Jacob Levy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All,

I have also just finished the game, which is good. It has its fault like everything else Ripper related, but it is absolutely worth the time I think. I also salutes the developers for choosing a lesser known subject with skilled logic surrounding their arguments. If notthing else it showed me how may overlooked Ripper candidats there might be out there.

Jacob Levy is certaintly interresting.

Best Regards,
    Ditlew
    My Personal JTR Map

Comment

Hi all,

Just the joined the forum. I too thought Jacob Levy to be a great suspect that fits the bill, my only problem is the time between MJK (assuming last Ripper killing) and Levy being incarcerated was 18 months - seems odd he would've laid low for that time, rather than continuing his killing spree. I'm convinced whoever did it was stopped shortly after Nov 1888.

Thanks
      S

Comment

Hi Goodensn, welcome,

I agree, that's a good point.
        Another is that Levy's case owes too much to speculations about the Mitre Square murder, and worse, to Joseph Levy's hazy ambiguity.

Amitiés,
        David

Comment

The problem with the Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper game was that there wasn't a climactic sword fight on Big Ben with Jacob Levy falling to his death. If you're going to combine fact and fiction it might as well be entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by goodensn View Post
            Hi all,

Just the joined the forum. I too thought Jacob Levy to be a great suspect that fits the bill, my only problem is the time between MJK (assuming last Ripper killing) and Levy being incarcerated was 18 months - seems odd he would've laid low for that time, rather than continuing his killing spree. I'm convinced whoever did it was stopped shortly after Nov 1888.

Thanks
            S
            Did anybody see the JTR show this weekend? It was only 30 minutes and it was on one of those odd channels. Maybe Investigation Discovery Channel or something. Anyway, their main suspect was Jacob Levy. And the investigator actually thought he did not commit the MJK murder. She thought he did the 4 canonical murders.

The reason she gave for him stopping the murders was his health. He died from complications from syphilis, and she explained that he likely was unable to continue after the 4th murder as his health, physical and mental, were probably too far gone after that. His mental condition from the syphilis was also used in supporting the assertion that he was JTR.

Unfortunately I don't remember everything, and I already deleted it off my Tivo. Maybe somebody else who saw it can comment. It was a new program. It said the original air date was 3/6/10. And I had never seen it before. And I have my Tivo record anything with Ripper in it automatically. I think I've seen most of them multiple times.

Anyway, it was a decent program. And that was the reason she gave for why the murders stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by goodensn View Post
              Hi all,

Thanks
              S
              Did anybody see the JTR show this weekend? It was only 30 minutes and it was on one of those odd channels. Maybe Investigation Discovery Channel or something. Anyway, their main suspect was Jacob Levy. And the investigator actually thought he did not commit the MJK murder. She thought he did the 4 canonical murders.

The reason she gave for him stopping the murders was his health. He died from complications from syphilis, and she explained that he likely was unable to continue after the 4th murder as his health, physical and mental, were probably too far gone after that. His mental condition from the syphilis was also used in supporting the assertion that he was JTR.

Unfortunately I don't remember everything, and I already deleted it off my Tivo. Maybe somebody else who saw it can comment. It was a new program. It said the original air date was 3/6/10. And I had never seen it before. And I have my Tivo record anything with Ripper in it automatically. I think I've seen most of them multiple times.

Anyway, it was a decent program. And that was the reason she gave for why the murders stopped.

Comment

Sorry for the double post. My browser locked up the first time and I didn't think it posted.

Comment

In all reality, Levy fits the bill for most likely being The Ripper than any other suspect, even more so than Cohen, imo.

The fact that he:

1. Contracted syphilis
                  2. Worked as a butcher
                  3. Was known for frequent outbursts and said to threaten people with violence that troubled his conscience.
                  4. Was involved with the police before (in 1887) for theft, and served a year of hard labor
                  5. Was known to be out all hours of the night, constantly "pacing around".

Psychologically, he fits the FBI profile to a T. Now we know of course profiles on offenders aren't always correct. But from a general consensus about what the Ripper could of been like, he falls into the age, weight, appearance group as well as that of what kind of job the Ripper could have held. Now the profile does state that the Ripper would not be married, which is not nessecarily true. The records show that his wife stated "He tried to ruin her business". Apparently Levy's actions and mental state of being not only a shrewd business man, but that of a contractor of syphilis therefore must have been entering the final stages of mania around the fall of 1888. I wouldn't be surprised either if the marriage was quarrelsome.

The issue about the hour gap between the murder of Eddowes, and the discovery of her apron can also be justified in this instance. Where Levy lived was right on the edge of the City/Metropolitan jurisdiction. He could have easily gone home after the murder, cleaned up, carrying just the cloth on him knowing inspections were going on of individuals about on the street, and dropped the cloth in the doorway of the Wentworth Dwellings. None of all this of course is proven, just food for thought.

Regards,
                  Justin
                  They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

hi, ive only posted once before i think a long time ago but my interest in JTR remains. Ive never been a supporter of the 'named' suspects as historically serial killers are inconspicous people that slip through the net due to their appearing so 'ordinary'

however for the past few days ive been more and more drawn to jacob levy, there is a lot to be said for his candidacy as JTR.

Something i was interested in was the fact that MJK's nose had been sliced off. A known symptom of syphalis is deteriation of the nose, i was wondering if this fact could provide some insight into the psychology behind the facial mutilations?

Does anyone have a link to any decent psycological therories on the mutilations perpetrated on the victims?

Comment

Working...
                    X