Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How inflenced are we by suspect related books, tv programmes and films?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How inflenced are we by suspect related books, tv programmes and films?

Hello all,

We often read of enthusiasts who prefer certain suspects to others, some based on books they have read, or tv presentations, even films.

Since it has been a fairly long time since the last big screen presentation of a JTR suspect, and with the emergence of two new recent tv documentaries, new books and more books to follow shortly, I wondered if the influence of these presentations still have the same amount of bearing on the enthusiast that it once had for those of an older generation of enthusiasts, given that pre 1973 or thereabouts the community was much smaller and the titles were less frequent in all forms?

Therefore a poll. Has the emergence of any recent book, documentary or film from say the last 10 years influenced your thinking or even choice of suspect?

I thank you in advance for your time and participation

best wishes

Phil
    Yes, I have been influenced by a suspect based presentation
    41.18%
    No influence towards any suspect due to recent presentations
    41.18%
    I remain open towards possibilities for and against
    17.65%
    Another answer (please state)
    0.00%
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Hi Phil - greaty idea for a thread!

I think that there have been some excellent suspect-based books in recent years - Tully's work on Kelly among them - but I also think there have been a few very weak offerings and I have to mention Cornwell on Sickert as one of those.

Personally - I prefer books that set out the background and explore a range of plausible suspects but make no firm conclusion - leaving it up to the reader. The book that got me started - and to which I return frequently - is Rumbelow's.

Comment

I also think that it's a great idea for thread!

The books that first got me interested were Steven Knight's book, and the 'From Hell' graphic novel.

They certainly didnt influence my suspect choice -but I would still recommend them for being a 'good read' and giving plenty of atmosphere and information.

I read the books about my favourite suspect well after he became my favourite suspect (after reading around Casebook), and I think that's a better way to enjoy the books -you already know the 'Big Picture' and are fascinated rather by each tiny detail and bit of research..maybe things which the Author was proud of, but someone new to the subject would just skirt over quickly and not appreciate fully ?
      http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Phil,

How many people have deluded themselves into thinking they were NOT influenced by a suspect book? Another poll perhaps.

Mike
        huh?

Comment

good old days

Hello Phil. Interesting poll. I recall that, back in the 1960's, I had seen the Baker and Berman film and had read an article about Dr. Cream. Those were the days. Dr. Cream's purported last words seemed like a confession and brought closure to the "case." Whilst Sir David being crushed under the lift was one of the (at the time) most gruesome scenes anywhere.

Much has changed since then, and modern suspect driven work fails to convince..

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Hello Mike,

In the recent past, i.e. the last 10 years? That is as you say perhaps for another thread. Why not set one up?

Personally, the first book I read on the subject was in 1972, Dan Farson's "Jack the Ripper" but this was 3 or 4 years after my own interest was first awakened in the subject by a family member, and on trips back to the East End and the family background. The book's suspect (Farson's) has never any suspect influence upon me at all. Since that time I can honestly say that only one or two suspect based books have imho really interested me, though none have been of an influence that have made me a believer in the particular suspect written about.

That is why I have always said that I am open to persuasion but not easily persuaded.

best wishes

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

I´m new at casebook so the first of all I would like to say hello to everyone.
              I think we all could be influenced by films, books, docuementaries, etc.
              But that´s the genius of the author of the work, who maybe is a better comunicator than other author, so the theory reaches you better.
              Also, sometimes you realise when someone wants to have a name among authors and make a theory up which has no sense at all.

We begin by coveting what we see every day

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                Since that time I can honestly say that only one or two suspect based books have imho really interested me, though none have been of an influence that have made me a believer in the particular suspect written about.
                With respect, if they have interested you, then they have made you think differently. That is influence.

Mike
                huh?

Comment

Respect accepted. You can tell the same story in different ways, and that means you can tell a story in a boring and a messy way or in a intresting way. The story is the same, but if it´s well written you are not going to feel bored and will continue reading.
                  I´m not saying that everything that is well told must be believed, but if you continue reading or not, that is an influence already, beacuse you are absorbing information or not.

We begin by coveting what we see every day

Comment

I think (pre- message board membership) I used to be influenced more than I am now. In the beginning, I only had to see a documentary / film or read a book to be convinced that the suspect they were pushing had to be "Jack".
                    http://www.taraforum.com/

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                      With respect, if they have interested you, then they have made you think differently. That is influence.

Mike
                      Hello Mike,

Respect acknowledged, and respectfully, in reply,

The title of this thread is about influence of a suspect based book. I replied..

"....I can honestly say that only one or two suspect based books have imho really interested me, though none have been of an influence that have made me a believer in the particular suspect written about."

my emphasis in bold

The books may have interested me Mike. but the suspect named has not persuaded me at all. That is what the thread is about, being influenced by a suspect based book to the effect of regarding that suspect as one's line of thinking and being sufficiently persuaded by it.. I thought that was quite clear my friend.

best wishes

Phil
                      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

The two books that really fired up my interest in the Ripper were Dan Farson's and Stephen Knight's. Even though the latter work was based upon bullshit, it remains probably the most widely-read Ripper book of all time.

Graham
                        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

My interest in the case began when I read Knight's book aged about thirteen. I was absolutely convinced. Years later I read Martin Fido's book and became utterly convinced by that. These days I am much more sceptical with suspect based stuff, particularly if the blurb claims "Case Closed!" or "The Mystery Solved!" etc. having discovered that non fiction is a rather elastic term where the Ripper is concerned.

Recently you could say I was influenced by the documentary on Jacob Levy as I'd never really thought about him before and he's a much better suspect than some.

Best wishes,
                          Steve.

Comment

Working...
                          X