• Show
Clear All

• Echo

Hello Stephen. If I recall properly it was in "The Echo."

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

• Idle thought...

Wonder what Maria Harvey was wearing that night and the following morning?

Dave

Comment

• I don't know at what time it started to rain, but could this have affected choice of clothes? Kelly would have had to decide which clothes to keep dry and which to get wet, and might have changed her clothes for that reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
          If Dew is to be believed then Kelly was a well known Spitalfields character and it seems a bit strange to me that nobody seems to know where the hell she was on the evening before she died.
          We do have hints from the press. McCarthy told that Kelly had been seen out drinking between 10:00 - 11:30 pm, I think by some of his renters, on Thursday, or thereabouts.

Mrs Kennedy (Lewis?) said she saw Kelly outside the Britannia between 2:00 - 3:00 am Friday morning. As none of these sightings are to be found in police reports then we are left with more questions.
          These sightings cannot be dismissed, they can be questioned, but not dismissed.

Regards, Jon S.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• gone to pot

Hello Stephen, All. Here is the story. It is from "The Echo" for November 13, 1888. At this writing, nothing was found.

I would have posted the entire page but it is too large. If you would like to see it, just PM me with your email.

Cheers.
            LC
            Attached Files

Comment

• Actually Robert that is a very good point. We tend to forget how everyday occurences such as rain played such a huge part in the everyday life of the impoverished...she'd want to keep her "best" dry because otherwise it wouldn't be "best" for long and she mightn't ever be able to replace it...

Dave

Comment

• Here is the story. It is from "The Echo" for November 13, 1888

Sorry Lynn...where?

Dave

Comment

• Ah ok...the pics have appeared now!

Comment

• old

Hello Dave. It's like me--old and slow.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                      Hello Stephen, All. Here is the story. It is from "The Echo" for November 13, 1888. At this writing, nothing was found.

I would have posted the entire page but it is too large. If you would like to see it, just PM me with your email.

Cheers.
                      LC
                      Actually, for me, this is the most interesting observation..

"As far as enquiries have gone, no man answering the description given by Cox entered any Tavern in the immediate neighbourhood, and took away beer."

I have always questioned that Cox got her times wrong, not that she lied. But her evidence only has value if she knew what time it truely was, and most people did not. So why should she?

What the above quote suggests to me, is not that Cox must have been lying, but more likely that the regulars, Tavern keepers & Landlords simply did not want to get involved.
                      Which is consistent with the apparent silence on what the locals knew and why they kept quiet, leaving some to speculate today that she was not seen therefore she never went out again. False methodology.

Regards, Jon S.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• serious

Hello Jon. I know what you mean. Apparently, however, SY took her story seriously--at least for a while.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                          Hello Jon. I know what you mean. Apparently, however, SY took her story seriously--at least for a while.

Cheers.
                          LC
                          Quite true Lynn, nothing wrong with that. In fact it might be well to keep in mind that the earliest Whitechapel assault, that of Ada Wilson involved a man with a "sunburnt face" (red face?).

Its the beer mug that suggest to me no intent. This is the "square-peg-in-the-round-hole" assuming this guy was the Whitechapel murderer.
                          Now, ...if he'd carried a black bag?

Regards, Jon S.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• killer

Hello Jon. I can't say I EVER suspected poor old Blotchy of being the killer. But I tend to believe he actually did exist.

Of course, I don't see him as a client either. Why pay good money to be regaled by Irish folk music? (Of course, one might spend a few bob on Scots.)

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

• a few pence maybe...

Comment

• sing it

Hello Dave. Well, it depends upon the ditty. I cannot find a decent version of "On the Banks of Allan Water."

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X