Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montie's Pals....

O.K., Folks,
    So Edward Tyas Cook was a titillating connection.
    What if I told you there was someone in MJD's world who(a) Was a "Fives" champion at Winchester; first attended Winchester in the same Short Half Term as MJD;became a barrister like MJD; married the daughter of Reverend T.Fox of Abbas Combe, Dorset; and occupied chambers at 9 Kings Bench Walk at the same time as Montague Druitt?
    What's more, this man's own mother Caroline, was involved in telling an interesting story of a surprise police visit to her father, Sir William Gull!! Other people ( like Forbes Winslow allegedly linked that visit to the police hunt for Jack the Ripper!!).
    Can you guess who it is?

The other Person Of Interest from MJD's World:
    (a) was born the same year as MJD; attended Winchester a couple of years before MJD;attended another college at Oxford the same time as MJD;was a member of the Inner Temple; and occupied chambers at 9 Kings Bench Walk; I think his family had some landed connection with Dorset...Can you guess who that was?

The answers soon... JOHN RUFFELS.

The answer is John Ruffels? Wow, I didn't realize you were that old.

But seriously, it sounds interesting. If I didn't have so much to do today I might spend some time trying to figure it out. Of course curiosity might get the better of me anyway...

Dan Norder
    Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
    Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

My guess for the first would be Reginald Brodie Dyke Acland

Comment

........and John,what if I reminded you that Caroline"s husband,was an Acland,
        and that another Acland -a relative possibly [Arthur HD Acland ,a Cambridge man this time] spent a whole lot of time listening to and attending to the Reverand Barnett of St Jude"s,Commercial Street, who ,in 1885,along with a number of student friends from Oxford and Cambridge were devoted to the poor of Whitechapel?Indeed one of these, the most illustrious of all ,used to regulary "speak" at such meetings,and that it was none other than ----- the Duke of Clarence?
        Natalie

Comment

Assuming this is Acland -- whose presence at no. 9 KBW has been known -- I did not realize he married a Dorset girl. Abbas Combe is really not close to Wimborne Minster, though it is closer to Farquharson territory near Blandford.

Comment

Thanks Dan, Natalie Chris and Andy,
            I am surprised Chris correctly guessed the first one because, I was so busy showing off and " doing a Macnaghten" - during which, my memory failed me-
            a few errors crept into my supposed clues:Yes, it was REGINALD BRODIE DYKE ACLAND.But I have no proof he played "Fives"at Winchester.It is highly likely he did. If so, he would have played MJD who was also good at the game ( one of the few things I've noticed he had in common with his father, William Druitt, a Wimborne Grammar "Fives" champion). RBD-A was recorded by John Leighton in his biography of MJD as saying RBD-A played "Fives" well at Oxford.
            Error Number Two: It was RBD-A's brother Dr Theodore Dyke Acland who was married to Caroline ( nee Gull).
            Error Number three: It was R.J.Lees not Forbes Winslow who used Caroline Dyke-Acland's story of the police visit to Sir william Gull to spin a JTR yarn around. Sorry about those.
            Interesting detail concerning another Dyke-Acland sibling Natalie, thanks. Yes,
            I am sure we will eventually discover MJD was interested in helping "the poor" of the East End. After all, wasn't good old Uncle Robert Druitt involved in helping study and devise new sanitation regulations in the East End?
            Prince Albert Victor also addressed a group of Dr Barnardo's child migrants before they sailed for Canada at the Working Lads Institute around the late 1880's.
            I'll supply the name of the second "Pal" in my next post.Tomorrow.
            I better go and lie down Dan, I'm feeling old.... JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Here Is The Answer...

For those of you who patiently waited and didn't "Google" other names
              ( where as you know you will find information stored on past Casebook threads - perhaps even the DVD!).
              And yes, this information has been on the boards before: March 2004 for those with good memories.
              The answer of just who the second person was to whom I referred to in my previous post...is GEORGE ST JOHN MILDMAY.
              The Dorset connection actually occurred a little later. GStJ.Mildmay married
              Grace Mary HAMBRO, the daughter of PERCIVAL HAMBRO of Milton Abbas Dorset,on 3rd August, 1898. Percivals brother, Colonel C.J.T.Hambro was elected Member for (South?) Dorset in 1886.
              Two Mildmay brothers attended Eliot Place School in Blackheath in 1871 ( prior to Rev. Valentine), and one of these brothers (Arundel) also attended Winchester college.The family was of the (Plantaganet) Blood Royal.
              Oh, and George's mother was Harriet Louisa, daughter of the Very Reverend Honorable George Neville Grenville, Dean of Windsor.

