Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does Joseph Fleming fit into the equation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DVV View Post
    One ascertained fact is that the first man who has seriously suggested that Hutch could be Fleming was called Gareth/Sam Flynn ; and he was, as everybody recalls, a complete nuts.

Not nuts enough, though, to entertain the idea that Kosminski would have possessed good medical knowledge.
    No one suggested Kosminski had good medical knowledge, They suggested that if he had been a feldscher in Poland, he would have possessed knowledge. I don't believe anyone proved such a thing. As for Gareth, he speculated about Hutch and then after the signatures, the irrefutable proof that was needed, he realized Toppy was in the clear.

Mike
    huh?

Comment

The way our great duettists are jumping at every thing that concerns Joseph Fleming is truly impressive.

Mike : Nuts !

Fish (30 seconds later) : Oh yes, Mike ! Nuts !
      Well, for my part, Iīd say that it is only parts of what is said about Fleming that is nuts. Not everything, not by any stretch!

All the best,
      Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
        Mmm - he suggested it, and then he took a look at how it tallied with the facts. And guess where he ended up?
        Fisherman
        Fish, you cannot say so.
        Sam believes the signatures match, that's all.
        But the reasons for which he suggested Fleming was Hutch are still valid for those who think the signatures don't match.

Cheers

Comment

Fish, you cannot say so.
          Sam believes the signatures match, that's all.
          But the reasons for which he suggested Fleming was Hutch are still valid for those who think the signatures don't match.

Cheers
          "For those who think that the signatures ..." - I see - well, then Iīm out.

Fisherman

Comment

• For the record, I CAN say that Sam ended up feeling absolutely certain that good old Toppy was Hutchinson the witness. He did not have a scintilla of a doubt, actually.

Fisherman

Comment

Well, for my part, Iīd say that it is only parts of what is said about Fleming that is nuts. Not everything, not by any stretch!

All the best,
              Fisherman
              Good to hear, Fish.
              Can we have a constructive discussion about Fleming's candidacy, then ?
              Without "nuts", and accepting, at least for the sake of discussion, that his recorded height could be a mistake ?

Cheers

Comment

Good to hear, Fish.
                Without "nuts", and accepting, at least for the sake of discussion, that his recorded height could be a mistake ?
                Could be a mistake, of course. People make mistakes all the time. Likely? I want proof.

Mike
                huh?

Comment

Good to hear, Fish.

Cheers
                  Two things, David.

1. Go back on the thread and read my posts. You will find that I have already - numerous times - made it very clear that my stance is that it may or may not have been a mistake, but as long as we have the standing record from the asylum, this takes precedence.

2. Why should I be mindful not to hurt your feelings, seeing as you have not spent much effort trying not to hurt mine? I seem to remember you speaking about how laughable my stance is ...? Som man ropar i skogen får man svar, as we Swedes say. And live by.

The Flemchinson theory is - at best - a very scrappy concoction, undermined totally by the very closely matching signatures of Hutchinson the witness and Toppy.
                  I could put it that way, or I could call it nuts. In the end, it amounts to the exact same thing.

The best,
                  Fisherman

Comment

• The signatures, again and again.

There is a thread for them.

Cheers

Comment

Two things, David.

1. Go back on the thread and read my posts. You will find that I have already - numerous times - made it very clear that my stance is that it may or may not have been a mistake, but as long as we have the standing record from the asylum, this takes precedence.

Fisherman
                      It certainly doesn't take precedence, given that :

1 : Mistakes are not uncommon

2 : There is an uncorrected mistake on the same page

3 : 6'7 is far too tall

4 : 11st is far too light

5 : Nobody seems to have seen Fleming-the-Giant, and nobody seems to have heard about Mjk's ex giant.

Comment

It certainly doesn't take precedence, given that :

1 : Mistakes are not uncommon

2 : There is an uncorrected mistake on the same page

3 : 6'7 is far too tall

4 : 11st is far too light

5 : Nobody seems to have seen Fleming-the-Giant, and nobody seems to have heard about Mjk's ex giant.
                        1. Mistakes happen, but the overwhelming majority of asylum records are correct. So this does not alter the fact that the record takes precedence over wishful thinking.

2. ... and lo and behold, everybody recognizes this, since there are OTHER records that tell us that the record in question is wrong. If there had been any other records of his height telling us that it was wrong too, then we would all adjust to that. But there is not, which is why rule one steps in again: The overwhelming majority of the records are correct, and the record takes precedence over wishful thinking. Yet again.

3. 6 ft 7 is only too tall for those who are not that tall. For those who ARE that tall, it is not too tall. So itīs record precedence again.

4. Same thing goes for the weight. The world has seen a number of skinny people since day one. Record 4 - Wishful thinking 0.

5. I fail to believe that he was invisible. I think thousands and thousands of people saw him, almost all of them reacting to his height. I also think many people heard about his height - but I also think that some of them only heard that he was "very tall" or something to that effect.
                        Record 5 - Wishful thinking 0.

