room door and then barricading it.
            Thanks Robert.
            Speaking of Prater barricading her door. At 1.00am to 1.30 Prater was waiting for a man at the entrance to the court wasn't she? He didn't turn up and so she says (in one report I read) that she then went into McCarthy's shop and asked someone there to pass on a message that she'd gone to her room, should he turn up later. Was she expecting him to come to her room if he got that message I wonder, meaning it may have been kept unlocked, or was she meaning he was too late and should go back where he came from, he wasn't getting in now!?

Comment

Hi Debs

That's interesting! I didn't know of that report. I'm now wondering if the women who worked indoors at the Court (and charged the clients extra) used McCarthy's shop as a first port of call for the clients. They'd say to the client something like "if you ever want to see me, just call in at the shop and they'll tell you my room number." The plus side for McCarthy would be he'd know to collect his cut the next time he saw the woman. The plus side for the woman would be that the man had to go in the shop, would know he'd been seen and might be less likely to ill-use the woman. Maybe not, though, since Kelly was twice observed taking a man back to her room without entering the shop.

Comment

Hi Robert,
                Here's what Elizabeth Prater said, according to the Standard;

Elizabeth Prater wife of William Prater, who deserted her five years ago,said-I live at No.20,in Miller's-court. On Thursday I went out of the court about five o'clock,and I returned close upon one o'clock Friday morning. I stood at the corner of the court waiting for a young man. No one came up to me. I never saw my young man. I went into McCarthy's shop.
                The Coroner-Was it open at 1.0am?
                Witness-Yes, sir: and sometimes later. I told him to say to my young man that I had gone to my room.
                The Standard (London, England), Tuesday, November 13, 1888

From the way she says 'I told him' after explaining she'd been into Mccarthy's shop,makes it sound as though she spoke directly with McCarthy.
                He might not have had clients pass directly to the Miller's Court girls via his shop but it looks like he acted as middle man sometimes for messages etc. and was aware of exactly what went on in the Court.

Comment

sensible

Hello Debs.

"always thought the sleeping in a chair business was because the woman in question was staying over at a friends house which was a 'one up one down' occupied by two different families and probably they were bit short on guest beds?"

That makes sense.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

On the barricades.

Hello Robert. Did she always barricade the door or just that one time?

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Thanks Debs. I can't remember precisely, but I think Prater was middle-aged. What was she doing with a young man?

It looks like McCarthy knew what was going on.

I wonder if the young man turned up without visiting the shop, and took the wrong door.....

Comment

Hi Lynn

I don't know. It would be a bit of a coincidence if she did it only on the very night when it would have been wisest to do it.

Comment

Et expecto . . .

Hello Robert. I know what you mean. One almost gets the feeling (with the barricades, insomnia, etc.) that the ladies were expecting something.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            Thanks Debs. I can't remember precisely, but I think Prater was middle-aged. What was she doing with a young man?

It looks like McCarthy knew what was going on.

I wonder if the young man turned up without visiting the shop, and took the wrong door.....
                            I think she may have been. Didn't she get back with her husband by 1891?...if she ever left him that is.

That's exactly the thought I had Robert, when I read your recent post about McCarthy closing his 'shed' down and you suggesting JTR was looking for that shed when he entered MJK's room.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                              Hello Robert. I know what you mean. One almost gets the feeling (with the barricades, insomnia, etc.) that the ladies were expecting something.

Cheers.
                              LC
                              I'd be surprised if anyone ever slept well in Miller's Court with all the comings and goings and singing at all hours!

Comment

Hi Debs

Yes, he could have been Prater's client or he could have been someone trying to get out of the rain.

I know east enders were a tough lot, but on the other hand I don't believe they'd have got themselves unnecessarily cold and wet. Anything that threatened to have repercussions and make them get ill would have been shunned, because being laid up was no good to them if it meant they didn't eat (mind you THC didn't have problems like that, but there you go).

Comment

Working...
                                X