Dennis Rader and Thomas Cutbush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ally View Post
    While anything might be possible, when killers who previously have displayed the kind of cool rationale that allows them to be serial killers suddenly stop betraying that cool, and go on an orgy of madness, they don't limit themselves to a little stick with a knife. Bundy did a spree because he knew he was going to be caught, but he definitely was not the "hearing voices" insane type.

The hearing voices insane type are generally not, in my opinion, the type who would have committed the whitechapel five and then years later, gone about poking women in the butt. While killers might not always be in control of their "free will", serial killers are not impulse driven, unable to control themselves except in popular myth. They stalk, they select and they abandon when there is a risk of exposure. Serial killers are not deluded, hearing voices, non-functional wrecks. Thomas Cutbush by all accounts was. And I will never be able to give credence to the idea that the "voices" in his head first tell him to slaughter a half a dozen people, then years later, say, eh, let's just give them a stick in the backside completely without treatment or intervention, instead of devolving, he manages to evolve from brutal destruction to mild damage?

So no, his candidature is weakened by the crimes that got him committed, not strengthened.
    Ally, you're making some really bold assumptions here..who said we have to associate the 'loss of free will', 'deluded' and 'hearing voices' with 'impulse driven' and 'non-functional'. My contention is that there is every possibility that Cutbush qualified for the 3 former ,at the time of the C5, but that does not lead necessarily and naturally to the 2 latter, I'd say those were assumptive associations of your own, which myths fail to recognise the real potential for different phases of behaviour as well as differing levels of functionality in the schizophrenic sufferer.

If, and I admit it's a big 'if' Cutbush was 'driven' by voices directing him on the lines of some kind of old testament ritualistic slaughter , it doesn't mean he was also incapable of the facility to 'stalk, select and abandon'.

You are no doubt absoloutely correct in your summary of the psychology of 'most' SK's, but I think it is worth considering the even stranger possibilities of genuine potential paranoid schizophrenics..as I suspect Cutbush was. I've Known a few ,Ally, and they are for parts of their lives far from the disfunctional wrecks you describe, though many or most do ultimately qualify for that description. There is no reason to believe the same is not the case with Cutbush too, if the figure described in The Sun is in any part to be trusted..which no doubt you won't/don't.!?

The point I was responding to when I agreed with you was that a possible 'lack of free will' suggested by your 'not wrapped well enough' strengthened his candidature ,as this seemed to me to well account for a de-escalated behaviour pattern. It's not a point about the crimes themselves,for which he was committed, which in themselves do not strengthen/ weaken his candidature one way or the other imo...

I notice your qualifications, Ally.And I respect your point of view. Thanks for trying to keep an open mind..hopefully more will unravel on Cutbush in the coming months!?

WK

Comment

Yes but Li, like Cutbush displayed clear signs of being psychotic and as evidenced by the people who commit crimes while under its influence, they lack the ability to thoroughly or carefully conceal their crimes. The mere fact that he was clearly psychotic means he wouldn't have gone on to kill more--he lacked the ability to successfully get away with multiple killings and remain undected. While serial killers are psychopathic, you'd be hard pressed to find a true serial killer who fell into the category of psychotic who wasn't more accurately defined as a spree killer. Psychosis makes for a poor serial killer.

Let all Oz be agreed;
      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

White Knight,

I don't have an open mind. I don't think Cutbush did it. He was a loon. He wasn't JtR.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
          White Knight,

I don't have an open mind. I don't think Cutbush did it. He was a loon. He wasn't JtR.
          Thank goodness, we can now all accept JTR was definitely a clever loon ,not like Cutbush, and will never be traced. It must be so because Ally said so and she knows all about 'loons'.

WK.
          Last edited by White-Knight; 01-18-2009, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Yes, I've dealt with enough of you on the message boards that I ought to have an honorary degree.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Don't mess with Ally W/K !!!!!! She is one class act!
              'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                Don't mess with Ally W/K !!!!!! She is one class act!
                oh you reckon, do you!? mmm..

It's not THAT classy to find everything implausible except the vague possibility that the earth travels around the sun once a year.

Anyway, what's she going to do, work herself into a frenzy of bile as usual?

yawn!

W.K.
                Last edited by White-Knight; 01-19-2009, 04:24 AM.

Comment

White Knight,

Just an observation: you are well out of your weight class.

Don.
                  "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                    White Knight,

Just an observation: you are well out of your weight class.

Don.
                    yeah I know, Don. I'm cruising for a bruising. Thing is, I'm just not that impressed or bothered as a lot of you seem to be and I don't like tip-toe.

Anyway I'm off the boards now, probably for some months, for personal reasons. Thanks to all who've talked to me over the last few weeks!

Bye!

WK.

Comment

I don't know guys, I might be dethroned someday but it's not going to be by a guy who argues this poorly. I mean come on, a guy whose reasoning skills are so lacking he equates a classy person with their belief system? This is going to be my challenger? I suppose in the jumbled world of those who "want to believe" you are only classy if you suspend logic.

Here's a better definition of class:

Classy: Arguing the points presented in your opponents argument, and sticking to the subjects that they raise.

Lack of class: pulling in ridiculous insults borrowed from a teenager and calling that bravery.

I think I prefer smacking around the teenager. At least he has an excuse for his stupidity.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Hi guys 'n' gals.

I'm afraid I have to go along with everything that Ally says here.

Looking at it in a simple and uncomplicated way, I just can't imagine that a guy who committed the horrendous crimes of Jack the Ripper, would thereafter content himself with jabbing a few girls' backsides with a knife. As far as I'm concerned, Cutbush was just a plain loony, but a no-hoper as a Ripper candidate.

Best regards
                        DYLAN

Comment

Working...
                        X