Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
    Bloody Hell Trade...I'm not sure I'd fancy someone applying deadly nightshade plasters to my afflicted parts!

All the best

Dave
    Yes, the word 'deadly' is a bit of a giveaway isn't it!

Regards, Bridewell.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Miles' Historical Marker

Ah, so that's what "hyoscyamic" means.

Dr. Miles has a historical marker. His company went on to manufacture Alka-Seltzer.
      Last edited by TradeName; 12-21-2012, 04:24 AM.

Comment

• Nutriola in London

Excerpt from Norman Lees' Guenther trial testimony concerning Nurtiola's relocation to London:

Pages 483-487

[October 26, 1914]

Defendant's Witness, Norman A. Lees, Cross

Q. When did the Nutriola Company go into business? A. When did it go into business?

Q. Yes. A. It was in business when I became connected with it in 1904. That is all I know.

Q. Don't you know how long it had been doing business prior to that? A. I have heard that it had been in Chicago for two years before, but to my absolute knowledge I don't know. I believe that is about right, and before that time, some years before it had done some business in Belfast, Maine, and there had been an interval—I am only stating this from hearsay and their documents—

Q. If you do not know, I do not care about it. How long did it continue in business after you became connected with it? A. It was in business in December, 1906, when I went to England. I returned in the fall of 1906, and it was in business then in Chicago, as I was at the office of the company.

Q. Wasn't there a fraud order issued against it by the United States Government? A. I believe so, sir.

Q. You say you believe so. Don't you know so? A. Well, I have seen the letter, statement for the order. I have never seen the order myself. There was a fraud order. There is no doubt about that.

Q. And when was that issued? A. I believe that was sometime in August.

Q. Of what year? A. 1905.

Q. August of what year, Mr. Lees? A. 1905.

Q. And that fraud order prevented misuse of the United States mails, did it not? A. Yes, sir.

Q. Don't you know that preceding the issuance of the fraud order there had been an inquiry conducted by the United States Government? A. Yes, sir.

Q. And how long did that continue, if you know? A. Oh, for some time in March, I think, as far as I know.

Q. And that inquiry was in progress, was it not, during the time that you had these conversations with Mr. Guenther that you claim to have had that you told us about the other day? A. Yes, sir.

Q. Who instituted that fraud order proceeding on the part of the United States Government, if you know? A. Mr. Guenther told me he did.

Q. And what was the subject-matter of the inquiry, if you know? A. I do not know, sir. I didn't take the slightest part in it.

Q. Don't you know that the Government claimed that your concern—which, by the way, was a medical concern, was it not? A. Yes, sir.

Q. Issuing some sort of patent or proprietory [sic] medicines? A. Yes, sir.

Q. And the Government claimed that you were making extravagant claims through the mails as to what would be effected in the way of cures, and so on, by your medicines? A. I have read that in a book the Nutriola Company published, which is supposed to contain the fraud order. That is all I know about it.

Q. The Government, you were told, were you not, had chemists test your medicines and put them through chemical analysis, to determine whether or not they came up to what you said about them? A. I don't know, sir.

Q. What was your connection with the Nutriola Company? Just what did you do? A. Advertising manager only.

Q. Did you have anything to do with the financial end? A. No, sir.

Q. Did you have anything to do with getting out the literature descriptive of the financial part of the business? A. No, sir.

Q. That is, you do know, however, do you not, that the company, in addition to vending its patent medicines also sold its stock or tried to sell it to the public at large? A. Yes, sir.

O. And in connection with the sale of the stock to the public at large, they made certain assertions as to what the profits would be in the business? A. Yes, sir.

Q. Let me see if I cannot refresh your recollection on that. I show you a paper entitled, "A Guide to Full Pockets," and with the doggerel rhyme on it, "Dimes and Dollars; Dollars and Dimes; an Empty Pocket the Worst of Crimes," and ask you if the Nutriola Company did not issue that pamphlet (handing paper to witness)? A. Yes, sir.

Q. Won't you take a look at it, please, and see if it does not refresh your recollection as to some of the assertions that the Nutriola Company made with respect to its business and what profits investors in the business would get? A. I think, Mr. Crowley, there in only one part that refers to that which you are talking about.

Q. And on looking at it, is your recollection refreshed? A. Oh, I knew this was in it.

Q. And won't you tell me what part you now have in mind? A. Well, it says here that if this company should attain the success of another company Mr. Hanson had, the one dollar invested in it would bring in two hundred and twenty.

Q. Two hundred and twenty? A. Yes; referring to another company. You can read the wording there (pointing).

Q. Were there not, in addition to that, some statements issued in substance to the effect that fifteen hundred per cent would be earned to people who invested their money in this concern? A. No, sir; not on any of the advertising I ever put out or saw go out. Q. I am not asking you now about what you personally put out but about what anyone else connected with the company put out? A. Not that I ever saw, sir.

Mr. Sheehan: Now, if your Honor please, I think we have gone far enough into this.

The Court: Yes.

Mr. Sheehan: I object to it on the ground that it is immaterial.

The Court: We are not trying the Nutriola Company.

Mr. Sheehan: Yes; we are not trying the Nutriola Company. I think we have allowed sufficient to show the character of the company.

By the Court:

0. Did it go out of business? A. It went out as far as the American company was incorporated into an English company.

By Mr. Crowley:

Q. You went over to London with the business? A. Yes, sir.

Q. And the "London Truth" or paper in London 1458 called "Truth" drove you out of England, did it not? A. No, sir.

Q. But you did leave England, did you? A. Myself, personally?

Q. No. the business of the company? A. No, sir.

Q. Still conducting business over there? A. It was there—well, the last time that I saw anything about it a year ago, I was over there. Well, no, not a year ago. It would be in January of this year, I was talking to one of the gentlemen who was connected with it. He told me they were doing business there. I have had nothing to do with it since that time.

O. Didn't you encounter some difficulties over there with the authorities? A. No, sir.

Q. None at all? A. No, sir. I was managing director at the time, and I had no trouble whatever at all with any authorities. The London Truth did attack us and one other paper, as the result of a letter sent to them by Mr. Guenther, a copy of which—the original is not in existence, but a copy of it is in one of the books published by the Nutriola Company, but it is not the original letter.

Q. The American company did go out of business at one time, then, did it?

The Court: What is the American company? A. The Nutriola Company.

Mr. Crowley: This company that he was connected with in Chicago, as I understand it; the Nutriola Company, that is the American end of it. I understood the witness to say a moment ago that they incorporated another company in England.

The Witness: The American company.

The Court: The American Nutriola?

The Witness: The American Nutriola Company. There are two companies now, your Honor. The American company was incorporated with the English company, January 1st, 1907. It would then cease to be an American company.

---end

Pharmaceutical Journal, Volume 78, January 19, 1907, Page 71

Nutriola Company, Limited.—Capital £125,000, in 5s. shares. Objects: To acquire the business of the Nutriola Company (incorporated under the laws of the State of Maine, U.S.A.), and its branches in England and elsewhere, to adopt an agreement with the American company to manufacture and sell the preparations, medicines, and appliances now manufactured and sold by the American company, and to carry on the business of chemists, druggists, chemical manufacturers and dealers, drysalters, manufacturers of and dealers in mineral waters, liqueurs, soups, cordials, broths, restoratives, invalid foods, etc.

--end

Some items from the volume for the first half of 1906 of Truth. 1905, the rest of 1906, and 1907 are not available in Google Books.

Truth, Volume 59, January 18, 1906, Page 129

Some of my readers may remember the Nutriola Company of Chicago, and the “Guide t-o Full Pockets” issued in connection with it by the presiding genius of the concern, E. F. Hanson. ex-Mayor of Belfast, Maine, U.S.A. A full account of this swindle was given in TRUTH of August 31. For months past Hanson has flooded the British press with advertisements under the title “Making Money,” bragging of his own achievements in that direction, and offering to inform anybody how to imitate them. The public were to do this by taking shares in his Nutriola Company, which is an ordinary quack cure~all business, and the trap was baited with the most extravagant statements of the profits made by such means. I now learn from Chicago that the United States Postmaster-General has put a stop to Hanson's operations by means of one of those fraud orders which are such an excellent feature in the American postal system, the efiect being that all communications relating to the business found in the mails are branded as “fraudulent” and returned to their author.

