Arthur Druitt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthur Druitt

Does anyone have any info on Monty's youngest brother, Arthur Druitt?
    I couldn't sleep last night and was wondering about the lack of info about him, certainly compared to his three brothers.

For some reason, I'd got it into my head that he'd died in infancy. But I realised that since he was recorded as attending Monty's funeral he was probably alive in 1889, at least.
    One furious midnight googling session later and I find he was mentioned in William Harvey Druitt's will in 1909 and reported Edward Druitt's death in 1922 in Scotland, so he actually outlived all his brothers.

Anyway, here's what my sleep deprived brain has managed to cobble together of his life:

Born circa 1864 Wimborne.

1882 attended New College, Oxford (same college as Monty had just graduated from)

1889 3 Jan - attended funeral of his brother Monty at Wimborne.

Sometime after this he seems to have moved to Scotland and, like Monty, become a schoolmaster (possibly at Edinburgh Academy).
    Also married to Isabella Chiene sometime.

1895 daughter Hilda May Druitt born 6th June, Edinburgh

1904 An Arthur Druitt is voted into the Royal Scottish Geographical Society.

1909 Named in brother WH Druitt's will.

? Became father to (William Arthur) Harvey Druitt b.1910
    "Born on 19 April 1910 to Arthur Druitt of Gullane (which is just East of Edinburgh)"

Named on brother Edward Druitt's death certificate 1922, living at 19 Inverleith Place, Edinburgh

Died: ????

Can anyone confirm or refute any of the above?

Hi Joshua,

I made a few notes whilst reading Jon Hainsworth’s last book to aid my memory. I have Arthur born in 1863 (unless I copied it down incorrectly) and dying in 1943. His wife was the daughter of the Professor of Surgery at Edinburgh University. I’ll email Jon to see if he has more info about Arthur.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Thanks HS. So Arthur has a date of death then? I was rather hoping he was still alive and worth tracking down for a long chat. Ah well.

So would you know whether he married before or after moving to Scotland?

Comment

From Keith Skinner:

"I've attached some information about William Harvey Druitt (MJD's brother) as Martin (Howells) and I were very interested to try and find out about William's movements during that period MJD was reported missing and his body was discovered in the Thames. We never had time to pursue or develop this line of enquiry although it has probably been explored as we were researching pre-internet days.

It amused me to discover that my notes are on the reverse of some pages from a Dr Who episode I was in which subsequently has become one of the iconic episodes in the canon - and as a result of which I was invited as a guest to a Dr Who convention."

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2677.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	798705

Name:	IMG_2678.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	798706

Name:	IMG_2679.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	798707

Name:	IMG_2680.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	798708

Name:	IMG_2681.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	798709

Name:	IMG_2682.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	798710

Name:	IMG_2683.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	798711

Name:	IMG_2684.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	798712
        Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
        JayHartley.com

Comment

Lots of stuff from Keith via Ero. Thanks to both.

This is from Christine Ward-Agius:

Here is an overview of what was published in our book regarding Arthur.

Arthur Druitt (1863-1943) became a school master at Jeffrey House, Edinburgh Academy, at 13 Kinnear Road. In 1894 he married Isabella Chiene the daughter of the Professor of Surgery at the University of Edinburgh. Arthur, like his brother Edward made a life for himself and his new family in Edinburgh, although he remained close to his Aunt Isabella Druitt and his cousins who lived in Kensington and his own surviving siblings.

My assessment of Arthur is that he was a very loyal family member and a nice chap. I have read letters written between the Druitt family members and Arthur is often mentioned as dropping in to see his cousins in Kensington (this is the family of Dr Robert Druitt, and Aunt Isabella Druitt). Dr Robert was the brother of Montie's father and a very famous doctor and a public figure. Even after the tragedy of Montie's death and their mother Ann's death, Arthur continued to stay in touch with his extended family and would often visit Aunt Isabella who by then was a widow, and stay the night in their Kensington Home. Arthur had one son who was extremely successful as a lawyer and was Knighted for his service - Sir William Arthur Harvey Druitt. He was in fact alive when Tom Cullen named his Uncle Montague as Jack the Ripper in 'Autumn of Terror'. We really do wonder what he thought!
          We hope this helps Joshua,
          Kind regards

Christine and Jonathan
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post
            From Keith Skinner:

"I've attached some information about William Harvey Druitt (MJD's brother) as Martin (Howells) and I were very interested to try and find out about William's movements during that period MJD was reported missing and his body was discovered in the Thames. We never had time to pursue or develop this line of enquiry although it has probably been explored as we were researching pre-internet days.

It amused me to discover that my notes are on the reverse of some pages from a Dr Who episode I was in which subsequently has become one of the iconic episodes in the canon - and as a result of which I was invited as a guest to a Dr Who convention."
            Thank you Ero. I can see that I'm going to have to put on my strongest reading glasses to decipher that lot. Keith, your filing system really needs to enter the 20th century at least!
            Nevertheless, thank you, it looks very interesting. Perhaps almost as interesting as the script on the other side.
            Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
              Lots of stuff from Keith via Ero. Thanks to both.

This is from Christine Ward-Agius:
              Thanks Herlock, Christine and Jonathan. Very interesting, and much easier to read!

Impressive that two of Arthur's children gained honours - Harvey a knighthood and Hilda an MBE. Maybe Dorothy did too, a clean sweep?

Comment

Post number 5 mentions "Richard Ball".

This name rang a bell with me. Threads from 2004 and 2008:

https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...t-oxford/page2

Comment

From Keith Skinner:

"Could you thank Herlock and Joshua for their kind remarks and apologise to Joshua for my handwriting. The notes were from 1984 but I had no difficulty finding them as I still use my 20th Century card index filing system!"
                  Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
                  JayHartley.com

Comment

Working...
                  X