Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local killer for local people................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local killer for local people................

All the victims were killed in a relatively small area. It is suspected that the killer was from the area or knew the area well. I'm curious to know out of all the suspects put forward how many of them where actually known to live in this area.

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
    All the victims were killed in a relatively small area. It is suspected that the killer was from the area or knew the area well. I'm curious to know out of all the suspects put forward how many of them where actually known to live in this area.
    WH Bury lived just outside the area in Bow well a horse and cart away which he owned. Bury was also known to meet prostitutes. It has been suggested by some that the killer may have killed in an area slightly away from his home which would put Bury clearly in the frame. Also it's worth noting there were incidents involving a knife wielding maniac closer to Bury's home before the canons.

Comment

I suspect Jack was local and annoymous, thats why he has never been found. Serial killers need a base, whether a house or an area. Before motorised transport, the idea that serial killers travelled from abroad or all parts of England [ some suspect ideas] just to kill in the East End seems ridiculous. Serial killers have a 'comfort zone'

Miss Marple

Comment

Whilst I expect he had extensive experience local knowledge (and thus probably a local) I place little credence in profiling.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

How local is 'local?' Theorists have posited that he had to live in Whitechapel to be familiar with the labyrinthine streets and escape routes, but he could've lived on the outskirts or frequented Whitechapel enough to know the area.

Comment

Hi Cat

We can put several of thosesuggested as local, while Bury is not immediately local he is still very close by.
            In addition Kosminski, Levy and Lechmere are all local .

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
              WH Bury lived just outside the area in Bow well a horse and cart away which he owned. Bury was also known to meet prostitutes. It has been suggested by some that the killer may have killed in an area slightly away from his home which would put Bury clearly in the frame. Also it's worth noting there were incidents involving a knife wielding maniac closer to Bury's home before the canons.

Interesting concept. I agree Bow is not very far from Whitechapel and a good a place as any for "Jack" to have been based.

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                I suspect Jack was local and annoymous, thats why he has never been found. Serial killers need a base, whether a house or an area. Before motorised transport, the idea that serial killers travelled from abroad or all parts of England [ some suspect ideas] just to kill in the East End seems ridiculous. Serial killers have a 'comfort zone'

Miss Marple
                I'm inclined to agree with you MM, the notion that he traveled vast distances to commit his acts does seem a little odd to me. I firmly believe that he was someone "local".

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                  Hi Cat

We can put several of thosesuggested as local, while Bury is not immediately local he is still very close by.
                  In addition Kosminski, Levy and Lechmere are all local .

Steve

Clearly no shortage of local suspects then.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                    How local is 'local?' Theorists have posited that he had to live in Whitechapel to be familiar with the labyrinthine streets and escape routes, but he could've lived on the outskirts or frequented Whitechapel enough to know the area.
                    Certainly very interesting and beggars the question did he choose the location first and just await a victim or did he pick the victim first and seem which location they ended up in?

In Tom Wescott's book he makes a very compelling argument that "Jack" was mooching around Bucks Row well before he met Polly......

Comment

Clearly no shortage of local suspects then.
                      None at all.

Add in Hutchinson, Thompson theclist goes on and on

Steve

Comment

Certainly very interesting and beggars the question did he choose the location first and just await a victim or did he pick the victim first and seem which location they ended up in?

In Tom Wescott's book he makes a very compelling argument that "Jack" was mooching around Bucks Row well before he met Polly......
                        If Nichols was soliciting, wouldn't she be more inclined to do it along Whitechapel Road, rather than a backstreet? Buck's Row was most likely where she went after picking up a punter, who was almost certainly her killer. I can't imagine her hanging around there long once the deal was done.

Comment

One thinng one does need to remember is that central London is small.
                          Covent Garden which many would say is West End is only a 15/20 minute brisk walk away from Whitechapel. Almost a straight road from Tralfalgar square, which incidentally is where one poster has previously suggested his unnamed suspect rented a room.

And of course when we say local do we just mean those who lived local? What about those working local? Cutbush fits that.

Was the killer local?

Very probabily, but traveling a relatively short distance should not be discounted.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                            If Nichols was soliciting, wouldn't she be more inclined to do it along Whitechapel Road, rather than a backstreet? Buck's Row was most likely where she went after picking up a punter, who was almost certainly her killer. I can't imagine her hanging around there long once the deal was done.
                            Very good point and well made!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                              One thinng one does need to remember is that central London is small.
                              Covent Garden which many would say is West End is only a 15/20 minute brisk walk away from Whitechapel. Almost a straight road from Tralfalgar square, which incidentally is where one poster has previously suggested his unnamed suspect rented a room.

And of course when we say local do we just mean those who lived local? What about those working local? Cutbush fits that.

Was the killer local?

Very probabily, but traveling a relatively short distance should not be discounted.

Steve

Another very good point!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X