Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the stair

Hello all,

Back to my "posh" fixation again, I`m afraid..

Why would the witness (think it was John Richardson - too lazy to look it up) at Hanbury street call the intruder he found on the stairs "Guvīnor"? Not the way he would speak to someone down and out, or even someone of his own "class".

Just asking,
    C4

"Yesterday upon the stair, I saw a man who wasnīt there, I saw him there again today, I wish that man would go away!"

Why would the witness (think it was John Richardson - too lazy to look it up) at Hanbury street call the intruder he found on the stairs "Guvīnor"? Not the way he would speak to someone down and out, or even someone of his own "class".
    Just asking,

Can you please post the quote with it's context ? I don't remember it.
    http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Stair

Hello Ruby,

As I remember the quote was "You have no right to be here, guvīnor" and the context was in response to a question about whether strangers entered the house in Hanbury street.

I will try to find where I read it - could be one of my books or newspaper report.

Will get back to you!
      Best wishes,
      C4

Comment

Upon the stair

Hello again Ruby,

The quote is from Philip Sugdenīs "The Complete History of Jack the Ripper", paperback, page 83.

It says: "One morning Thompson challenged a man on the stairs of No. 29. "Iīm waiting for the market" said the man. "Youīve no right here, guvīnor", replied Thompson."

It was Thompson, not Richardson, and the incident is referred to in several other books, but the exact conversation is only in this one as far as I could see. John Richardson is referred to as often turning out prostitutes and other strangers at all hours of the night, hence my confusion!

Best wishes,
        C4

Comment

Working...
        X