The records from Stone Asylum for Joseph Fleming - transcription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hook

Hello Fish. Could that refer to a clothing hook? Something analogous to a coat hanger?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
      Yep, "strap" may well be correct, with the t crossbar on drift. What´s with the hook, though? Was it the carrying kind, as employed by waterside labourers and such people? One has to wonder - if so, it would be rather an awkward thing to carry with him, would it not?
      Then again, if it was such a hook, then maybe - just maybe - there is the remote possibility that he carried it as a potential weapon to wield against perceived persecutors...?
      But if it was, I would have much preferred if he opted for a knife, I must say.

Or is it another "hook" altogether? Guesses, anyone?

The best,
      Fisherman

A Longshoreman's hook maybe? An essential tool for dock labourers according to Wiki

Comment

• Lynn Cates:

"Could that refer to a clothing hook? Something analogous to a coat hanger?"

Could not say, Lynn - though it would seem an odd thing to carry around too. I think that you Brits (and Scots, Irishmen and Welsh) may be the better judges of the issue. My language insights will perhaps not allow for a full understanding of it.

The best,
        Fisherman

Comment

• Debra:

"A Longshoreman's hook maybe? "

That is exactly what I had in mind, yes. But it remains an awkward thing to shove into your coat pocket. Maybe he carried it in his belt, though, like in the pic you posted!

The best,
          Fisherman

Comment

• Hi all

Looks like "Leather strap" to me.

(Can't be "Leather strop" for sharpening knives, can it?)

Regards
            Autolycus
            "...a snapper-up of unconsidered trifles."

Comment

• workhouse

Hello Debs. I just sent you an email. The 1881 census has 21 year old Joseph in a workhouse. That is odd. However, he does show up in the 1871 census with his mum and dad.

At any rate, he does not seem to be following his father's trade in 1881.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

• Autolycus:

"(Can't be "Leather strop" for sharpening knives, can it?)"

Of course it can. And that device was what added that extra sharpness to razors and such ...!

The best,
                Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                  Hello Debs. I just sent you an email. The 1881 census has 21 year old Joseph in a workhouse. That is odd. However, he does show up in the 1871 census with his mum and dad.

At any rate, he does not seem to be following his father's trade in 1881.

Cheers.
                  LC
                  Lynn,
                  I've emailed you...it's complicated..

Comment

• From the 1898 Booth Poverty Map here's Cyprus Street in Bethnal Green where Fleming was born. It looks reasonably respectable and runs left to right on the map, just below mid centre.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cyprus st.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	662088
                    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Hi Debs

Great find - again!

If only every lunatic could be so well documented, my life would have been so much easier

I also believe the three mystery words were:
                      1 leather strap/strop (difficult to say whether it is an a or an o by looking at his other words, both could fit)
                      1 Hook and 1 Tobacco box.

Doesn't seem a lot really does it?!

Tj
                      It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

• I think I have found something that shows the son of Henrietta and Richard, subject of these records was living at the Victoria Home prior to his being sent to the asylum. I will post the details in a short while when I've checked it through.

Comment

• Originally posted by tji View Post
                          Hi Debs

Great find - again!

If only every lunatic could be so well documented, my life would have been so much easier

I also believe the three mystery words were:
                          1 leather strap/strop (difficult to say whether it is an a or an o by looking at his other words, both could fit)
                          1 Hook and 1 Tobacco box.

Doesn't seem a lot really does it?!

Tj
                          Thanks Tracy, I seem to be living in Stone asylum lately!
                          I will email you tonight...I haven't forgotten you, honest!

Comment

• City of London, Orders of removal, lunatic admissions 1891-1892:

Statement of particulars relating to James Evans

male age 37 years
                            single
                            dock labourer
                            presidence at or immediately previous to the date hereof-an inmate of the City of London Union Infirmary.
                            whether first attack -yes
                            duration of existing attack-3 days
                            dated 4th July 1892

Using the information that previous to admittance to the asylum, he was first taken to the City of London Infirmary [Bow Road] I checked the available records for that establishment and found this entry in the creed register.

City of London, Religious Creed, Bow Road Infirmary 1889-1893
                            Date of entry- July 1st 1892, Evans James, admitted June 30,
                            from where admitted-Victoria House Whitechapel

Name:	part 1.JPG
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	662093

Name:	part 2.JPG
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	662094

Name:	part 3.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	662095

Comment

• Thanks again, Debs. The plot certainly appears to be thickening here.

When taken in conjunction with the infirmary record from 1889, it would seem that the Victoria Home was most likely to have been a permanent base for Fleming from 1888 until his incarceration in 1892.

All the best,
                              Ben

Comment

• oops, I see the above bit of info was already known and posted by Scott Nelson some time ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X