How many times do you want your revisionist picture of a thin, tall man crushed, David? 6 ft 7, 11 st 8 lb. Itīs in the records.
                        What do you think people will say about the records of Peter Crouch when they look at them in the future? "This must be wrong"? "He cannot have played professional soccer, he must have been very sickly with that BMI"? "We can safely conclude that this man was in fact 67 INCHES high, meaning that he was in truth 5 ft 7 - now we can all see that his weight tallies with his height"?

Flemings weight and height are in the records. It is unusual, but not anywhere near impossible. And as long as it is not, the simple truth is that the record prevails, completely regardless of what you may think about it, and completely regardless of whatever outlandish claim you make about how sickly a freak he was. He has gone down in history as 6 ft 7, weighing around 11 to 12 stone and being of good bodily health. That is what we must deal with - and I donīt mean deal with by means of a saw.

The best,
                        Fisherman

Comment

• What are the chances Fleming was 6'7"? What are the chances that of all people in all asylums in all of Britain, the one record that pertains to a theoretical suspect was wrong? These are great questions with long odds. That's what I think.

Mike
                          huh?

Comment

1. Mistakes happen, but the overwhelming majority of asylum records are correct. So this does not alter the fact that the record takes precedence over wishful thinking.

2. ... and lo and behold, everybody recognizes this, since there are OTHER records that tell us that the record in question is wrong. If there had been any other records of his height telling us that it was wrong too, then we would all adjust to that. But there is not, which is why rule one steps in again: The overwhelming majority of the records are correct, and the record takes precedence over wishful thinking. Yet again.

3. 6 ft 7 is only too tall for those who are not that tall. For those who ARE that tall, it is not too tall. So itīs record precedence again.

4. Same thing goes for the weight. The world has seen a number of skinny people since day one. Record 4 - Wishful thinking 0.

5. I fail to believe that he was invisible. I think thousands and thousands of people saw him, almost all of them reacting to his height. I also think many people heard about his height - but I also think that some of them only heard that he was "very tall" or something to that effect.
                            Record 5 - Wishful thinking 0.

How many times do you want your revisionist picture of a thin, tall man crushed, David? 6 ft 7, 11 st 8 lb. Itīs in the records.
                            What do you think people will say about the records of Peter Crouch when they look at them in the future? "This must be wrong"? "He cannot have played professional soccer, he must have been very sickly with that BMI"? "We can safely conclude that this man was in fact 67 INCHES high, meaning that he was in truth 5 ft 7 - now we can all see that his weight tallies with his height"?

Flemings weight and height are in the records. It is unusual, but not anywhere near impossible. And as long as it is not, the simple truth is that the record prevails, completely regardless of what you may think about it, and completely regardless of whatever outlandish claim you make about how sickly a freak he was. He has gone down in history as 6 ft 7, weighing around 11 to 12 stone and being of good bodily health. That is what we must deal with - and I donīt mean deal with by means of a saw.

The best,
                            Fisherman
                            Wishful thinking, Fish ?

What have you to say, except the tantramantric : "it's written once, so it has to be true" ?

Or : "6'7 isn't too tall."
                            Which is wrong, clearly and statiscally so.

It's far too tall for the East End 1888.
                            Too tall to be not commented on by the medics.
                            Too tall to have not been mentioned by MJK and her friends.
                            And 11st to 11st8lbs make a more than surprisingly thin fellow.
                            (I'm 20 centimeters shorter, 5 kilos heavier, and I'm already thin.)

A likely mistake, that's all you have against Fleming's candidacy. Or so it seems.

And you use this likely mistake to prevent any serious discussion about Fleming.

However, Colin Roberts, Lynn Cates, Dave, Garry, Debs, Roy and others agree that 6'7 is a possible or probable mistake. And they are not obsessed by Fleming-the-Ripper, as far as I know.

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                              What are the chances Fleming was 6'7"? What are the chances that of all people in all asylums in all of Britain, the one record that pertains to a theoretical suspect was wrong? These are great questions with long odds. That's what I think.

Mike
                              What were the chances that the police would be unable to copy the GSG correctly ?

Only twelve words, considered a very important clue. Everybody would have expected Halse and Long's versions to match perfectly.

They simply don't.
                              Last edited by DVV; 07-23-2013, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• The GSG was copied correctly by one person. Apples and oranges, David. I am suggesting that both the height of 6'7" and the odds of a height mistake on the only record of a modern suspect are similarly long. For what it's worth, I don't believe the 67 inch theory is particularly viable. I believe there was someone 6'7" in the asylum and it was either Fleming or another person brought in at about the same time. If that were the case...that it was a mix-up of names with details because the official was super busy, I'd absolutely accept that. If all records were always recorded in feet and inches, I don't see that 67 inch mistake being made. Just my opinion. I would like to see a list of others admitted on that day or within a day either way.

Mike
                                huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X