===============

In this instance Hanson appealed against the fraud order to the Circuit Court Judge at Chicago, who a few weeks ago gave judgment against him, and made the order permanent.In giving his decision the judge made the following remarks :-—

It appears that this company built up a business with other people's‘a money, its promoter himself being bankrupt. I 1look upon that act with suspicion, as no doubt did the pmtal authorities. If a man has a good business he does not take everybody in the United States into his confidence and make them partners in it. In other words, it has been sought to build up a business out of nothing at the expense of the public.

The fact thus disclosed that Hanson is actually a bankrupt is a pretty satire upon the advertisements that have been appearing in British newspapers. This was the account of his own financial exploits given in the principal advertisement-:-—

Making Money

1 was born on a Maine farm. I have made some great successes in business. My greatest through Co-operation.

I took $1.500 (£306 2s. 6d.) capital, supplied by Farmers, Women, Physicians, Clerks, Clergymen, etc., in Belfast, Maine, and in an honest but-very profitable business earned and paid them through Belfast National Bank $5,000 (£1,020 85. 2d.) in cash dividends in the first six months, $25,000 (£5,102 Os. 10d.) within the next year, and in eighteen months I paid them in round numbers $330,000 (£67,346 19s. 2d.) in cash.

EVERY 4s. EARNED £44 17s. 0d.

This is History. Reads like a fairy tale; but it is TRUE.

It was shown in the recent proceedings in- America that up to that date Hanson had obtained about $500,000 from the American public, and goodness knows how much more he picked up in England.

February 16, 1906, Page 372

In consequence of recent references in TRUTH to the Nutriola Company, of Chicago, I have received one or two communications from people interested in this business, and I have also had, by deputy, an interview with a representative of the firm in this country. I am asked to believe a great many imposing statements about the vastness of the business, and the gratifying results received by people who have invested their cash in it. I am quite ready to take these statements on trust, but they do not in the least afiect my opinion. The two statements made in TRUTH the other day on the authority of a Chicago correspondent are not contradicted; that is to say, a “fraud order ” against the Nutriola. business has been issued by the United States Post Ofiice, and Mr. Hanson, the presiding genius of the concern, was a bankrupt at the time stated by the Chicago Court. I am told that the “fraud order” is the result of the evil machinations of some rival of Hanson. Very possibly, but the fraud order is a fact, and a good enough fact for me. I am told that proceedings are on foot to contest that same order. When they are successful it will be time enough to infer that the fraud order did an injustice to Hanson.

=========

It may be remembered that Hanson’s scheme is to induce large numbers of people to invest small sums in his business--that of selling a quack “cure-all” under a promise of the most extravagant profits that are to be made from it. The effect of this is twofold; it not only provides Hanson with the necessary capital, but it enlists a large army of “co-operators” in all parts of the world as advertising agents and retail vendors of the company's goods. As the thing has been advertised regardless of expense all over the world, it naturally follows that a considerable business is set on foot. I heard only the other day of a soldier in India who had put £1O into the Nutriola Company, and was thinking of putting another ten, so pleased was he with the results. As long as the world is full of such people a bubble such as Hanson's can easily be blown up to a portentous size; but we know the fair of all bubbles and we know that the quicker they grow the sooner they burst. Whether or not the United States “fraud order‘ was justified, it is the duty of everybody to do what he can to save his fellow-creatures from flat-traps of this kind. I have endeavoured to do so to the best of my ability.

Feb 22, 1906, (Supplement), Page 3

"TRUTH" CAUTIONARY LIST

MEDICAL QUACKS

THE NUTRIOLA COMPANY, CHICAGO.—This is the latest manifestation of Yankee quackery. Not content with advertising its ability to cure everything, the company has also advertised purchase of its shares as the shortest way to wealth. Nevertheless, a fraud order has been made against the company by the United States postal authorities, and it is worthy of remark that the president of the company has already been bankrupt in America. Under these circumstances development of the Nutriola business in this country may he expected and a representative of the company is already in London looking about for oflices.

Comment

• Norman Lees Mentioned in Stead Chicago Book

W. T. Stead's book about his stay in Chicago contains an appendix with a list of properties "used for immoral purposes" compiled by Norman Lees.

If Christ Came to Chicago: A Plea for the Union of All who Love in the Service of All Who Suffer (Chicago: Laird & Lee, 1894), Google Books, Archive.org
          by William Thomas Stead

Page 452

STATE OF ILLINOIS,
          Chicago, County Of Cook,} as
          Norman A. Lees, being first duly sworn, deposes and says that the annexed sheets attached to and forming part of this affidavit, have been compiled by him, and that the description of the property duly numbered and tabulated thereon, is to the best of his belief true.

Norman A. Lees.

Subscribed and sworn to before me, a Justice of the Peace, for the Town of South Chicago, County of Cook, State of Illinois, this 3d day of January, A. D. 1894.

D. J. Lyon, Justice of the Peace.

Comment

• Nutriola Ad Pitched at Doctors

McDonough'S Medical Blue Book (Chicago: 1904), Page 80A, Archive.org

Click image for larger version

Name:	jtr-chi-med-blue-book-nutriola.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	664648

Comment

• "DEVOTION" At The People's League

An account of police-court proceedings related to a disturbance during
              a meeting of the People's League.

Reynolds's Newspaper (London, England), Sunday, April 21, 1895

"DEVOTION" AT THE PEOPLE'S LEAGUE

Lambeth Police Court was crowded on Thursday by
              a number of persons interested in some summonses
              arising out of a recent disturbance at a gathering of
              the People's League at Peckham. Many of the spectators
              were ladies. The defendants were Messrs. E.
              Briaris, george Bitten, O. Springthorpe, Henry
              Hyde, H. P. beaumont, G. F. Morgan, Frederick
              Polkinghorne, and George Maxted, and they were
              summoned by Messs. Robert James Lees and John
              Nisbet for having at the Central Hall, High-street,
              Peckham, a building licensed for public worship,
              unlawfully distured a certain meeting and congregation
              of persons there assembled for religious worship.

Mr. Grain and Mr. Ritchie Maconn appeared in
              support of the summonses, and Mr. W. M. Thompson
              represented most of the defendants.

Mr. Grain explained how Mr. Lees formed "The
              People's League," one of the objects of which was to
              undertake the holding of Sunday evening services.

On Sunday night, March 31, said Mr. Nisbet, the
              secretary, four notices were exhibited pointing out that
              the hall was licensed for public worship. Mr. Lees had
              been speaking about a quarter of an hour, and was
              quoting extensively from the minute-book of the
              League, when Mr. Polkinghorne rose to his feet, and
              exclaimed, "I protest against my name being mentioned,
              and shall claim the right to reply upon the
              whole question." This brought about twenty others
              to their feet. They began gesticulating and shouting,
              and Mr. Lees flow of speech was stopped by

"THIS MOB."

Mr. De Rutzen: Were each of these eight gentlemen
              taking part in what you call the disturbance?

Witness: I am not able to swear to all of them.

Mr. De Rutzen: Which of them can you identify?

Witness: Morgan, Bitten, Polkinghorne, and
              Maxted. Continuing, the Witness said he called in
              two police-constables, and shortly afterwards Mr. Lees
              declared the meeting at an end.

Cross-examined by Mr. W. M. Thompsn: He
              believed that hand bills were issued stating that upon
              this occasion Mr. Lees would answer "certain malicious
              and unfounded charges made during his absence."
              The defendants were members of the League at the
              time. but they had not all paid their subscriptions.
              He never heard of any dissatisfaction at the finacial
              management of the League until a meeting was held at
              Winchester Hall. A balance sheet was made out for
              the half-year ending June, 1894. The members of the
              League could have seen it if they had demanded to do
              so. (Laughter.)

Mr. De Rutzen: Was there anything religious about
              the president's address?

Witness: He took a text.

Apart from the text?--Well, you Worship, I don't
              think the president had an opportunity of getting to
              the end of his address.

As far as he went?--No, possibly there was not.
              The notices stating that the place was licensed for
              public worship were prepared

IN ANTICIPATION OF A DISTURBANCE,

Robert James Lees, the president of the League, said
              he was upon this particular occasion justifying his
              conduct upon precisely the same lines that Christ would
              have adopted had He been there. He took a text. The
              League was a philanthropic movemnet started at his
              own expense.

