• Show
Clear All

• 1975 Article regarding JTR was a doctor? Give YOUR opinion

INT’L. J. PSYCHIATRY IN MEDICINE, Vol. 6(3),1975
    JACK THE RIPPER AND DOCTOR-IDENTIFICATION*
    SEYMOUR SHUSTER’
    Mission, Kansas

ABSTRACT
    It is possible that Jack the Ripper can be understood in terms of doctor- identification borne of one or more terrifying experiences he may have had with doctors during his childhood. The fantasies acted out by this primitive murderer are similar t o the fantasies experienced by people who have been surgically traumatized as children. The evidence suggests that the activities of Jack the Ripper resemble the acting-out of a horror story in which he, as the main character, played to the population of London as an actor plays to his audience, through the need to discharge anxiety and regain some kind of emotional balance. When his depredations failed to achieve the desired results for him, the Ripper probably committed suicide.

“Suppose we catch the Whitechapel murderer, can we not, before handing him over to the executioner or the authorities at Broadmoor, make a really decent effort to discover his antecedents, and his

*EDITOR’S NOTE-From time to time the Journal publishes articles which do not closely adhere to editorial objectives. Our interest, however, extends to the variety of personal meanings that illness can have for people and how such meanings may influence their view of the world. The author of this paper shows how his subjective experience of surgery as a child nurtured a curiosity that extends beyond what doctors do in their “forbidden rooms.”

The author is an engineer employed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency working in the field of air pollution control. While an “elderly” undergraduate (aged 36) at the University of Michigan, he became aware that the surgical trauma he had experienced as an eight year old child, and from which he was still suffering, was a fairly common phenomenon, widely reported in the psychiatric literature. The great respect he gained for both the depth and the destructiveness of surgically induced emotional trauma in children and the insights he acquired in trying to overcome its effects led him to suspect that a connection existed between this phenomenon and the origin of such classic horror stories as Dracula,Frankensteinand Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde. Mr. Shuster plans to write his autobiography, in which he hopes to present in more detail a fuller picture of the pervasiveness and depth of surgical trauma.
    01976.Seymour Shuster
    doi: 10.2190/BTBK-Q6QD-N88Y-82VA http://baywood.com

kwanitaka, thanks for posting as the "doctor- identification" idea is a new one on me and sounds like an original suggestion. Though isn't the extract only suggesting JTR was fantasying, identifying with being a doctor but not necessarily that JTR was a doctor?

Comment

Victorian sex workers. I have looked and there are no historians discussing exactly what JTR’s victims were selling. I assume they all had a brief discussion with Jack about what he wanted and the price. I assume - though I am really asking members here to help with this - that intercourse WAS NOT typical since disease was too common. Though I did read that Victorian women had no knowledge about what to expect on their wedding night since virginity was important but grooms usually had experience with prostitutes. But out in the open? Was oral sex common in 1888? Did Jack have to negotiate price? R.D.Kepple wrote one victim had her back to JTR, the client. Why would she turn around unless her client asked for anal sex? If the prostitute was on her knees could using a knife on her throat be better position and then he could easily place her down on her back?

Again, did JTR walk around with the knife and bag for the organs? And it wasn’t just one organ. Has anyone - in theory of course - placed the amount of organs in a pile to see how heavy or big it would be?

So JTR wore gloves. He walked around with organs in a bag and went home? No one saw him? Kepple also mentions JTR only chose white, poor women. Well, what other kind of women would be walking around alone in Whitechapel? What was the number of black women in Whitechapel at that time?

I am sure that the identity of JTR was widely known in elite circles. The famous, royal circles had to know. Someone told Aleister Crowley who he was. If the Queen wanted to know who Scotland Yard was looking at, do you think they would refuse a meeting with her?

I have many questions for the JTR obsessed fans.

Comment

Originally posted by kwanitaka View Post
        I assume - though I am really asking members here to help with this - that intercourse WAS NOT typical since disease was too common.
        You would assume incorrectly. The prospect of disease has never in human history prevented people from getting their freak on. Not in Victorian times, not in modern. Or haven't you heard of AIDS? And Herpes? And Chlamydia. All of which people are still passing around today. Disease is just as common today as then, have you noticed people stopping doing what they want to do based on the fear of disease?

Though I did read that Victorian women had no knowledge about what to expect on their wedding night since virginity was important but grooms usually had experience with prostitutes.
        Also incorrect. While some upper class women might have been sheltered from the knowledge of what went on, this is not true for the majority of people growing up. The luxury of privacy was not something that impoverished people had. Not to mention, dogs and other animals still existed. Watching animals in the street provides lots of education.

Why would she turn around unless her client asked for anal sex?

