Robert Mann - A 'New' Suspect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Montpelier...

I hear you buddy...I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I mean...its not as if Mr. Trow is basing his entire theory on the speculation of some shady lawyer after his own client died now, is it?

Dear Lynn:

Mr. Trow has been around the block, as we say over here in Palookaville. He's been in a recent documentary ( last two years or so..can't remember the title...I believe Lindsay Siviter and that Hutchinson guy were in it ) and I enjoyed hearing his views.
    Last edited by Howard Brown; 10-08-2009, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
      Several previews of the programme can be seen here.
      Ain't some of them reconstuction-y clips and scenes from another documentary? They look like they were in the one where the detective lady was doing her profile of what kind of guy Jack probably was. Not that I'm nitpicking, just an observation.

I think the morgue attendant would make for a better [fictional] book rather than a serious suspect though. Undressing Nichols' (was it Nichols?) cadaver seems more like an act of incompetence than to admire his handiwork to me.

Comment

have been browsing through a few sites and found site about workhouse life(etc),stating inmates had to wear a uniform.This was basically washed out blue stripped shirt,ill fitting trousers tied by cord below the knees,thick vests woollen draws/socks,and a neckerchief.In cold weather they were given a coarse jacket.
        Now if this was the case surely some of the 'eye witness' would have noticed Mann dress code?
        Finally in the rules it states inmates bedtime was 8pm(bell would awaken them at 6/7 am depending on time of year)unless Whitechapel was different.

Dixon9
        still learning

Comment

Doors would have also been locked and staff would have been on duty all night to prevent residents leaving and undesirables from trying to get in.

Please no one say "Ah but he could have got out un be known"

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
            I believe that's what Trow is saying. The bayonet killed her, and then Mann stabbed the body.
            If he is saying that then Mr Trow should change his name to "Hans Christian Anderson"

Comment

I'm wondering if this sudden flurry of positive identification isn't the result of Mr Trow's agent pressing him to write another book--'and if you could name someone this time, Mei, that would be marvellous. Think of the sales.' It's not a million miles off standard practice in a lot of agencies...non-fiction sales, celeb autobiogs aside, aren't exactly strong right now. Imagine what a ripping yarn a new ripper suspect would make. Et cetera.
              best,

claire

Comment

Claire
                You have firmly hit the nail on the head congratulations

Comment

should we just stick to the time honoured and discounted suspects? obviously not one of the tired old suspects is a genuine contender. Does it really hurt to bring in some fresh blood? Robert Mann has to be better than royalty or famous people that have raised their dull ugly heads before?

Comment

Right - was it him? Putting it otherwise: Has the TV show been aired?

Back here is Sweden, we have not had access to the show, leastwise. And since I have ordered the book and will be getting it by mail this week, it would be nice to know if I´m in for a treat or a laugh. I enjoy both, but prefer the former.

The best,
                    Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by Versa View Post
                      should we just stick to the time honoured and discounted suspects? obviously not one of the tired old suspects is a genuine contender. Does it really hurt to bring in some fresh blood? Robert Mann has to be better than royalty or famous people that have raised their dull ugly heads before?
                      Versa,

I agree. I watched the programme twice last night and it gives a really plausible reason how JTR managed to slip through the net completely unnoticed. To me... that has always been the stumbling block presented by the more fanciful " suspects " for example: How does an actor goes to his lodgings dripping in blood, or any of the others ? that explanation is never given. Whilst here, for the first time, it really offers a resonable explanation how it was done and why it has eluded detection even after 100 years. The Robert Mann suspect is as good as any other suspect and better than most.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                        If he is saying that then Mr Trow should change his name to "Hans Christian Anderson"
                        About the bayonet. That is NOT what he is saying. What he contends is that a post-morten knife is a possibility and his particular theory was confirmed by the present pathologist of Whitechappel, Dr. Peter Deen on the show.

Comment

well put together programme,but i would have liked him to explain how Robert Mann could just walk in and out of the workhouse.Also pretty sure i read somewhere the police had to go to workhouse to tell him Polly Nichols body was waiting for him at the mortuary.
                          Also the age factor,i believe they could have touched on the fact no 'eye witness' had 'Jacks' age over 50.
                          But all in all enjoyed the programme even though imo RM is way way down the list

Dixon9
                          very much still learning

Comment

Unconvincing

Talk about forcing a theory into the facts. I thought the programme was guilty of some very misleading pronouncements, such as Tabrams body being found dead in the street (?) where Mann just thought to himself 'Oh here's a body I think I will mutilate to see if I get any thrill from it'

It was also not mentioned that Mann was one of two mortuary assistants from the Workhouse, the programme gave the distinct impression he was some sort of assistant to the doctor.

It also failed to mention that his evidence was dismissed as being unreliable possibly due to him being liable to 'fits'.

I just wish for once the programme makers would stick to the known facts and not alter everything to fit their pet theory.

To my mind any programme of this type has to include counter arguments, otherwise the viewing public is left with the distinct impression that what is shown is factual.

Comment

I watched the documentary last night.

Its always nice to see the name of a new suspect being unearthed but I would have hoped for something of a theory to accompany it. However, It seems to me that Mr Trow has just picked a person almost at random.

The basis of Mr Trow's postulation appears to be that Mann lived in the area and his work in the mortuary meant that he might have picked up some anatomical knowledge. For me there was nothing compelling about the case for naming Robert Mann.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice
                                I believe that's what Trow is saying. The bayonet killed her, and then Mann stabbed the body.
                                Originally posted by Trevor Marriott
                                Originally posted by scarletpimpernel View Post
                                About the bayonet. That is NOT what he is saying. What he contends is that a post-morten knife is a possibility and his particular theory was confirmed by the present pathologist of Whitechappel, Dr. Peter Deen on the show.
                                I haven't seen the documentary, but in one of the excerpts on the Discovery Channel website ( http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/vi...ipper-suspect/ ) Trow says precisely that he believes that Mann found the dead body of Martha Tabram - indicated to have been killed by a dagger or bayonet - and stabbed the corpse with a clasp knife.

The point is that the suggestion that the numerous stab wounds were inflicted post mortem is contrary to the contemporary medical evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X