Cross-examined: A clergyman lent him £10,000 to
              found the League. He had to pay interest on the
              money. Twenty years ago he was a compositor. He
              lived now by his work as a magnetic masseur.

Mr. W. M. Thompson: You are a spiritualist in
              addition?

Mr. Lees: Oh, I dare say I am. I am a lot of things.
              The gentleman who had advanced the money had not
              attended his séances. He had no séances. he was
              the autocrat and the democrat of the League.
              (Laughter.) He knew nothing of the handbills that
              were issued until late on the Saturday night, and he
              did not cause advertisements to be issued in the
              newspapers.

By his Worship: He originally intended to reply to
              the statements that had been made against him on the
              Tuesday, but allowed himself to be influenced by
              others,

Mr. De Rutzen said he was sorry Mr. Lees
              allowed his better judgment to be turned away from
              the original intention to deliver his address on the
              Tuesday. Up to a certain point, so far as it was a
              religious meeting, everybody behaved with that decorum
              which every Englishman would adopt at any religious
              service, and it was only when it came to an address by
              Mr. Lees which had very little religion in it (except
              the text) that there was any disturbance. When people
              though proper to mix up purely secular matters with
              a quasi-religious meeting this was the sort of thing
              that was likely to occur. The summonses would be
              dismissed with £5 5s. costs.

The result was received with applause in court.

Comment

• R. J. Lees was listed as a contact for people wanting information about "Our Father's Church," a group founded by John Page Hopps:

The Coming Day, Volumes 3-4, September, 1893, Pages 126-128

Our Father's Church

The undernamed, being members of OUR FATHER'S CHURCH, signify their willingness to give information to inquirers. They may not be able to do more than send, to those who would like them, copies of The Ideal and The Inviting, but, believing that much help and comfort have been given by these, and by the presentation of their simple and practical thoughts of duty and life, they invite communications from any who may wish to know what Our Father's Church means and what it hopes to do.

John Page Hopps (Recorder).

216, South Norwood Hill, London, S.E.

Aberdeen.—Mr. Wm. Bain, Balmoral Lodge.
                Aberdovey (Wales).—Captain Ellis Roberts.
                Aberystwyth.—Mrs. Williams, Bronheulog.
                Altrincham.—Miss I. M. Hervey, Highfield.
                Ambleside.—Dr. A. Johnston, Gale House.
                Birmingham.—Mr. Arthur Cottrell, 36, Pershore Road.
                " Mr. A. Holden, Kingswood, Hockley Heath.
                " Miss M. C. Gittins, 87, Hagley Road.
                Bow.—Mr. E. W. McCullum, Saxon Road, North Bow.
                Bray (Ireland).—Mrs. Jones, 2, Novara Terrace.
                Cambridge.—Mr. Quinsee, 9, Edward Street.
                Cromer.—Miss Clark, Suffield Park.
                Cullompton.—Mr. F. G. Loram, Fore Street.
                Derby.—Rev. John Birks, F.G.S., St. Ann's Terrace.
                Dunoon (Scotland).—Mr. C. T. Clough, Silver Hill.
                Edinburgh.—Mr. J. Torrance, Mount Forest, Shotts, near Edinburgh.
                Glyn Neath (wales).—Mr. Evan R. Roberts.
                Glasgow.—Mr. J. Johnstone, 6, Princess Street, Helensburgh.
                Hurstpierpoint.—Mrs. Martyn, Gothic House.
                Ipswich.—Mr. John Glyde, 22, St. Nicholas Street.
                Kegworth.—Mrs. Seton-Brown, The Wymeshead.
                Leicester.—Miss Beatrice Ellis, The Gynsils.
                " Miss F. E. Fullagar, 14, St. Peter's Road.
                " Miss Edith Gittins, Salisbury Road.
                " Mr. R. E. Smith, 41, Princess Street.
                Lewisham.—Rev. W. Birks, F.R.A.S., 165, Lee High Road.
                Liverpool.—Mr. W. J. Rae, 9, Lansdowne Place, Everton.
                London.—Mrs. Bull, 88, Winston Road, Stoke Newington.
                " Mr. John Glen, 81, Cambridge Road, Hammersmith.
                " Mr. C. Hamilton, 116, Barry Road, East Dulwich.
                " Mr. J. W. Hayes, 25, Tyneham Road, S.W.
                " Mrs. Hind, 25, Dartmouth Park Hill, N.W,
                " Mr. A. Kemsley, 311, Borough.
                " Mr. R. J. Lees, 67, Ondine Road, E. Dulwich.
                " Dr. W. C. M'Donnell, Park House, Park Lane, Stoke Newington.
                " Mr. E. Dawson Rogers, Rose Villa, Church End, Finchley.
                " Mrs. Tagart, 6, Criffel Avenue, Streatham Hill.
                " Rev. J. M. Whiteman, 3o, Grove Hill Road, S.E.
                Macclesfield.—Mr. J. Thompson, Eddisbury Hall.
                Manchester.—Mr. S. Chatwood, F.R.G.S., Broad Oak Park, Worsley.
                Norwich.—Mr. J. T. Thorn, St. George's.
                Nottingham.—Mr. G. D. Hughes, London Road.
                " Miss E. Sunter, 37, Huntingdon Street.
                " Mrs. Simpson, 5, Postern Street.
                Oldham.—Miss E. M. Daltry, Retiro Street.
                Oxford.—Rev. J. Estlin Carpenter, M.A., 1o9, Banbury Road.
                Paisley.—Mr. W. Naismith, Maryville, Crookston.
                Portsmouth.—Mr. J. T. King, 17, Clive Road, Fratton.
                Reading.—Mr. Tracey Sparks, School Road, Tilehurst.
                Reigate.—Mr. and Mrs. Sambrook, Ivy Bank, Oak Hill.
                Richmond (surrey).—Mrs. Swan, 12, Chisholm Road.
                Sandgate.—Miss E. S. Gaine, 6, Victoria Terrace.
                St. Helens.—Mr. J. F. Booth, 3, Windle Street.
                Staines. — Mrs. Claypole, Westbourne House.
                Watford (Herts).—Mr. A. E. Elderkin, 69, Gladstone Road.
                Whitchurch (Salop).—Rev. G. Eyre Evans.
                Wimbledon.—Miss Zweifel, High School.
                Worthing.—Mr. T. Stevens, West Tarring.
                British Columbia.—Mr. Tagart, Nanaimo.
                Germany.—Miss Norman, Rothebühl Strasse, 1o4, Stuttgart.
                Italy.—Professor Bracciforti, Via Borgo Spesso, 23, Milan.
                " Signora Pauline Turin-Pozzi, Corso Duca di Genova, 27, Turin.
                " Signora Lea de Magny, San Remo.
                Melbourne (Australia).—Mr. Wilton, Highfields, High Street, Kew.
                New Zealand.—Rev. O. B. Hoare, Papanui Parsonage, Canterbury.
                Paris.—Mr. A. E. Gladstone, 3, Rue du .Cirque.
                St. Helier (Jersey).—Mrs. E. Bisson, 3, Parade.
                Switzerland.—Dr. H. M. Humphrey, Oberhofen, Thun (or Sedan St, 25, Dresden, Germany).
                Tasmania.—Miss E. Carter, Macquarrie Street, Hobart.
                United States.—Mrs. D. M. Little, 40, Chestnut Street, Salem, Mass.