.... I ... How OLD are you? I suddenly feel like asking you if you have your parents permission to post here if you need this one explained to you. And I am not going to be the one to do it if I don't know your age.

I have many questions for the JTR obsessed fans.
        Nobody here is a JTR obsessed fan. If you are, leave.

Last edited by Admin; 01-12-2023, 11:09 AM.

Let all Oz be agreed;
        I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Nobody likes you. You are an empty person. Stop insulting posters. Do you expect footnotes? Okay, I’ll do that because you are a small-minded bully. And you are not an original thinker. So this is what Casebook is, I can be as nasty as all the posters here. Bravo! I have fans here now. I will provoke and be dismissive but I have such a full life of high school activities I cannot post thousands of insults. Let’s make a list of the most insulting posters! Nearly 2500 posts? So you are jobless and homeless. What library do you post from?

Comment

Ally, who gave you the right to ask me to leave? All hail Ally! Sit in your basement haven and ponder your navel. I’m staying put now that you have encouraged me. You are my task. I am going to read all your posts and insult you - when I have lots of free time! Imagine all the insults I can deliver on all your posts. You are my new hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
              Watching animals in the street provides lots of education.
              Honestly, Ally, I'm not stalking you.

I just saw the post you replied to and - as usual recently - my jaw dropped.

In the early 1990s, my daughter came home from primary school one day and told me they had just had a sex education lesson. Luckily I had already told her the basics, because her teacher had shown the class a video of horses getting it on. I'm surprised it didn't give all the girls nightmares for weeks.

Maybe the teacher mixed it up with the film Ice Station Zebra, thinking she was going to show them a 'Nice Stationary Zebra'. But the mind boggles.

Love,

Caz
              X
              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Ally, who gave you the right to ask me to leave? All hail Ally! Sit in your basement haven and ponder your navel. I’m staying put now that you have encouraged me. You are my task. I am going to read all your posts and insult you - when I have lots of free time! Imagine all the insults I can deliver on all your posts. You are my new hobby!
                Oh-oh.

I smell blood.

Comment

Well as the owner of the boards, I not only have the right to ask you to leave, but I also have the authority to boot you right out on your cute little ass. Want to try your answer again, sugar?

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post

Honestly, Ally, I'm not stalking you.
                    You would be a much higher caliber of stalker than the usual dregs I get let me tell you. My last one was an absolute trainwreck. Hardly any fun at all! Hope you're doing well! Stephen is talking about going to London this year, maybe we can meet for a coffee somewhere in the wilds of the woods of the country side!

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post

Oh-oh.

I smell blood.

Yep, fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Reminds me of the line from "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" -- "I didn't know you were the Sundance Kid when I said you were cheating."

I wonder what's next on his bucket list? Perhaps slapping Mike Tyson and telling him he thinks he is gay.

c.d.

Comment

You would be a much higher caliber of stalker than the usual dregs I get let me tell you. My last one was an absolute trainwreck. Hardly any fun at all! Hope you're doing well! Stephen is talking about going to London this year, maybe we can meet for a coffee somewhere in the wilds of the woods of the country side!
                        That would be cool. I think you'd get on very well with my better half.

Mind you, Deepest Darkest Devon is a looong way into the countryside from London - and a coffee?? You jest. That's going to make my spelling go all funny. I can feel it in me water...

Have fun with unkannytwat while I'm away. And don't hold back.

Love,

Caz
                        X

Comment

Well as the owner of the boards, I not only have the right to ask you to leave, but I also have the authority to boot you right out on your cute little ass. Want to try your answer again, sugar?
                          Ally,
                          Are you flirting with me? You are the owner of the boards and you insult posters? I am shocked. Well, it’s up to you, since you are Ruler of the BOARDS. You can delete my account as you have threatened. Thankfully, all posters will know you are designating the posts ranking according to your standards and all posters are now informed that if they don’t behave they will be punished. Your fiefdom is secure. All praise to the Ruler of the Boards. As you know, I signed up years ago and I am not on here every day, so you insult new posters. You have the power to delete me even though I am an interested seeker but why bother with new people and new ideas regarding JTR, when you have a cast of regulars to insult? Do your justice and then every poster will know to kiss your ring as the Owner of the Boards.

Comment

Actually, I'm booting you because martyrs are boring and uninteresting. Have a lovely life. If you actually had an interesting response or comeback, you'd have been given a grace period. Next time, be an interesting troll. Not a tired one. Take lessons from Marriott. At least his pathology is interesting and not just going "You're STUPID!". I need a better class of insult to keep a troll around. Sorry Caz, this one didn't pan out.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Well that escalated quickly...
                              Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Working...
                              X