Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pc edward watkins (881-city police) was he the ripper, poss new evidence.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

Just echoing what Chris has said. The discovery of the truncheon and knives isn't anything like evidence that Watkins was Jack the Ripper, it merely presents us with an interesting topic for debate and a bit of a puzzle!

The same holds true, even if Watkins did carve the details on the truncheon. There could be any number of reasonable explanations, but it certainly doesn't mean he was JtR. For one thing, the descriptions of the knives are nothing like those JtR likely used.

I do think though, that Chas' recounting of the discovery has the ring of truth, because of the several innocent inaccuracies, so there could be a perfectly reasonable pre-1945 explanation for it as Archaic said.

Hugs

Jane

xxxx
    I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Actually, re-reading the description of the knives, I was a bit unfair there. If the knife was 14-16 inches long including handle, then it would just about pass, using the doctors average descriptions. If the blade was eight or nine inches long, added together with the handle the description could fit.

So, I take that back.

Hugs

Jane

xxxxx
      I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Hi, I have a question for Chas and Lynsey.

Just out of curiosity, are the letters on the truncheon carved, or are they wood-burned? (Also called Pyrography.)

It's hard to tell from the photo but the letters are very black, which makes me wonder if they were burned in.

Thank you very much,
        Archaic

Comment

hi,

have read through the posts and spoken with my dad.
          with regards to the area the knives and truncheon were found he cant really be more specific, it was a long time ago and unfortunately he lost contact with the friends that had the knives so we cant explore that avenue.

The writing on the truncheon i think is carved in i think, as depth and width of each letter varies as it curves round. it also has no identifying makers/supliers marks anywhere that i can see.

just wish we could give you more info to work with, we are finding this whole experience very intresting mulling over the posibilities!!!

thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by lynseyjo View Post
            hi,

have read through the posts and spoken with my dad.
            with regards to the area the knives and truncheon were found he cant really be more specific, it was a long time ago and unfortunately he lost contact with the friends that had the knives so we cant explore that avenue.

The writing on the truncheon i think is carved in i think, as depth and width of each letter varies as it curves round. it also has no identifying makers/supliers marks anywhere that i can see.

just wish we could give you more info to work with, we are finding this whole experience very intresting mulling over the posibilities!!!

thanks all
            Lynsey,

I appreciate that many years have passed since Chas found these items, heck I struggle to remember what I ate for breakfast this morning.

Many thanks to you both for bringing this to our attention. If anything, its certainly drawn an interest.

I wish you luck in getting to the bottom of this, and implore you not to judge the majority of us onnthe negativity of the few.

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi Lynsey,

Monty is spot on. I wish you well in following this up if it's at all possible, and thanks once again for posting the original message and the photos.

I hope you come up with an explanation for the items and let us know what you uncover. Keep digging, you might just find someone that knows someone who has the answer etc., stranger things happen!

Hugs

Jane

xxxxx

Comment

Apologies for being 13 years late to this thread (the story of my life lol). It’s clear from the debate that the truncheon is not a City Police issue, but unless I missed it nobody actually says it isn’t a metropolitan police truncheon. Since Watkins left the metropolitan police to join the City Police, maybe this is his Met truncheon? I’m guessing it is not a met truncheon either, but being not clued up on these matters I thought I would put my mind at rest by asking. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Supposedly this is PC Watkins' truncheon, handcuffs, whistle, and notebook.
                  "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                    Mark,

The whole carving looks amatuerish, even child like. As Im sure you are aware, Carpentry differs from Joinery. Theres a slightly greater degree of skill. Theres also the pride element.

City of London trucheons had 'CP' (City Police) embossed and its possible there may, and I stress may, be some confusion but yes, I agree, its a rather odd presentation.

Also, his writing was beautiful. Real quality. Better than mine.

Below is the 1st page of Watkins application form showing his previous trade, and a sample of his writing in a 1911 letter he wrote to the City Police. As you can see, Watkins is living in Romford at this time. Infact, he had been living in Romford certainly since 1901, maybe a little before. If these items were his then he didnt take them with him.

Regards
                    Monty

Hi Monty...

Has anyone ever noticed that the 2 photos you uploaded are potentially very significant?

Interestingly, the writing on Watkins' application form differs from the writing on his 1911 letter to the City Police...and yet it is from the same hand.

To me, the writing on the application form is similar to that on the Dear Boss and Saucy Jack Postcard...while the letter to the City Police is similar to that of the From Hell letter.

May just be a coincidence...but is anyone able to place those Watkin's documents directly next to the alleged ripper correspondences and see what I'm referring to?

If you told me that Watkins was also the author of the ripper letters, i would probably agree based on his handwriting...

Could Watkins have been the ripper?

Could it explain how Eddowes killer was never caught?

And could it also explain how the killer seemed to know the police beats for earlier murders?
                    I.e. Neil, Mizen and Thain

What would be the ultimate disguise?

A hollow truncheon with concealed blades?

Check the handwriting and see for yourselves fine people.

TRD

"Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Working...
                    X