--end

John Page Hopps gives an accounting of himself:

The Coming Day, Volumes 3-4, January, 1893, Pages 1-2

My father was a strong, resolute, solid-minded Calvinist; my mother was a vivid, poetic, Swedenborgian on the wing. It has never occurred to me to imagine the possibility of a greater contrast. My self-chosen minister was a Baptist of a somewhat unusual kind—-a dapper little gentleman, with dainty ways, and the most correct style imaginable, who charmed me with his serene thinking and persuasive manner. But I soon learnt to be on the wing on my own account. As a lad of fourteen my one amusement or delight was to run half over London in the evenings listening to all kinds of people, from Cobden to Fergus O'Connor, and from staid divines to latter-day saints. Then, at the age of eighteen, I went to the Baptist College at Leicester, and had for five years, as student and minister, the interesting experience of village life amongst farmers and cowkeepers, labourers and colliers. From that, I was suddenly called to join George Dawson, at Birmingham, where I came into close contact with a bright and emancipated congregation, wrote " The Church without a Sect," and worked as minister to the poor, seeing much of life among the strugglers in the Black Country. Presently, away to the Unitarians at Sheffield, where I undertook the development of a congregation whose place of meeting was a joiner's shop reached by some wooden steps. But, both at Birmingham and in Sheffield, I delighted to meet, beyond all chapel lines, great numbers of working people on Sundays, in public halls. Then on to the Manchester district, with its political and social movements and its vivid life, all enlightening and helpful; and again on, this time to Scotland, and a never-to-be-forgotten sight of its stern survivals in church and creed. Then back to Leicester and its supreme lessons, gained from contact with the thousands who came from the streets for sympathy, and to hear the words of this life, apart from all connection with conventional establishments and creeds. All this time, for at least thirty-five years, I was in touch with every human movement, and took a constant and vivid interest in everything that concerned the happiness of the struggling "masses." Co-operation, Trade Unions, Political reforms, Self-government and Self-help have never appeared to me to be alien to religion.

--end

Who's Who: An Annual Biographical Dictionary (London: Adam and Charles Black, 1904), Page 754

HOPPS, John Page, editor of The Coming Day since 1891 ; b. London, 6 Nov. 1834. Educ: Baptist Coll. Leicester. Baptist minister, Hugglescote and Ibstock, 1855 ; colleague with George Dawson, Church of the Saviour, Birmingham, 1858; Unitarian minister at Sheffield, Dukinfield, Glasgow, Leicester, and Croyden; member first School Board of Glasgow; proprietor and editor of The Truthseeker, 1863-87; Founder of Our Father's Church, 1892. Publications: Pilgrim Songs; Sermons of Sympathy; Pessimism, Science and God; Death a Delusion; Spirit-Life in God the Spirit; Does God Care? Personal Prayers; A Scientific Basis of Belief in a Future Life; The Alleged Prophecies Concerning Jesus Christ in the Old Testament; The Plain Truth about the Bible; The Bible for Beginners; First Principles of Religion and Morality. Recreation: change of work. Address: Kirby Fields, Leicester.

Comment

• The Two Worlds

The Emma Hardinge Britten Archive has scans of a spiritualist newspaper, The Two Worlds. Here are some bits relating to R. J. Lees.

The Two Worlds, January 13, 1888, Page 139

COLNE.-Mr. E. W. Wallis delivered two stirring lectures here on
                  Sunday to moderately large audiences. The effects of the recent visit
                  of Mr. Ashcroft are manifest in the determination of the local friends
                  to form a society (the meetings hitherto have been managed by Burnley
                  workers), and everywhere there is a strong desire to obtain information
                  and investigate. Mr. Ashcroft retired discredited; the people were
                  disgusted with his tactics, and would have broken his lantern but for
                  the generous interference of Mr. Lees, who endeavoured to restore order.
                  The following testimonials to Mr. Lees' healing have been supplied;
                  others are promised, but in some of the best cases the patients are
                  afraid of the persecution which would follow a public avowal. Much
                  good has been done in this direction. "Ellen Sugden, Essex Street,
                  Colne, testifies that she was troubled with swellings in the body and
                  indigestion of long standing, and after a few passes from Mr. R. J. Lees
                  she was entirely relieved from the swelling, and can eat almost anything
                  without feeling the least inconvenience." "Mrs. Greenwood, Selden
                  Street, suffered for a long time from acute pains in the head. Been
                  under medical treatment but no better; visited Mr. Lees twice, who
                  laid his hand upon her head, and made a few passes on each occasion.
                  She is now completely free from pain, and has been ever since. She
                  was treated about three weeks since."

The Two Worlds, February 10, 1888, Page 202

MlDDLESBROUGH.-Morning at Granville Rooms: Mr. R. J. Lees
                  gave an intensely interesting discourse on "Hell; what is it, and
                  where!" .He said theology invented a horrible hell as a scarecrow to
                  non-contents, making it eternal and final. But fire was the symbol of
                  purification, and if hell was really fire, then God must be he11, as "our
                  God is a consuming fire;" hell was a purifying process, not a locality.
                  Evening at Cleveland Hall: A thought-stirring.address on the "Many
                  Mansions." It was curious to see souls arriving in spirit life expecting
                  to see Jesus, forgetting he had passed into the highest heavens. By
                  goodness and obedience to God's will was a mansion prepared. Though
                  the gates of the heavenly city were always open to receive the pilgrim
                  and the stranger, religions, forms, and creeds were nothing; a good life
                  was everything.-J. C.

Page iii

Name:	jtr-TwoWorlds18880210-lees.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	664760

The Two Worlds, March 29, 1889, Pages 237-238

LONDON. Peckham, Winchester Hall, 33, High Street.--Morning:
                  Mr. R. J. Lees discoursed upon "How does Christianity regard Physical
                  Death?" The enquiry Was important, as the differences in religious
                  systems consisted in conflicting views as to the effect upon the individual
                  of the death of the body. He showed that the Nazarene ignored
                  physical death, but taught that life was continuous without any break
                  to mar its progressive development. Evening subject: "What must I do
                  to be saved?" In referring to the incident at Philippi, when the
                  gaoler asked the above question, the lecturer contended that the Church
                  had substituted "Believe on the blood of Jesus" for the answer which
                  Paul gave. That as orthodoxy damns spiritualism as being of the
                  devil, so in those days it (orthodoxy) crucified Christ, persecuted Paul,
                  and tortured the early Christians. The creed and gospel of Jesus was
                  love not blood, and is comprised in the basic tenets of spiritualism--
                  the Fatherhood of God and the Brotherhood of Man. Every point was
                  logically argued, and supported by numerous quotations from the
                  Bible. Numerous questions were ably answered.-R. B. [Bible texts
                  prove nothing and have no authority, they represent only the opinions
                  of tbe writers. Let us cease bandying texts and deal with facts, and
                  live the good and true life which alone avails.-E. W. W.]

The Two Worlds, April 5, 1889, Page 249

BIBLE AUTHORITY

To the Editress of the "The Two Worlds."

MADAM,--My good friend Mr Wallis has seen fit to attach a note to
                  the Peckham report of my last two discourses in your present number,
                  which, without some disclaimer on my part, may be the means of conveying
                  a wrong impression in some minds, and this is my only excuse
                  for seeking to trespass on your valuable space. His words are--"Bible
                  texts prove nothing, and have no authority; they represent only the
                  opinions of the writers. Let us cease bandying texts, and deal with
                  facts." His assumption is that I attach an undue authority to the texts
                  I quoted in the discourses mentioned in the report, which is an error
                  almost as gross as it is possible to make, Those who have heard me most
                  can bear witness to the fact that I have no superstitious reverence
                  for the book, and that I criticize it perhaps as severely as Mr W.
                  himself, but in a different manner.

The quarrel, as I understand it, which exists between Spiritualists
                  and the Bible, is not, or ought not to be with the book, but with the
                  interpretation which partisans place upon it to suit thier own craft. I
                  take it as a record of Spirit communications--quite as fallible in many
                  cases as those we get to-day, but for all that containing much that we
                  may profit by, and is worthy of emulation, as well as contrariwise.

But is Mr Wallis in a position to say "Bible texts prove nothing and
                  have no authority"? To him they may not, but what of the millions in
                  this country who accept it as of absolute authority whom Mr Wallis,
                  with every other good Spiritualist, is seeking to convert? We know
                  very well that the Bible is the first, second and last argument they bring
                  against us. Therefore if we can show from their own authority that we
                  are right, and by so doing remove this stumbling-block from our path,
                  are we not achieving a victory quite as much as if we ignored the
                  impediment and excited the fear of those who hold so tenaciously to this
                  book? We shall never all see alike, but for my part I have been able
                  to help along the work by this method as I should have done by any
                  other; but that is no reason why Mr Wallis should be denounced by me.
                  Therefore let us work as we see we are fitted--he dealing with facts of
                  to-day if it pleases him best, and I will do the same or deal with historic
                  facts when so inclined: each in their place are good, and useful, and
                  necessary.

