Jack the........ Police Officer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jason,

even at the height of the Ripper scare, quite a few of the East End prostitutes of the 1880s couldn't afford being particular about their clients, regardless wether they felt comfortable with them or not. While this does not (and is not meant to) refute the Jack the Copper theory as a whole, it just relativizes the pro argument that a policeman would have had considerably less difficulties in approaching or accosting these women.

What's more, a policeman on the beat may have been a slightly more welcome sight while the Ripper was about in the East End but on the whole, street walkers and coppers probably were not on the best of terms. I may be wrong here, though.

Regards,

Boris
    ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

Though I don't dispute that a cop as killer theory has its flaws, such as the ones that Monty mentioned, I don't think it is outlandish. The Ripper (if we go by the can. 5) wasn't in action that long. We assume that he got locked up for something else, or that he had a breakdown, but the idea of a cop being suspected by another and taken off the force for observation, does have its merits. Couple that with hush-ups and conspiracies and the game is on.

Cheers,

Mike
      huh?

Comment

Contrary to popular belief, there need not be a conspiracy or a cover-up at every turn in the JTR case. Infact, the opposite, being the most simple solution is usually the correct one. And Jack the police officer is far from being the simplest theory.

As I said before, there were police officers living next to, or on their beat going past the murder sites within minutes of the killing. Officers who actually witnessed a man with the victim. Now if this was one of their comrades from the force, surely they would be recognised! It's going to look more than a little suspect if PC Smith sees his mate talking to a woman who is found dead less than half an hour later, isn't it?

That's assuming he wasn't in uniform. If he was in uniform, he would have stood out like the proverbial "dunny in the desert", should he be caught out with any of these women. Not to mention that he was probably still supposed to be on the beat somewhere and would have to go back to work with blood splattered on him and a bloody knife hidden somewhere beneath his clothing....or, in a couple of cases, an organ or 2 and and a piece of clothing as well.

No, i'm afraid it's not really a plausible, practical theory - an interesting one, which would provide some good explanations, and a good one for the conspiracists - but not a likely one.

Cheers,
        Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
          Officers who actually witnessed a man with the victim. Now if this was one of their comrades from the force, surely they would be recognised! It's going to look more than a little suspect if PC Smith sees his mate talking to a woman who is found dead less than half an hour later, isn't it?
          That's wherein the possibility I mentioned lies. One cop putting two and two together- the policeman being questioned - the discovery that something isn't right with him. No proof, just suspicion enough to pull him off the force. Then... who knows. It isn't as bad as many other concepts is all I suggest.

Mike
          huh?

Comment

Michael:

Ah, but the PC Smith sighting took place at the Elizabeth Stride murder - the PC in Mitre Square was asleep in his home and there's no mention of any other police witness sightings.

If that was the case, they would know there was something more wrong with him than just being a little strange - and would surely have done more than just remove him from the force. In any case, what of the MJK murder? Was he simply allowed to go free to commit that sort of brutality as well?

Not to mention that the variety of suspects named by officers years, decades even after the case, shows that they had no real clue who the man was - and evidently not one of their own.

Cheers,
            Adam.

Comment

Hi. I have said this from the VERY beginning that Jack was a police officer or a patrol man of some sort. As someone mentioned before, it would indeed answer a whole lot of questions.

Im not sure if these questions have been asked while I was away for almost a year but here goes:

A) IF, the police caught or claim to have known JTR's identity then why no big announcement? I mean the police had been crucified by the press all throughout the case. Why not use the knowledge of knowing who JTR was as a means of public vindication? 3 possibilities come to mind.

1. The Royal theory was true. Obvious why they may want to keep quiet. But I never really believed this but at this point anything is possible till we know the truth.

2. He was a jew. Again imagine the reaction in the streets of a public already on edge.

3. He was a police officer. How embarrassing would that be. Losing the public trust would be very very bad.

B) Out of ALL of the suspects/theories to date can anyone name me any suspect who could be standing next to or around a ripper victim in the middle of the night and NOT be suspected? Even a Jill the ripper would come under some suspicion. Right? A police man could easily say, "I just discovered this body. Sound the alert."

The police theory has holes, yes. I continue to work to fill those holes.
              Im just a guy with a flashlight and an open mind looking for answers. Before I do, I need to find the questions first.

Comment

Hello you all!

Well, the first time I heard about Jack the Ripper was back in the 1970s, while the British police was chasing the Yorkshire Ripper.

I read briefly and superficially about it at the time. Then my first thought was. "He must have been a policeman!"

All the best
                Jukka
                "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Why not tall enough

Originally posted by nugnug View Post
                  from all the eye witness accounts jack could not have bee a policeman
                  he wasnt tall inof
                  Was there a height requirement for policemen? I don't recall seeing one anywhere

Comment

Not sure about the Met (will keep looking) but according to "I Spy Blue" the City Police had to be 5 feet 7 inches without shoes...this was in the 1850s...

All the best

Dave

Comment

I think in the Met there was a 5 ft 10inch lowest height restriction during the LVP, but it really needs someone like Neil or Colin to give an authoritative answer!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Started at 5'7", raised to 5'11" but dropped to 5'9" by 1888, with 5'10" also being used.

The alterations was due to the fact they wanted imposing men however not many 5'11" were applying.

Monty
                        Last edited by Monty; 10-12-2013, 08:43 AM.
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

It is tempting to try and make our killer have super human powers or maybe be a master of disguise so to explain why he was never seen or caught.When you take into account the area where these murders occurred it is quite possible that some one did see him at it and never reported it.
                          Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Thanks Neil

Dave

Comment

If he was well known to the women of the area , then his face may well have been trusted . It also stands to reason that he may have well been recognisable in his civilian clothes . No one is saying he slayed them in his uniform.

Comment

Hi,
                                I would say we are clutching at straws suggesting that the killer was a police officer with or without uniform.
                                Over the years we have all suggested types of professions, from the obvious a doctor, to a person of trust a priest, or a policeman, even a female confidant .
                                simply because we have no idea who the assailant was .
                                Sooner or later[ hopefully] we may have a lead to who the culprit was, and what profession he was in , then we won't have to speculate.
                                How much trust do you have to obtain, to attack a feeble woman suddenly?
                                Regards Richard.

Comment

Working...
                                X