Butchers.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butchers.......

Just out of interest is it known how many butchers there were in Whitechapel - Bethnal Green in 1888 and did the police speak to every one of them?

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
    Just out of interest is it known how many butchers there were in Whitechapel - Bethnal Green in 1888 and did the police speak to every one of them?
    Swanson, as part of his Oct. 19th report to the Home Office listed as investigate: "Slaughtermen, in Aldgate, Whitechapel & neighbourhood". Which was detailed out as follows:
    "Seventy six Butchers & Slaughterers have been visited & the characters of the men employed enquired into. This embraces all servants who had been employed for the past six months".
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
      Swanson, as part of his Oct. 19th report to the Home Office listed as investigate: "Slaughtermen, in Aldgate, Whitechapel & neighbourhood". Which was detailed out as follows:
      "Seventy six Butchers & Slaughterers have been visited & the characters of the men employed enquired into. This embraces all servants who had been employed for the past six months".

Thanks Wickerman, that is very interesting!!

76, I assume then that all butchers were regulated and you couldn't just set up a butchers wherever you liked, without the authorities being aware?
      Last edited by The Station Cat; 04-09-2018, 01:06 AM.

Comment

What i find interesting about the Swanson report [Thanks Wick ], is, [ I am assuming it was the City Police who investigated the Slaughtermen in Aldgate], could this be the first time the Butcher's row suspect, as described by Robert Sagar, came to the attention of the police ?

Comment

Originally posted by Darryl Kenyon View Post
          What i find interesting about the Swanson report [Thanks Wick ], is, [ I am assuming it was the City Police who investigated the Slaughtermen in Aldgate], could this be the first time the Butcher's row suspect, as described by Robert Sagar, came to the attention of the police ?
          Hi Darryl,

I believe Met police were and are able to operate in City territory, and vice versa.

Comment

I believe Met police were and are able to operate in City territory, and vice versa.
            Thank you for the reply. Following on from that. Do you know [ or anyone else ], if the met [ or vice versa ] could have jurisdiction over City territory to arrest, question or search a suspects property ?. Without having to go through the channels of informing the City Police, or getting a warrant off them to do it first. Or would the onus fall on the City police to arrest etc the suspect. I am thinking here particularly of a scenario involving Kosminski .

Comment

We read that Det. McWilliams, on arriving at Mitre Square sent several officers throughout Spitalfields to search the streets and lodginghouses.
              This action alone tends to suggest the City police had powers of arrest in the Metropolitan area.
              There would be a special relationship between the City & the Met. given their close proximity, it would be totally impractical for either force to limit powers of search & arrest to the other force.
              They have to work together, and by many accounts they did so admirably.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                Thanks Wickerman, that is very interesting!!

76, I assume then that all butchers were regulated and you couldn't just set up a butchers wherever you liked, without the authorities being aware?
                I'm not sure what you mean by "regulated". I expect they had to obtain a licence, and the municipality will make sure they pay the required taxes.
                That said, who knows what illicit businesses operated in the dingy cellars across the East end.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Thanks everyone, all very interesting stuff.

I wonder if I might take this one stage further and ask if anyone can help me identify a premises location for a Bethnal Green butcher called James GALLEY? I know James married a Bethnal Green girl Sarah Elizabeth ALLENSBY (born 1867 - Bethnal Green), on the 30th March 1890.

I'm curious to know whether he indeed had a butchers shop in the area, during the time of Jack?

...............and no I'm not trying to come up with another tenuous Ripper suspect

It would also be interesting to know where the ALLENSBY's lived to see if they may have been questioned by police as potential witnesses, following Polly's murder?

Comment

Station Cat
                    In the 1891 census james galley butcher age 31 born essex is living with wife sarah age 24 and less than year old daughter maud at derbyshire st, bethnal green.

sorry my caps are playing up.

miss marple

Comment

So far can't find the Allensbys in 91 census. In 81, they were living in norfolk st, bethnal green. father benjamin 40 a carman, wife susannah 39 a laundress daughters sarah age 14 a boot finisher sister susannah 9

miss marple

Comment

Working...
                      X