Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does Joseph Fleming fit into the equation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil
    “I know nothing about any investigation of Barnett.”

Well, I haven’t checked for exact sources but I know Abberline interrogated Barnett for a long time. I believe they checked his alibi (a Bishopsgate Lodging House), and most damningly checked his clothes for blood.
    Clearly the police did ‘check out’ Barnett, which strongly suggests he was held under a degree of suspicion - however briefly.

Did this suggest that the police suspected (if briefly) Barnett for just the Kelly killing or as the culprit for all of them?
    My guess (when I guess I will signal it!) is that for each Whitechapel murder the police were to an extent open minded enough to investigate whether it was a domestic or had some other motive and was not part of the random series. But then I am not sure that the police really understood the nature of seemingly random serial killings (and it is my firm assumption that this is what they were dealing with).

As for tracing Fleming – we don’t know that he was using an alias. He checked into the Whitechapel Workhouse in 1889 under his real name and signed on at the census in 1891 under his real name. We only know of him using an alias when he was mad in 1892. If this was the same person of course!

But whoever Fleming was, he was relatively local. I’m sure the police will have asked around a lot and some people would have known him by his real name if he was going under a false name. It was a crowded area but he was a local. It is considerably less easy to hide under an alias very close to an area where you were born and bred – obviously.

For example Robert Paul was found. Clearly it took a bit of doing but they found him – although admittedly he didn’t use a false name. Interestingly Dew forgot that Paul had been found and mentions the search in his memoirs.
    If Fleming had been sought (as sensibly he would have been, unless he was eliminated as a person of interest for some other reason – such as that Barnett was mistaken) and the search was unsuccessful, then I think one of the policemen would have mentioned it in their reminiscences. Or one would have sold the story to the press – they were prone to doing that.
    The lack of Fleming references in a way tells its own story.

DVV
    I hope you have calmed down now.
    I have in fact gone into considerable detail with respect to the Fleming and Evans/Fleming evidence.
    I am sorry if this has made you uncomfortable in you Fleming skin.
    I hope you are able to stick to the evidence and avoid these insults.

Is it now regarded as wrong, or bad form, for a proposer of one culprit to pick apart the case for a ‘rival’ culprit?
    I most certainly have never employed that complaint when different people have vigorously cross-examined me about Charles Lechmere and quite frankly I would be ashamed of myself if I did resort to that objection.
    I would regard it as an admission that my case was poor and time to admit I was wrong!

By the way I was at Lakeside shopping centre today (Essex) and saw a very tall skinny chap. No one else took any notice but I would guess he was about 6 foot 7 (or perhaps a little taller as I saw someone I know who is six foot tall walk past him and he was more than a head shorter) and I would guess weighs less than 12 stone. He looked in perfect health.
    Perhaps I should have stopped him and asked for his stats!
    But shamefully it is more my style to take a sneaky photo – here!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	lakeside.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	665070

Comment

• Here you are, Lechmere.

Taking pics of tall and skinny fellows in the streets...

For the record, Fleming would have been in his time as remarkable as a 2m13 tall guy in 2013.

Hope you understand the difference. It's quite a signicant one.

By the way, you should have asked that long skinny fellow about his trade. I'd be surprised if he was a dock labourer, or anything that requires great physical strength.

As for Fleming/Evans, I personally very much doubt he was the one found in the 1891 census, although he could be - and that would make little difference.

I've pointed out several times that you had nothing to contest the firmly established identification of Fleming/Evans with MJK's ex.

And still you have nothing - unless you find a better candidate.

All we have at the present time is one Edward Joseph Flemming, whose trade and whereabouts do not match Kelly's ex.

Therefore, for the time being, there is nothing you can do except accepting that Fleming/Evans was, in all probability, MJK's ex - whatever his heght might have been.

It has been established way beyond reasonable doubt.

But IF, in the future, you're able to present a better candidate - another plasterer from Bethnal Green called Joseph Fleming, that means, I'd readily reconsider the matter.

As I said, Fleming isn't my alias on boards and I'm not married to my fav suspect.

But until that unlikely discovery, you've better stop posting on the subject.

As for the use of an alias, that is mere speculation of your behalf. IF Fleming was the Ripper, there was nothing easier than dossing in the VH under an alias in Automn 1888. And that he had ceased to use that alias in Nov 89, which is, after the series of murders, would be no surprise either.

Comment

• Lechmere - we established long ago that what satisfies YOu are evidence would not satisfy me.

Well, I haven’t checked for exact sources

Precisely.

but I know Abberline interrogated Barnett for a long time. I believe they checked his alibi (a Bishopsgate Lodging House), and most damningly checked his clothes for blood.

What we don't know is:

a) whether the police were looking for the killer of MJK ONLY, or the killer of several linked victims - I think you'll admit there is a difference? and

b) whether Barnett's alibi covers all possible times of the murder.

Clearly the police did ‘check out’ Barnett, which strongly suggests he was held under a degree of suspicion - however briefly.

They would have to have been singularly incompetent not to have considered the recently estranged lover of the victim. Interviewing barnett is one thing - investigating him is another.

My guess (when I guess I will signal it!) is that for each Whitechapel murder the police were to an extent open minded enough to investigate whether it was a domestic or had some other motive and was not part of the random series.

Thank you for being explicit - but you have it right - it is a guess!!! Not good enough in my book - but each to his own.

But then I am not sure that the police really understood the nature of seemingly random serial killings (and it is my firm assumption that this is what they were dealing with).