I am sure Mr Wallis did not mean what some friends here think looks
                  like a touch of Papal authority in his note; so thanking you for your
                  general courteous treatment of myself in reports which have appeared,
                  believe me with every good wish to be, yours most fraternally,

Robert Jas. Lees

The Two Worlds, May 10, 1889, Page 316

CHRISTIAN SPIRITUALISM

We have received a long letter from Mr. R. J. Lees, tbe apparent aim of
                  which is to promote furtber discussion on the above subject, a matter
                  Which we must decline, as the case at present stands.

Mr. Lees considered himself aggrieved by a certain remark made
                  by Mr. Wallis in a former issUe, concerning hie views of the Bible and
                  Christianity. The Editor gave Mr. Lees the privilege of a reply, and
                  there tho matter--as far as the presentation pf personal opinions goes--
                  must end. "Verax" writes a letter of inquiry on the same supject, to
                  which the Editor replled, and to that reply Mr. Lees takes exception.
                  Were we to fill up evcry column of this paper with such useless
                  discussions, we would only reiterate the position taken in our reply to
                  "Verax." Rut vain discussions are not the object for whicb this paper
                  is printed. Those who, in the light of modern knowledge and research,
                  still remain Christian spIritualists, are not likely to change their position
                  from any opportunities afforded them for newspaper controversy. ThOse
                  who have abandoned tbat position are certainly not likely to return to it
                  under any incentive but such facts as no one on earth can give them.
                  The discussion of mere opinions therefore would be as vain as it is distasteful
                  to readers seeking for facts and progressive ideas rather than
                  theories and mythical speculations. We are always willing to give anyone
                  who consders himself aggrieved by aught that appears in these
                  columns an opportunity to state his complaint, and if need be, to set
                  himself right, beyond this we cannot assign spaoe in this little paper
                  for merely personal opinions or vain controversies.- ED. T.W.

The Two Worlds, May 17, 1889, Page 330

NORTHAMPTON.-The guides of Mr. R. J. Lees gave two grand and
                  logical discourses on Sunday last-2·30, "Conditions of Mediumship
                  and the seances;" 6-30, "Paul and Jesus contrasted." The evening subject
                  WaB a terrific blow to orthodox Christianity, the audience
                  repeatedly demonstrating their approval of the arguments advanced.

Comment

• Some more items from The Two Worlds as found at The Emma Hardinge Britten Archive.

The Two Worlds, March 2, 1888, Page 238

HEALING BY MR. J. R. [sic] LEES AT COLNE.-The following testimonials
                    have reached us respecting the healing performed by Mr. Lees: Kidney
                    trouble. Mr. A. Faulkner, of 3, Whitaker's Square, Waterside, Colne,
                    says he was under the care of Dr. Sunderland, of Burnley, for three
                    weeks but received no benefit. He went to Mr. Lees once, and the
                    effects: were marvellous. Although he had not slept soundly for months,
                    the night after the treatment by Mr. Lees he slept deeply all n1ght.
                    His general health is greatly improved; he has gained six pounds in
                    weight, and the symptoms have disappeared. He is deeply grateful for
                    the benefit he has received. There can be no doubt that Mr. Lees
                    possesses strong healing "virtues," as the following also testifies:--
                    "Ethel B. Halfhead, of Hobetones, Colne, had been suffering for more
                    than two years from a large swelling in the front of her neck, which
                    was a great impediment to her breathing and seriously affected her voice,
                    She went to Mr. Lees for treatment, at Colne, on December 21st, 1887.
                    The swelling at once very much lessened, and at the end of the second
                    day the breathing had become much strengthened, and the voice improved.
                    She carefully followed his advice; and at the present time,
                    January 16th, 1888, is perfectly cured, She sends this as a grateful
                    testimony." In reply to our questions for further particulars, the
                    following has been received:--" Miss Ethel B. Halfhead had been under
                    the treatment of a doctor during the past ten months. They gave no
                    hope of a cure for a very long time, but rather the contrary. We
                    believe the swelling was a 'goitre'--from the questions asked by the
                    doctor; but he did not say what it was."

The Two Worlds, March 30, 1888, Page 286

CRAWSHAWBOOTH.-A number of the friends from Colne, with
                    Mr. R. J. Lees, visited Crawshawbooth, where Mr. Lees delivered two
                    discourses on "Spiritualism a Cornerstone of Christianity," a reply to
                    the Rev. T. Ashcroft's recent statements in the district, that
                    spiritualism is anti-scriptural. Mr. Lee's argument is powerful and
                    answerable, showing by upwards of one hundred references that there
                    has been communication with the unseen world from the earliest
                    times; that the prophets of the bible were simply media; they held
                    seances, took fees for the same, used music, had to wait for their
                    answers, were often false, told lies, were not believed, and were
                    persecuted by the priests. Spirit communion was sanctioned by Jesus,
                    and the meetings uf the early church were nothing but seances as we
                    hold them to-day, finishing uy demanding an admission that spiritualism
                    Was sanctioned by the bible, or the resurrection of Jesus was
                    untrue, and challenging anyone to attack his position. The audiences
                    were large. The second discourse was listened to with marked attention,
                    the silence being almost painful when the speaker sat down and asked
                    for opposition--no one offered to move. Mr. Lees is at Colne for
                    some time, and friends wishing him to visit them, should communicate
                    with Mr. J. W. Coles, 16, Seldon Street, Colne.

The Two Worlds, April 6, 1888, Page 298

COLNE.-Mr. R. J. Lees conducted two services, with marked
                    success, always obtaining good audiences. Afternoon subject: "The
                    Dawn of Immortality."· He repudiated the orthodox idea that the fall
                    of man was a curse, but insisted and satisfactorily proved that it tended
                    to the elevation of man above the angels, owing to the intellectual
                    development that resulted therefrom. In the evening: "Come up
                    Higher;" tracing the parallels of the Divine workings, showing the
                    thing which hath been is that which shall be, and proving the fact of
                    spirit communion from the repetition of spiritual history. Mr. Lees is
                    now staying at 16, Seldon Street, Colne, for some time, and in addition
                    to his lectures is exercising his healing powers with considerable success.

The Two Worlds, May 25, 1888, Pages 382-383

MARYLEBONE.-Morning: very good attendance, Mr. Hawkins
                    magnetised several. Mr, Goddard jun., gave clairvoyant descriptions.
                    The guides of Miss Todd gave a short address, exhorting us to develop
                    the God-power which was inherent in all. Evening: Mr. Hopcroft
                    gave a telling and instructive address on "Mediumship and Clairvoyance,"
                    treaing [sic] both subjects from a scientific standpoint, followed
                    by clairvoyant descriptions. Fifteen descriptions given, fourteen
                    recognized. Mr. R. J. Lees, of Acton, made a few remarks with
                    reference to the conversion of an athiest [sic] while he was present at one of
                    Mr. Hopcroft's meetings in the country. The description and the
                    message to him from his own father, it was impossible, he said, for him
                    to ignore.--Cor.

Comment

• Yet more item from The Two Worlds from The Emma Hardinge Britten Archive.

The Two Worlds, June 15, 1888, Page 418

LONDON. Marylebone.-Morning: Very good attendance. Mr.
                      Hawkins held his usual healing seance, then he magnetized several.
                      Mr. Goddard, sen., clairvoyance. Their gifts were much appreciated
                      by the friends present. Evening: The guides of Mr. Robert James Lees
                      delivered an inspirational address on "Spiritualism: its Claims and
                      Possibilities," which was listened to with rapt attention, the closing
                      remarks calling forth from the audience an ebullition of feeling which
                      showed its entire appreciation.

The Two Worlds, July 6, 1888, Page 454

LONDON. Marylebone--Morning: Very good attendance. Mr.
                      Hawkins employed his healing power. Mr. Goddard, sen., was very
                      successful in giving clairvoyant descriptions. Evening: The guides of
                      Mr. R. J. Lees gave an address on "The Media of the Bible" to a fair
                      and attentive audience. A section being more advanced spiritualists,
                      somewhat differed from the views of the control, and a lengthy discussion
                      took place, the main point being that while the latter invited his
                      hearers to drink from the stream, the former preferred the spring.

