What Does Sadler Tell Us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Does Sadler Tell Us?

I’ve been rereading an essay by my friend John Hainsworth about M.J. Druitt and it has somehow got me rethinking the Sadler affair, and its potential importance in understanding the theories of Anderson, Macnaghten, and others.

It seems to me that Scotland Yard’s belief in Sadler’s guilt in the Coles and (possibly) Mackenzie cases (as indicated by the Macnaghten memo and Swanson’s protracted interest in the drunken sailor), might equate to a caveat in regards to the Druitt and Kozminski theories.

Let me explain.

If Scotland Yard deeply suspected Sadler of having killed Mckenzie and Coles (and some senior officials apparently suspected this) it would put them in an awkward position legally.

Prosecutors fear one thing: alternative theories.

Yet, any potential prosecution of Sadler for the Coles and Mackenzie cases would be on dangerous footing as long as there was still a theoretical murderer on the loose called “Jack the Ripper.”

Why? Because Sadler’s defense team would be able to quickly prove that Sadler was NOT ‘Jack the Ripper'---for the simple reason that he was in the Mediterranean in the Autumn of 1888.

Thus, after 1891, the ghost of Jack the Ripper had to be ‘laid to rest,’ in order to successfully implicate Sadler in the latter crimes. On an emotional level if nothing else.

And lo, both the Kozminski and Druitt theories seem to have risen, spectre like, out of the events of 1891. Indeed, the timing has always struck me as oddly fortuitous.

So, in brief, the Sadler affair not only put Scotland Yard into a position of having to come up with a credible solution to the crimes of 1888 , but a solution wherein the suspect would have been necessarily unavailable to have committed the attacks on Mackenzie and Coles----if not, the Sadler defenders had a very credible ‘alternative theory’ at their immediate disposal: namely, don’t even think of pinning these crimes on our bloke, you lot, for it was surely Jack the Ripper still roaming the streets of East London.

Of course, I’m overstating the principle for rhetorical effect, but the belief in Sadler’s guilt could have been a conscious (or subconscious or merely emotional) factor in the subsequent rise of the Druitt theory. Less so with Kozminski.

Or so I theorize.

RP
    Last edited by rjpalmer; 02-05-2009, 03:11 AM.

Roger,

As ever, a thought-provoking post. But, taking into account Jonathan's Hainsworth argument in regard to serving up one of his own, might Macnaghten not have found someone other than Druitt? In a way saying that Kosminski and Druitt were strawmen to aid a possible prosection of Sadler stengthens Jonathan's argument that by naming Druitt at all Macnaghten likely had some real believe it was Druitt.

In any case, your post is worthy of real discussion instead of, say, a poll on Lewis Carroll's suspect validity. O tempores, o mores.

Don.
    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

The recent Rip article moves us closer to understanding how Druitt came to be named. And Scott, I have read your essays with great interest. Just wish you would post more with your input.

But Sadler?

MacMemo was written for a reason - to refute the Sun articles on Cutbush. I fail to see how Sadler matters as per those named in the memo.

Roy
      Sink the Bismark

Comment

Hi all,

One more try at some worthwhile discussion before another fool (who evidently doesn't even know Roslyn D'Onston is Stephenson) comes along with some silly number-juumbo.

Anyway, Jonathan Hainsworth wrote a thought-provoking piece on the latrst issue of Ripperologist (January 2009) on Macnaghten naming Druitt as one of his three suspects and, above, Roger Palmer has made a similarly thought-provoking post about the possible implications of Sadler's arrest on Macnaghten's revelations.

Comments really would be welcomed and might be a palliative to some of the nonsense now rife across the boards.

Anyone?

Don.
        "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
          I’ve been rereading an essay by my friend John Hainsworth about M.J. Druitt and it has somehow got me rethinking the Sadler affair, and its potential importance in understanding the theories of Anderson, Macnaghten, and others.

It seems to me that Scotland Yard’s belief in Sadler’s guilt in the Coles and (possibly) Mackenzie cases (as indicated by the Macnaghten memo and Swanson’s protracted interest in the drunken sailor), might equate to a caveat in regards to the Druitt and Kozminski theories.

Let me explain.

If Scotland Yard deeply suspected Sadler of having killed Mckenzie and Coles (and some senior officials apparently suspected this) it would put them in an awkward position legally.

Prosecutors fear one thing: alternative theories.

Yet, any potential prosecution of Sadler for the Coles and Mackenzie cases would be on dangerous footing as long as there was still a theoretical murderer on the loose called “Jack the Ripper.”

Why? Because Sadler’s defense team would be able to quickly prove that Sadler was NOT ‘Jack the Ripper'---for the simple reason that he was in the Mediterranean in the Autumn of 1888.

Thus, after 1891, the ghost of Jack the Ripper had to be ‘laid to rest,’ in order to successfully implicate Sadler in the latter crimes. On an emotional level if nothing else.

And lo, both the Kozminski and Druitt theories seem to have risen, spectre like, out of the events of 1891. Indeed, the timing has always struck me as oddly fortuitous.

So, in brief, the Sadler affair not only put Scotland Yard into a position of having to come up with a credible solution to the crimes of 1888 , but a solution wherein the suspect would have been necessarily unavailable to have committed the attacks on Mackenzie and Coles----if not, the Sadler defenders had a very credible ‘alternative theory’ at their immediate disposal: namely, don’t even think of pinning these crimes on our bloke, you lot, for it was surely Jack the Ripper still roaming the streets of East London.

Of course, I’m overstating the principle for rhetorical effect, but the belief in Sadler’s guilt could have been a conscious (or subconscious or merely emotional) factor in the subsequent rise of the Druitt theory. Less so with Kozminski.

Or so I theorize.

RP
          Thats a nicely woven bit of conjecture RJ.....I did want to understand one point you make. The circumstantial links to the Ripper cases that McKenzie and Coles presented were refuted by Bond for one, at that same point in time. Which to me means the authorities could differentiate by professional opinion those later crimes from the ones in the Fall of 88 if it came to prosecuting Sadler...which could negate the value of his Fall 88 alibi.

Did I err on some point there, or how do you reconcile it if not?

Cheers RJ...all the best.

Comment

Sorry RJ, I must have misread the post at first...your premise does use the position I mentioned.

I guess that means nap time... Cheers RJ

Comment

Working...
            X