Favoured Suspects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
    So the credibility of potential witnesses re their lack of English and changing details was never considered a problem? It may well have been then that the woman and man (BS man) having the quarrel at Dutfield's Yard were traced or came forward, and it had nothing to do with Stride's murder at all.

There's no evidence that Schwartz had changed his story. And no, his inability to speak English would not prevent him from identifying a suspect. In fact, at least two people were put in front of Schwartz in the days following the murder, according to the press. If a couple came forward it must have been at least a month after the murder occurred because there are reports from Abberline regarding Schwartz up to Nov. 1st.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Well, it may have been the Star reporter changing things, who knows, but in the Star report of October 1st there are at least two fairly significant details that are changed in Schwartz's account.

For instance, Pipe man now has a knife in his hand, not a pipe (or in addition to a pipe.) As well, Schwartz states that the second man, not BS man, shouts out a warning. No mention of 'Lipski'. He also says in this interview that the second man had a red moustache. No mention of knives or red moustaches or of warnings from the second man in Schwartz's police statement.

Because of Schwartz's bad English he would have been accompanied by interpreters every time he spoke to Englishmen about the incident and different interpreters sometimes express what people are saying in different ways, though they don't usually change significant details.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
        So the credibility of potential witnesses re their lack of English and changing details was never considered a problem? It may well have been then that the woman and man (BS man) having the quarrel at Dutfield's Yard were traced or came forward, and it had nothing to do with Stride's murder at all.
        Thats a very distinct possibility.

Comment

Hello Rosella,

>>It may well have been then that the woman and man (BS man) having the quarrel at Dutfield's Yard were traced ...<<

Could have been this guy, arrested on 9th Oct ...
          Attached Files
          dustymiller
          aka drstrange

Comment

Thanks for the report, Dusty. This man obviously because of the bloodstained clothing became 'a person of interest' as we would say, and the police could well have asked Schwartz to look him over, though whether he would have actually got bloodied from pushing the woman at Durfields Yard on to the ground is debatable.

Comment

Dusty, you post good finds. Unfortunately, you rarely source them.

Schwartz probably was shown this man but he must have not recognized him. If either BS Man or Pipeman had been identified by Oct. 19th, Donald Swanson would have known about it and would have mentioned it in his report of that date. Had either been identified by Nov. 1st, I believe Abberline would have mentioned it in his follow up report or Swanson would have included it. This is unless the operative theory is that they intentionally withheld information from both Home Office and the coroner.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hello Tom,

The it's a syndicated report, appearing word for word in various papers.
                The one I clipped was from the Evening Stanard.

>>I believe Abberline would have mentioned it in his follow up report ...<<

D'accord!

(I’m currently watching a French zombie show)
                dustymiller
                aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                  Swanson's feeling (as of Oct. 19th) was that Lawende is the person most likely to have seen the Ripper, but did not get good enough a view of him.
                  Which flies in the face of Anderson’s contention (supported inferentially by Swanson) that the Seaside Home witness identified a suspect (Kosminski) without hesitation.

Schwartz got a much better view, but because of the lapse of time (15 minutes) it couldn't be assumed he'd seen her killer. Therefore, neither of these witnesses could have led to a conviction without other evidence or a confession.
                  Schwartz saw a soon to be murdered woman, Tom, being assaulted within feet of the spot on which her body was discovered fifteen minutes later. According to Dr Blackwell death occurred between 12-46 and 12-56am. This death, moreover, was relatively slow rather than instantaneous. This being the case, the possibility that Schwartz witnessed the initial stage of an attack that resulted in Stride’s death cannot have been lost on investigators.

In terms of the likelihood of a conviction on such evidence, Swanson was a vastly experienced policeman who stated that the identification would in itself have been sufficient to have hung Kosminski. Read up on some of the trials of the period, Tom, and you’ll discover that certain defendants were convicted on nothing more than bad character. As such, I wouldn’t readily dismiss Swanson’s words.

I agree there's no evidence (such as a statement) after Nov. 1st to the effect that Schwartz was no longer believed. I just think it's odd there's no statement to the effect that he was still believed. Plenty about Lawende, zero about Schwartz. It's perplexing.
                  Agreed, Tom. That said, Lawende cannot have been the witness who identified Kosminski on behalf of the Met. Had he done so Major Smith would have been aware of it and would almost certainly have questioned how Lawende was able to make an unequivocal identification at the Seaside Home having failed to identify the same man during the City’s earlier investigation. That would have made Lawende a dubious witness, and yet Smith clearly viewed him in the most positive of terms. With Lawende out of the equation we’re left with Schwartz as Anderson’s mystery Jewish witness. There really is no-one else. So whereas I share your frustration regarding the lack of official Schwartz-related documentation, I nonetheless incline to the view that he continued to be an important witness as far as investigators were concerned.

Comment

Working...
                  X