The records from Stone Asylum for Joseph Fleming - transcription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    Check contemporary newspaper reports, Mike: they say what I said - no mention of "fibre" or "factory". (I don't make these things up, you know!)

Anyway, if you read the rest of my post, it offers an alternative source for coconuts that requires neither warehouses (although these existed: see above) nor factory employees.
    Ill take A-Z over any press account. At least those authors did do the research.

Best regards

Comment

• Originally posted by perrymason View Post
      Ill take A-Z over any press account.
      So you'd rather take a secondary or tertiary source over an original? Says a lot.
      At least those authors did do the research.
      Did they? Or did they read the same press reports that are at our disposal, NONE of which mention coconut fibre or "factories" AT ALL, and assumed from them that Coram worked in a fibre factory? He could have been lugging boxes of coconut oil, for all the contemporary papers tell us.

I was actually supporting you earlier, in identifying not only a coconut warehouse in the vicinity, but also an alternative source of coconuts... yet you seem to have taken it personally, by picking on the one point I made that seemed to contradict you, despite the fact that I was merely putting the record straight by going back to original sources.

I do wish you'd grow up.
      Last edited by Sam Flynn; 01-04-2010, 11:45 PM.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        So you'd rather take a secondary or tertiary source over an original? Says a lot.
        Did they? Or did they read the same press reports that are at our disposal, NONE of which mention coconut fibre or "factories" AT ALL, and assumed from them that Coram worked in a fibre factory? He could have been lugging boxes of coconut oil, for all the contemporary papers tell us.

I was actually supporting you earlier, in identifying not only a coconut warehouse in the vicinity, but also an alternative source of coconuts... yet you seem to have taken it personally, by picking on the one point I made that seemed to contradict you, despite the fact that I was merely putting the record straight by going back to original sources.

I do wish you'd grow up.
        Coconut fibre has been harvested since coconuts were discovered by white men, for hemp, for clothing, for cooking....I didnt find the mention of the specific nature at all surprising. Im less interested in the middle of the fence than I am the other side is all.

Best regards

Comment

• A 4th clip from the show in Cannes: Don't take my Coconuts ! Or, at least, bring them back...Enjoy !

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post

Previous History:
            Found wandering and sent to Infirmary of City of London Union.
            His mother states there has been insanity in the family for 160 years
            Previous attacks: First
            Duration of Present Attack: Three days

Form of Insanity: Melancholia
            Supposed cause: Drink? Initialled H P
            Bodily Health: Good
            Height: 6ft 7in
            Weight: Weight: 11st 8lbs
            Hi Chris Scott,

Could you post the original of this section ?
            What strikes me is how neat "6'7" is, while "11st8lbs" is so badly shaped.
            And then there is "160 years" to compare...

Thanks in advance,
            David

Comment

• Hi David
              As requested
              Chris
              Attached Files

Comment

• Chris,

Thanks for posting that. I don't want to sound like I have an incredibly active imagination, but the 11 looks like a 16 possibly, with the 6 squished in to fit. I don't know why that would be so, but that's what I see.

Mike
                huh?

Comment

• Many thanks Chris,

...and well...what a mess...it seems that the line "his mother..." is from a different hand...

Where is Frank Leander ?

Amitiés,
                  David
                  Last edited by DVV; 02-17-2010, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                    Chris,

Thanks for posting that. I don't want to sound like I have an incredibly active imagination, but the 11 looks like a 16 possibly, with the 6 squished in to fit. I don't know why that would be so, but that's what I see.

Mike
                    Hi Mike,

This could be checked (and cleared?) quite easily, as his weight is noted several times in these records.

Amitiés,
                    David

Comment

• One thing at least is clear : the 7 in 6'7 can't be a "1" - see "July 7th", obviously from the same hand.

Amitiés,
                      David

Comment

• Originally posted by DVV View Post
                        Hi Mike,

This could be checked (and cleared?) quite easily, as his weight is noted several times in these records.

David
                        The image below contains several instances of his weight being recorded
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks again, Chris,

It's clearly "11", and certainly not "16", as Mike' had suggested.

So we are dealing with a man of 6'7 for 11st...and healthy.
                          Since there are several occurrences of his weight, the problem lies in the height...
                          I don't know how nor why the mistakes were done, but I'm confident Henrietta said "150 years", while his son was 5'7.

Amitiés,
                          David

Comment

• Hi all
                            Just as an intresting sideline on Stone Hospital ( as I have always known it as ). As a young teenager in the early 70's, I lived around the corner from serial killer Patrick Macay, who was himself being held there when he escaped and murdered a priest in Shorne,Kent. And as coincidence would have it, a close femail freind of mine's bedroom over looks the very house it happened.
                            Since I told her, many a nightmare she has had.
                            I think Stone Hospital is a mental hospital no more.

ps. I can remember a scary event concerning Mr Macay as a kid as well.

Comment

• Hi Spyglass,

it's interesting. You should tell us more in "Shades of Whitechapel".

Amitiés,
                              David

Comment

• Originally posted by DVV View Post
                                Thanks again, Chris,

It's clearly "11", and certainly not "16", as Mike' had suggested.

So we are dealing with a man of 6'7 for 11st...and healthy.
                                Since there are several occurrences of his weight, the problem lies in the height...
                                I don't know how nor why the mistakes were done, but I'm confident Henrietta said "150 years", while his son was 5'7.

Amitiés,
                                David
                                Hi David
                                The problem is that these two entries (the 160 years and 6ft 7in) are, as you said, in different hands so we would have to envisage two people independently mistakenly writing a 6 instead of a 5
                                Regards
                                Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X