Fine - my judgement is that MJK 's murder bears the hallmarks of something much more personal. I don't think it ties in with Nichols, Chapman, Eddowes or even Mckenzie in the slightest. thus I think AN "intimate" (NOT NECESSARILY BARNETT) migh have been her killer.

As for tracing Fleming – we don’t know that he was using an alias. He checked into the Whitechapel Workhouse in 1889 under his real name and signed on at the census in 1891 under his real name. We only know of him using an alias when he was mad in 1892. If this was the same person of course!

Your last sentence says it all.

But whoever Fleming was, he was relatively local. I’m sure the police will have asked around a lot and some people would have known him by his real name if he was going under a false name. It was a crowded area but he was a local. It is considerably less easy to hide under an alias very close to an area where you were born and bred – obviously.

Define "local" please.

For example Robert Paul was found. Clearly it took a bit of doing but they found him – although admittedly he didn’t use a false name.

LOL

If Fleming had been sought (as sensibly he would have been, unless he was eliminated as a person of interest for some other reason – such as that Barnett was mistaken) and the search was unsuccessful, then I think one of the policemen would have mentioned it in their reminiscences.

Kosminski was not named in any memoirs, only in Swanson's marginalia. We all missed references to him by Anderson and others. Druitt appears in no memoirs - I beg to differ with your assumption. Sorry.

I shudder to think what implications you read into that or which draw you to make such a statement.

Phil

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
          No David...get with it - he's an Irish Tenor, playing both Lechmere and Paul!

All the best

Dave
          Irish tenor, Dave ?

Then he could play Flanagan as well.

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by DVV View Post
            Irish tenor, Dave ?

Cheers

Good one!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
              Certainly.

It tells us that Fleming never came forward, and has most probably not been found.

It doesn't mean he was the Ripper, of course, but hardly proves him innocent either.

Comment

• Irish tenor, Dave ?

Good one!
                Only good Sally? I think it was bloody superb David!

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Phil - hope you don't mind?

b) whether Barnett's alibi covers all possible times of the murder.
                  I think unless you think that Kelly was killed in the morning (i.e. following sightings by Maxwell and Luwitz) Barnett's out of the frame.

my judgement is that MJK 's murder bears the hallmarks of something much more personal. I don't think it ties in with Nichols, Chapman, Eddowes or even Mckenzie in the slightest. thus I think AN "intimate" (NOT NECESSARILY BARNETT) migh have been her killer.
                  NOT NECESSARILY BARNETT?

I think we've had this conversation before...

I agree with you Phil - it does look personal. I also think the circumstances of Kelly's death are suggestive of a killer who was known to her in some capacity. I think that's as far a we can go though.

Comment

• Sally - we have been here before. My stance has not changed. I do not excuse Barnett, but I do not exonerate him either.

I don't think that on present knowledge we can be certain at what time Kelly died. If it was later on in the morning then did Joe have an alibi? Again, I do not sy he was the killer, I am just not ready to rule him out given our present level of understanding.

Cold logic that's all. I lack your empathy, perhaps sadly.

Phil

Comment

• Originally posted by Sally View Post
                      it does look personal. I also think the circumstances of Kelly's death are suggestive of a killer who was known to her in some capacity. I think that's as far a we can go though.
                      I'd go a little farther, Sally.

Yes, the circumstances suggest a killer who was known to her.

And at the same time, it is beyond doubt a Ripper murder.

As for Barnett, I agree he is the very image of innocence. Almost a Ripper victim.

Cheers

Comment

• And at the same time, it is beyond doubt a Ripper murder.

That's a bold statement.

Not true, in the beyond doubt element - except by those who have not studied the case deeply.

Phil

Comment

• Originally posted by DVV View Post
                          I'd go a little farther, Sally.

Yes, the circumstances suggest a killer who was known to her.

And at the same time, it is beyond doubt a Ripper murder.

As for Barnett, I agree he is the very image of innocence. Almost a Ripper victim.

Cheers
                          Nicely done, David

Yes, almost a Ripper victim. But as likely to be the Ripper as any other married for decades with a stable job suspect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post

By the way I was at Lakeside shopping centre today (Essex) and saw a very tall skinny chap. No one else took any notice but I would guess he was about 6 foot 7 (or perhaps a little taller as I saw someone I know who is six foot tall walk past him and he was more than a head shorter) and I would guess weighs less than 12 stone. He looked in perfect health.
                            Perhaps I should have stopped him and asked for his stats!
                            But shamefully it is more my style to take a sneaky photo – here!
                            [ATTACH]15420[/ATTACH]
                            Lechmere,

Who is that tall guy? Surely you know his name? I mean everyone knows the name of the Essex giant.

Mike
                            huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil H View Post
                              Not true, in the beyond doubt element - except by those who have not studied the case deeply.
                              And then there are those who have studied the case 'deeply' who not only appear to believe that any old Tom, Dick or Harry could commit a casual murder, but one accompanied by the grotesque mutilations inflicted upon Mary Kelly. The same people who see no offending progression from Nichols through to Kelly.

Comment

• Mike – no one seemed to know his name – no one even looked at the gaunt Essex giant apart from me, and that’s because I happened to be standing around opposite him for some time and I thought of this thread!
                                He seemed to have a Primark bag with him. Do they sell such large clothes?
                                Lakeside is near the Tilbury Docks of course. I observed the fellow leave the shopping centre by the railway station exit that leads to those very docks…

Comment

Working...
                                X