X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (yet another) New suspect

This just appeared in the Western Daily Press,
    has it been discussed here yet?

Amateur sleuths may get the chance to see inside the mind of Jack the Ripper when a mysterious manuscript is published as a book next month.
    The typed draft, dating from the 1920s, came to light among radio memorabilia bought by the Montacute Toy Museum in Somerset two years ago.

1. Alan Hicken, who found the Ripper manuscript in a box of memorabilia

Now the museum’s owner, Alan Hicken, and Ripper expert Paul Begg are giving the world the chance to scrutinise the document and identify Victorian London’s most notorious serial killer.
    And Jack has even become an unwitting promoter of Somerset tourism, with Visit Somerset tweeting news of the book via its website www.visitsomerset.co.uk.
    Mr Hicken discovered the manuscript when be bought memorabilia connected with Sydney Hulme-Beaman, creator of radio’s Toytown, which had been inherited by Mr Beaman’s niece.
    The manuscript, written by James Willougby Carnac, was left to Mr Hulme-Beaman as executor of Carnac’s will. It claims to be Carnac’s autobiography and introduces a new suspect for the infamous Whitechapel murders in 1888.
    It includes information that does not appear to be derived from contemporary newspapers or any other publications and the descriptions of Tottenham in the 1870s, the visits to performances of Jekyll and Hyde and the geography of Whitechapel in 1888 are written with pin-point accuracy.
    There is also a credible motive given for Carnac becoming the murderer and a reason for the end of the murders. Given the fact that the author also appears to have knowledge about aspects of the case not in the public arena at the time it is possible that the document is the autobiography of Jack the Ripper.
    Ultimately, it is up to the reader to decide if they believe the mystery has been solved. Even as a work of fiction the book would still be one of the very earliest imaginings of the Ripper case, written in the early years of the 20th century, and a fascinating piece of period writing.
    When he found the manuscript, Mr Hicken said: “It made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. It made for a very chilling read and was very macabre in places. I’d never heard of James Carnac but everyone knows of Jack the Ripper.”
    Mr Begg said: “Although this is almost beyond question a work of fiction, as a product of the late 1920s it is a very early piece of ‘Ripperature’.
    John Turner vice-chairman of Visit Somerset added: “although macabre, this is just the sort of discovery with which we can promote Somerset and create extra interest in the county.”
    dustymiller
    aka drstrange

Thanks for posting this, Dusty.

I think I'll take Paul Begg's word on this one. Can't blame the folks at Somerset for wanting to cash in on this though.

Maybe Paul will get a chance to come on here and give us some details.
    Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Mr Begg said: “Although this is almost beyond question a work of fiction

only 'almost' ?
      http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

It IS a work of fiction, written by Bearman in the 1920's and claiming that Jack the Ripper was a one-legged man named Carnac.

My question is, what is Lon Chaney doing peering over the man's shoulder?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I thought it was Willy Wonka
          I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
          Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

>>..Jack the Ripper was a one-legged man named Carnac.<<

Is that an anagram of Long John Silver?

"The pirates are the men that will not be blamed for nothing."
            dustymiller
            aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
              >>..Jack the Ripper was a one-legged man named Carnac.<<

Is that an anagram of Long John Silver?

"The pirates are the men that will not be blamed for nothing."
              and he was seen by a witness legging it down the road

Comment

A uniped ! No wonder he could hop so silently from the crime scenes...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
                  A uniped ! No wonder he could hop so silently from the crime scenes...
                  All he ever wanted with these protitutes was a `leg over`

On his way home he stopped off in a karaoke bar and was heard singing "Wide eyed and legless"

Comment

Hi,
                    I have often speculated that the killer may have had some leg deformity , and a one legged man fits the bill.
                    BS seen to have been walking as if partly ''intoxicated'' for instance , and a possibility that Polly Nichols may have initially pulled away from her assailant, and was not caught up with until the place she fell.. fascinating but not another diary?
                    Regards Richard.

Comment

Hi Hunter,
                      I can't say too much about the ms, but for me what really matters is that it seems to be the work of S.G. Hulme Beaman, whose importance isn't going to be appreciated by Brits under a certain age or probably by American's at all, but his creation of Toytown and Larry the Lamb was hugely important to those who grew up in the 40s and 50s (and before). Indeed, Beaman was Martin Fido's favourite writer when Martin was 6 and Alan Bennett recalls the Toytown radio broadcasts as a light of normality during the darkness of the war and post-war years. So, if this is a novel by Beaman then it is an important and extraordinary and unique diversion from his literary output. However, it is such an extraordinary diversion that it raises the question of whether or not he did write it, and, if he didn't, who did. But look beyond the inevitable hype, and judge the ms responsibly as a novel by an important children's writer, as an early example of Ripper fiction, and as a singular crime novel from the Golden Age, and you should find it an interesting and rewarding read. That it could be anything else is up to you to decide.

Comment

Alan

I hope for Alan's sake that it is a great success, he's a dear old boy (albeit he's a lot younger than me).
                        SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Larry the lamb and Dennis the dachshund are my first media memories!
                          Little did the little me know I'd grow up to find I was being entertained by a ripperologist. Must be his fault I turned out this way.
                          dustymiller
                          aka drstrange

Comment

The answer at last ?

Comment

[QUOTE][QUOTE=Robert;200969]The answer at last ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0igRKYQUfpg[/QUOTE[/

Yes, Robert...even as you posted that I was busy googling 'Derek and Clive'
                              together with 'Muffin the Mule'...sadly I couldn't find a link.

It must be a dim childhood memory.
                              Last edited by Rubyretro; 12-13-2011, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X