The Two Worlds, July 20, 1888, Page 478

LONDON. Peckham.--Mr. A. M. Rodger on "Spiritualism and
                      Secularism." Little opposition being forthcoming, Mr. Rodger gave
                      some interesting experiences in his investigation. Mr. Mann and others
                      also spoke. Evening: Mr. R. J. Lees delivered an excellent address
                      upon "Search the Scriptures," which gave much food for reflection.
                      He maintained that the Bible is a vast storehouse of spiritual wealth,
                      and proceeded to show many misconceptions which prevail. The Bible
                      had been given to man through fallible means, by spiritual agencies, in
                      the same manner as spirits to-day communicate with man. Many
                      interesting questions were submitted, and were well answered. As an
                      advocate of spiritualism, from a biblical standpoint, Mr. Lees must be
                      accorded a high position. We cordially invite London spiritualists to
                      bring their orthodox friends on Sunday evening next to hear Mr. Lees
                      on "Is Spiritualism Anti-Scriptural?"- W. E. L.

The Two Worlds, July 27, 1888, Page 490

LONDON. Winchester Hall, Peckham.--Our summer outing and
                      Lyceum excursion, on July 17th, was favoured with pleasant weather.
                      Some sixty friends participated in a most enjoyable trip. Sports and
                      games were indulged in. A vigorous attack upon an excellent tea formed
                      an important item. Home at 8-30, with many expressions of good
                      will and hopes for another such day. July 22nd: "Personal Responsibility
                      v. Vicarious Atonement," opened by Mr. U. W. Goddard, provided
                      a profitable morning's discussion. Evening: Mr. R. J. Lees delivered
                      a splendid address--"Is Spiritualism Anti-Scriptural?" followed by a
                      large assemblage. Viewed from an orthodox standpoint, the lecture
                      opened up many new ideas as to the spiritual communications in the
                      Old Testament. A number of passages were quoted to prove that
                      spiritualism is in accordance with the scriptures. Mr. Lees announced
                      he was ready to debate with orthodox friends. Questions submitted
                      were well answered. We are much indebted to Mr. Lees. He will be
                      with us again shortly.-- W. E. L.

The Two Worlds, August 10, 1888, Page 514

LONDON. Open Air Work. HARROW ROAD (near the Cemetery
                      wa11).-- Mr. Lees gave an excellent lecture, "How I became a spiritualist,"
                      to the largest audience on the open space. Much interest Was
                      taken in questioning the speaker, who ably acquitted himself. Mr.
                      Lees, by the request of a materialist (who Will oppose him), Will be
                      present next Sunday, at 11-15. HYDE PARK (near the Marble Arch).--
                      Mr. J. Burns lectured (and was in good form) to a large and respectable
                      audience. Mr. Goddard also addressed the meeting. Spiritualistic
                      literature was in great demand. Next Sunday at 3-30. I have now
                      exhausted a large store of some thousands of copies of our weekly
                      papers, which have been sent me for distribution, and should be glad of
                      a fresh supply. I have also been for several weeks past supplied with
                      about 180 copies of The Two Worlds; this has also been discontinued
                      for the present, but hope some generous friend will take up the matter,
                      and keep the supply going through the summer months.--W. O. Drake.

The Two Worlds, August 17, 1888, Page 526

LONDON. Open-air meeting in Epping Forest.--In fine weather
                      over one hundred spiritualists spent the day in Epping Forcst. A
                      meeting was held, opened by Mr. Burns, who deprecated cliques and
                      paid mediumship, which, he maintained, tended to lower spiritualism.
                      A new departure was necessary for the purification of the movement.
                      Mr. Rodger advocated better organization as a means of spreading our
                      views. Mr. McKenzie, speaking on the different forms of mediumship,
                      maintained that all were useful. Mr. Darby recommended care in the
                      exercise of spiritual gifts. Mr. Towns defended paid mediums as a
                      necesssity of the present state of the movement. Mr. Lees advocated
                      harmony. Mr. Veitch deemed the public expression of different opinions
                      a healthful sign. In conclusion. Mr. Yeates spoke briefly on
                      individualism. Mr. Burns pronounced the benediction, and brought an
                      interesting meeting to a close. Another correspondent, writing of the
                      same meeting, says that "Mr. Burns, after making an impressive invocation,
                      spoke about cliques and professional traffickers in spiritualism,
                      which were degrading the movement. This onslaught brought up Mr.
                      Towns, who protested against the wholesale allegations of Mr. Burns;
                      that he (Mr. Burns) was the biggest professional and greatest drawer of
                      money in the movement. Some unpleasant wrangling took place, but,
                      like a thunderstorm, the atmosphere of thought will be all the better
                      and purer. Such explosions have a tendency to let the 'devil of
                      darkness' out of all parties, and will, sooner or later, let in the angel
                      of peace and light, which is repelled by our uncivilized animosities.
                      Nevertheless, many beautiful and practical thoughts were expressed
                      during the meeting."--W.M. HARROW ROAD (near the cemetery wall).
                      A great meeting, over 200 persons. Mr. Lees took up the
                      challenge put forward last Sunday by a materialist--to debate the
                      subject of "Spiritualism" from a scientific basis--in an able and
                      creditable speech. When the materialist was called upon he was not
                      forthcoming. Short speeches were then delivered in answer to
                      questions and opposition from the audience. The undersigned also
                      addressed the meeting. Next Sunday, at 11-16, Mr. J. Burns is
                      expected.-HYDE PARK (near the Marble Arch). An excellent gathering.
                      Mrs. Yeeles addressed the meeting, and great attention was given
                      to the lady, who gave many reasons why she became a spiritualist.
                      The undersigned also spoke upon tbe same subject. Next Sunday at
                      3-30 (will friends kindly bring spare literature?).-- W. O. Drake.

Comment

• More items from The Two Worlds as found at The Emma Hardinge Britten Archive.

Apparently, the open air meetings held on Harrow Road near the cemetery wall were near the Kensal Green Cemetery, which was specified in the Chicago article as the place where the suspected doctor's empty coffin was entombed.

The Two Worlds, September 14, 1888, Page 574

London. Winchester Hall, Peckham.--The morning was profitably
                        spent in replying to questions appertaining to spiritualism. Evening,
                        a crowded audience listened attentively to a powerful address by Mr. R.
                        J. Lees on "Spiritualism, and its Relation to Christianity." The
                        lecturer replied to many interesting questions. The chairman taking
                        exception to some of the utterances of the speaker. Mr. Lees expressed
                        willingness to debate the matter on one or two week evenings. This we
                        hope to arrange shortly. Miss Blenman will deliver an inspirational
                        address on Sunday evening next; this being her first public appearance
                        we hope for a large attendance of spiritualists and sympathetic friends.

Page iii

Name:	jtr-TwoWorlds18880914-lees.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	664785

The Two Worlds, September 28, 1888, Page 598

London. Open-Air Work, HARROW ROAD. (near the Cemetery
                        Wall).--An excellent gathering, numbering many hundreds of people,
                        the roadway at times being entirely blocked. Opening speech by W. O.
                        Drake, followed by Mr. Lees who gave a powerful discourse, being often
                        applauded. The Christians (so-called) were in force and offered determined
                        opposition, but were well replied to by the speaker. Next
                        Sunday we shall have a set debate between Mr. Doe, Christian, and
                        Mr. Lees, Spiritualist; subject, "Spiritualism, the corner-stone of
                        Christianity;" to commence at 11 prompt. Glad of the support of all local
                        spiritualists. About 100 copies of The Two Worlds were given away
                        besides other literature, The Two Worlds being kindly sent to us by
                        Mr. Younger. [...]

The Two Worlds, October 5, 1888, Pages 610-611

London. Open-Air Work, [...] HARROW ROAD (near the
                        (Cemetery wall).--The debate, as arranged, took place, each disputant
                        having equal time. A vast audience listened for two hours and a half,
                        applauding each speaker. Mr. Lees acquitted himself ably, and proved
                        too much for his opponent all through the debate. The element of
                        personality and abuse was not manifest until the last speech of our
                        opponent, which was immediately rebuked by the hundreds assembled.
                        He at once apologized. A vote was then taken, and the people declared
                        in favour of Mr. Lees with about three dissentients. Mr. Younger
                        again favored us with a large quantity of this week's issue of The
                        Two Worlds, and other literature which was greatly sought for. Next
                        Sunday at 11-15, Mr. Rodger. [...]

LONDON. Winchester Hall, Peckham,--The subject, "Poetry and
                        the Future Life," was chosen by Mr. J. Veitch for his morning discourse,
                        many quotations being given showing the views held as to an after
                        existence. Mr Harper and others spoke on the same interesting subject.
                        Evening: Mr. R. J. Lees had a crowded audience to hear his instructive
                        address on "Spiritualism in the Early Christian Church." Many questions
                        prolonged the meeting to a late hour, this being the last of the
                        four addresses on Spiritualism in connection with the Bible and biblical
                        times. All received attentively by large audiences, who, while not
                        agreeing with all the conclusions of the lecturer, yet the powerful
                        addresses, combined with the interesting answers to questions, have
                        awakened many new ideas and thoughts in connection with spirit
                        communion. Our best thanks are due to Mr. Lees and his able control. In
                        compliance with the wishes of many friends, Mr. R. J. Lees will, on
                        October 14th open a discussion on "Who was Jesus?" All welcome.

The Two Worlds, October 12, 1888, Pages 622-623

NORTHAMPTON.--Mr. Lees of London gave two brilliant addresses.
                        Afternoon subject, "What does Spiritualism teach Me?" Evening,
                        "Spiritualism the corner stone of Christianity;" both subjects were
                        handled with an earnestness and purity of thought which carried his
                        audience with him from start to finish, casuing enquiries, "When will he
                        be here again?"--T.H.

The Two Worlds, October 19, 1888, Page 634

LONDON. Winchester Hall, Peckham.--Glorious meeting with Mr.
                        R. J. Lees. Morning subject: "Who was Jesus?" A well sustained
                        discussion, in which Mr. Harper, Mr. Veitch, and others participated.
                        Excellent replies to objections were made by Mr. Lees, which terminated
                        an interesting and profitable meeting. A large attendance. Evening:
                        the hall was crowded. Mr. Lees discourse on the "Gospel
                        according to Spiritualism," was received with great attention and
                        satisfaction, as were the able replies to questions. Mr. Lees promised to
                        give, at an early date, an address, on Spirit Mediumship v. Conjuring,
                        with illustrations of the latter--particulars shortly.--W. E. Long

The Two Worlds, October 26, 1888, Page 647

LONDON. Victoria Hall, Bayswater. At 11 a,m,, a few workers,
                        including Mr. J. Hopcroft, spent a profitable hour. At 7 p.m., greater
                        interest and much enthusiasm was manifested. A good audience. Mr.
                        Drake gave an outline for future action. Mr. J. Lees made a thorough
                        and excellent defence of the phenomena and teachings of spiritualism,
                        and was considered to have spoken with more fluency than previously.
                        Mr. Veitch, in the same line, was successful in pressing the superiority
                        of our teachings over those of the Churches. That long-tried worker,
                        Mr. Emms, took up the theme, and spoke with great feeling and power.
                        Many thanks for sympathetic letters and generous offers of assistance.

Comment

• The mention of Kensal Green reminded me of these perhaps not especially germane reports:

New York Sun, January 22, 1888, Page 1, Column 2

Latest News from Europe

[...]

Kensal Green, a suburb of London, is haunted
                          with a sprlng-heeled ghost, who has been
                          frightening old women and children into fits.
                          A vigilance committee, armed with special constables'
                          clubs, are searching for that ghost.

--end

The Legend of Spring-Heeled Jack: Victorian Urban Folklore and Popular Cultures (Boydell Press, 2012), Page 216, Note 51
                          by Karl Bell

This image was also close to the descriptions of Spring-heeled Jack in several London apperances in January 1888. In Kensal Green, Queen's Park, and Kilburn Lane he was said to have worn 'blackskin tights' and 'a black skullcap; whilst his pale face was 'presumably chalked.' See Dundee Courier,23rd January 1888.

--end

Dundee Courier, January 23, 1888, Page 3, Column 6

NEWS OF THE DAY

[...]

SPRING-HEEL JACK AGAIN.--The neighbourhood
                          of Kensak Green, Queen's Park, and Kilburn Lane
                          has lately been frequented by a nocturnal visitor,
                          attired in a peculiar garb. This modern Spring-heel
                          Jack is decribed as being habited in what are
                          commonly known as black skin tights. On his head he
                          wears a black skullcap, and his face is presumably
                          chalked, while his eyes are encircled by a couple of
                          black rings. He devotes himself to frightening
                          women and children, with whom he has had a
                          certain success. Men he evidently abhors, at least
                          he carefully avoids them. Vigilance Committees
                          have been formed to watch for him, and he may
                          yet make his appearance in the police court.

Comment

• Even more Lees items from The Two Worlds found at The Emma Hardinge Britten Archive.

The Two Worlds, November 16, 1888, Page 11

NORTHAMPTON.--2-30: Mr. Lees, of London, lectured on "Immortality";
                            evening, "The Conditions of the Departed after leaving the
                            Body." We had a feast in both subjects, being a thorough blending of
                            reason and brotherly love; and to say that the discourses were brilliant
                            is but a feeble attempt to describe the treat Mr. Lees's guides provided
                            us with.--T.H.

The Two Worlds, November 23, 1888, Page 22

LONDON. Bayswater: Victoria Hall.--Morning: About twenty-five
                            persons assembled. Mr. Read, of Westbourne Park baptist Chapel,
                            reviewed spiritualism from a scientific and religious aspect. The
                            address embodied serious thought and deep research, and several
                            members spoke thereon. Healing by Mr. Goodard; clairvoyance by
                            Mr. Towns, junior. Evening, at 7, Mr. R. J. Lees gave a critical and
                            thorough review of speeches delivered by opponents at the debate
                            in St. Peter's schoolrooms the previous Tuesday, in a manner which
                            gave unanimous satisfaction to the over-crowded audience, being
                            enthusiastically applauded.

The Two Worlds, December 14, 1888, Pages 54-56

London Spiritualist Federation
                            Successful Tea and Public Meetings at Goswell Hall,
                            Sunday, December 2nd, 1888

[...]

Mr. R. J. Lees said: The Chairman has truly remarked
                            that spiritualism is no new revelation. It is God's old
                            revelation. It was the same 1900 years ago as it is to-day.
                            It only varies in degree, but not in kind. Whatever God is
                            --and it is beyond my feeble comprehension--I hold him to
                            be perfect. We are told in the Old Book "I am God, I
                            change not." Therefore if God does not change, his revelation
                            does not change. It simply increases in power, as man's
                            material power become greater. If angels appeared to
                            Abraham on the plains of Mamre, why should it not again
                            happen to-day? Yes, the truth of God's revelation is rising
                            to-day, it is coming up in His own good time.

Truth crushed to earth shall rise again
                            The eternal years of God are here [sic; hers];
                            But Error, wounded, writhes with pain,
                            And dies among her [sic; his] worshippers.

[Google says this is from The Battle-field by William Cullen Bryant)

We are fighting a winning battle, for we have Truth on
                            our side.

We are here to-night, friends, to mark an epoch in
                            spiritualism. We just sit down in sight of the loved ones, in
                            hearing of their music and song, and say we will form into
                            an army, and wiil go hand-in-hand and face our enemies in
                            one solid front. We will not go on in easy traces, as we
                            have been doing single-handed. Let us march along in one
                            great choir, and send back the refrain of the angels' glorious
                            song throughout the world. As our minds go back to that
                            memorable Sunday spent by our soldiers fighting on the field
                            of Waterloo, we remember how Wellington, mounted on his
                            charger standing under a tree, mourned for the battle almost
                            lost. The English ranks were thinning and swaying to and
                            fro, annihilation seemed inevitable. Just then, over the top
                            of the hills, at the back of the French army, was seen another
                            army approaching. The English took this as a re-inforcement
                            for the French, and the last spark of hope died out.
                            On and on, closer and closer they came, until a voice
                            exclaimed, "Cheer up, lads, it is Blucher." The English took
                            heart, the Prussian army came sweeping down. The French
                            were between the two forces. Confusion seized their ranks,
                            and turning, they fled from the field, only just in time to
                            escape annihilation. Friends, we have fought hard; our
                            ranks have swayed backward and forward; and the battle
                            seemed almost lost. But look! look up there! The hosts
                            of heaven are coming down; our foes are between the two
                            armies of angels and men! One more effort, and we have
                            won. Hark! from the angel hosts comes the cry:--

Hold the fort! for we are coming,
                            Angels signal still;
                            Wave the answer back to heaven,
                            By God's help we will.

[From hymn 190 in Hymns of Progress (London: John Heywood, 1884)]

The Two Worlds, December 21, 1888, Page 69

LONDON.--Winchester Hall, Peckham: On December 16th, an
                            excellent address on "Human Knowledge" was given by Mr. R.J.
                            Lees at the morning meeting, and in the evening Mr. W. O. Drake gave
                            some interesting personal experiences, which were attentively followed.
                            Horse Shoe Hall, Old Kent Road: A good meeting was held in the
                            above hall. Mr. Lees, speaking on "Bible Testimony to Modern
                            Spiritualism," said ample evidence was given to show the reality and
                            position of spirit communion in Biblical times. We regret to announce
                            that the meetings in Horse Show Hall will be discontinued on and from
                            Sunday next, as we are unable to obtain the use of the hall any longer,
                            but hope to find a suitable meeting place in the neighbourhood
                            shortly.--W.E. Long.

Comment

• A few more items from The Emma Hardinge Britten Archive.

The Two Worlds, January 4, 1889, Page 93

LONDON. 9, Bedford Gardens, W.--Several interesting speeches
                              by members, also an exchange of opinion with sceptics in reference to the
                              phenomena of spiritualism. Evening, Mr. Robert Lees gave an expressive
                              inspirational address to a good audience, subject "The Gleaners,"
                              as exemplified in Hymn 65 of Spiritual Songs and Hymns. The address
                              Was thoroughly characteristic and in harmony with the season. After
                              reviewing our work, failings, and successes of 1888, he gave a telling
                              exhortation to be more sincere and active in 1889, and impressed upon
                              his hearers the necessity of living a life consistent with our holy faith
                              and knowledge of spirit communion

The Two Worlds, January 11, 1889, Page 106

LONDON. King's Cross.--Sunday morning, Mr. Rodgers opened on
                              "Prayer," after which discussion followed. Evening: Mr. R. J. Lees
                              delivered an eloquent address, his text being, "Only be thou strong
                              and courageous," which he thought would be an excellent motto for this
                              year. We hope to have him again with us shortly. We were favoured
                              by some splendid singing by the "Nickless Family." Friends, come and
                              join our band, aud help us to fight for this grand cause.

LONDON. Zephyr Hall, 9, Bedford Gardens, Notting Hill Gate, W.--On
                              December 31st, between 60 and 70 friends assembled at 10
                              p.m. to finish the old year, and commence the new by holding a spiritual
                              and devotional service. Short addresses were given by Mr. R. Lees
                              and Mr. W. O. Drake. It was unanimously agreed to be more faithful
                              and sincere workers in our holy cause for the new year. Seyeral ladies
                              provided a good supply of tea, coffee, cake, &c., which was partaken of
                              twice during the meeting. The Professor also kindly gave the use of
                              the hall free of charge. Sunday, 6th, morning: a small but pleasant
                              audience assembled. Short speeches by members, and good work in
                              healing, by Mr. Goddard, sen. Evening: The audience were entertained
                              by Mr. Portman, and clairvoyance by Mr. Mathews, who gave
                              great satisfaction.

The Two Worlds, February 8, 1889, Page 158

LONDON. Zephyr Hall, 9, Bedford Gardens, Notting Hill Gate.--
                              Morning, a paper on "Salvation" was read by the secretary. Comments
                              were made by Mr. Collins and Mr. W. G. Hopcroft. It was
                              agreed that the discussion should be adjourned. Afternoon, committee
                              meeting; some good work being done. Mr. Willis was elected assistant.
                              sec. Evening, excellent audience, though the weather was very
                              unfavourable. Mr. R. Lees gave an excellent and well reasoned out
                              lecture, subject, "Our Spirit Homes," the logic of which was thoroughly
                              in keeping with the teachings of spiritualism. Mr. Goddard gave
                              several clairvoyant descriptions, mostly recognized. Miss Edith West
                              favoured us with some excellent singing.

The Two Worlds, February 22, 1889, Page 178

NORTHAMPTON.-- We had Mr. Lees with us. 2·30: subject,
                              "Familiar Spirits," a reply to the orthodox objection that spiritualism
                              is condemned and forbidden in the Bible; and at 6·30, "Peculiarities
                              of Bible spiritualism," a reply to the statement that, if spiritualism were
                              of God, it would not be contradictory. Both discourses were handled
                              in a manner which riveted the attention of good audiences; in a word,
                              they were masterpieces of keen reasoning.

Comment

• Again with some items from The Two Worlds as seen at The Emma Hardinge Britten Archive.

The Two Worlds, March 1, 1889, Page 190

NORTHAMPTON.--The guides of Mr. Lees handled the two subjects
                                announced in last week's Two Worlds, in a masterly manner, leaving no
                                chance for the enemy to strike a blow. The language, logic and love
                                eclipsed all we have heard.-T. H.

The Two Worlds, March 15, 1889, Page 214

LONDON. Peckham. Winchester Hall-Mr. J. Lees' [sic] visit, as usual,
                                attracted full audiences, who were deeply interested in the lecture given.
                                The "peculiarities" of Bible Spiritualists were most interesting. A fair
                                sprinkling of orthodox friends present, some" booking" the many texts
                                given, apparently astonished at the amount of spiritualism contained in
                                their book. The parallel between the Bible and modern spiritualistic
                                phenomena and media was well established in the morning address, by
                                a large number of texts which were quoted and dilated upon. Mr.
                                Lees' addresses are particularly interesting to Christian spiritualists,
                                his knowledge of the Bible being simply wonderful.-W. E. L.

Page 216

LONDON FEDERATION SPEAKERS' LIST.

Mrs. Bell, 2, Sidmouth Place, Lyndhurst Road, Peckham
                                Miss Blenman, c/o Mr. Stanley, 5, Binfield Road, Clapham
                                Mr. A. V. Brown, 33, South Grove, Peckham
                                Mr. J. A. Butcher, 157, Bird in Bush Road. Peckham
                                Mr. Clack, 20, Shirland Road, Bristol Gardens, W.
                                Mr. Darby, 31, Stavordale Road, Highbury, N.
                                Mr. W. O. Drake, 34, Cornwall Road, Bayswater, W.
                                Mr. Emms, 6, Stockmar Road, Hackney
                                Mr. W. Goddard, 295, Lavender Hill, Wandsworth
                                Mr. R. Harper, 62, Ivydale Road, Nunhead, S.E.
                                Mr. J. Hopcroft, 8, St. Luke's Terrace, Canterbury Road, Kilburn
                                Mr. J. Humphries, 298, Commercial Road, Peckham
                                Mr. McKenzie, 48, Richmond Road, Barnsbury, N.
                                Miss Keeves, 11, Antill Road, Grove Road, Bow, E.
                                Mr. R. J. Lees, 5, Goldsmith Road, Acton, W.
                                Mr. W. E. Long, 99, Hill Street, Peckham
                                Mr. her Macdonnell, 50, Quickett Street, Bow, E.
                                Mr. Towns, 143, Kentish Town Road, N.W.
                                Mr. J. Veitch, 44, Coleman Road, Peckham

------------

Mr. A. D. Wilson, 3, Battinson Road, Halifax
                                Mr. Wollison, 153, Queen Street, Walsall
                                Mr. G. Wright, 8,Wentworth St., Palmerston St., Beswick, Manchester
                                Mr. Wyldes, 364 Nechells, Long Acre, Birmingham '
                                Mrs. Yarwood, Darton Station, near Barnsley
                                Mrs. Yeeles, 4, Albert Street, New Wisbech

The Two Worlds, March 22, 1889, Page 225

LONDON. 9, Bedford Gardens, Notting Hill Gate.--Morning, Mr.
                                Purcey read a paper on "Our Spirit Habitations." An enthusiastic
                                Christian evidently though he could crush us with his argumentative
                                sledge hammer. Mr. Robert Lees accepted the challenge of the Christian
                                Philistine, who was quickly brought to naught. Evening, Miss
                                Benam's subject was,"The coming religion." A well worked out
                                system of a progressive religion, consistent with the higher teachings
                                of spiritualism, Was dealt with. Several questions were asked bearing
                                upon the teachings of the new church, and the gospel of Jesus Christ,
                                according to Messrs. C. H. Spurgeon & Co. We were pleased with the
                                great improvement in Miss Benam's speaking.

Comment

Working...
                                X