I will post the names of lesser connected persons - to MJD - later....
              JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Hi John,

I would think that Milton Abbas would be in the West Dorset district but I don't know the boundaries exactly. If it were West Dorset that would make him the successor to Farquharson but that name doesn't sound familar so I think you may be correct.

Milton Abbas is 17 road miles from Wimborne Minster, 9 miles from Blandford Forum, 12 miles from Farquharson's home of Tarrant Gunville.

Comment

Hello Andy and All,
                  Yes, I think Farquarson did not relinquish his seat in 1886 so it was not him who Hambro replaced.
                  Natalie has mentioned an Arthur H. Dyke Acland as being active at Toynbee Hall in East London.By my Googling I think he is identical with the second son of Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, whose brother was the Reginald D-A at 9 Kings Bench Walk.
                  This Arthur was apparently an M.P. too. He seems to have written and lectured on some very enlightened measures to uplift the poor and the working class. Co-operative movements;Working Mens Colleges (Technical Colleges); and of course, Toynbee Hall.
                  Arthur may be identical with the chap who inherited seven thousand a year from an ancient vicar on condition he changed his surname to TRYOTE-ACLAND. Or Acland Tryote!!
                  JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Interesting John,I am particularly interested in this Acland connection---partly in the light of old Stowell"s "revelations" in the 70"s.

Andy,
                    Apparently a Dr Robert FARQUHARSON MP gave a talk at the Toynbee Hall in 1903 entitled, "Must Britain take a back seat?"

Is this the Farquharson you discovered do you think?

Comment

And another thing...
                      Whilst I cannot pretend to be an expert on upper class education in Britain in the Late Victorian Period, I think I should add a rider to some of the above.
                      As Dan Farson pointed out, there was a sort of sausage-machine process working at particular Greater Public Schools. That is, connections between these schools, University, colleges and even Inns of Court and barristers chambers.
                      If you look closely at the occupants of 9 Kings Bench Walk around the late 1880's,for instance. Many of them had attended the Inner Temple.
                      Farson clearly tells us the founder of Winchester College, Bishop Wickham,
                      was also the founder of New College Oxford. So, it was fairly logical scholars from Winchester gravitated to New College Oxford.
                      So the word of warning is the need to explain this semi invisible sausage-machine process : the reason occupants of 9 Kings Bench Walk had so much in common. But not entirely.
                      Parents with more money or other preferences could have varied the process.
                      And of course, if Druitt and others were together all the way through school, university and the Inns of court, well... they certainly would have known each other well. JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

More "Pals" For Monty?

Hello All,
                        From my winnowed lists, here are some more names to conjure with.
                        ALGERNON HASKETT-SMITH b.1856. Eton;Univ. Coll. Oxford;Middle Temple; called to the Bar 1883. Occupant chambers 9 Kings Bench Walk. When he died in 1887, Wisdens ( the cricketers bible) said " played cricket for Eton, Oxford. Good batsman and fine long leg fielder. Good sprint runner. Won Oxford 100 yd. race 1879.Died 21 Nov. 1887.(Wisdens 1888).
                        Hasket-Smith would have been a good common friend for Reggie Dyke-Acland and Druitt.
                        RICHARD BETHEL ALLAN PRICHARD.b.1857.Winchester, Short Half Term 1870;New College Oxford 1876-1879; 3 Cl Mod 1879; Inner Temple 1880.
                        Cricketer at Winchester and Oxford.(Seated next to MJD in Winchester cricket photo).Went on to ride steeple chasers (horses) and became Sceretary/Manager Warwick Race Syndicate. Owner and runner of Steeplechasers and other horses. Died Leamington 8 March 1907.
                        More following... JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

And More Possible Pals..

EDWARD ROBERT PACY MOON:B --. Winchester (Short Half Term)1871.New College Oxford, 1878-graduating (2 Cl ) 1881.Inner Temple. Called To Bar 7 May 1884.Further career unknown. An “A.W.Moon” played cricket at Winchester with Druitt in 1876.

Two school masters claimed to have taught at Valentine’s school. dates unknown:
                          Mr RIDLEY PRENTICE and MR –- ROYDS*.(This from an old letter I received citing no source).* Possibly “Edward Thomas Hubert” who was teaching at “ School House, East Street, Blandford, Dorset(1915).

Two other occupants of 9 Kings Bench walk who, later, took up teaching positions:
                          JOHN WINGFIELD: Assistant Grammar Master at Christ’s Hospital School London.(Date unknown).
                          CHARLES EDWARD LACY: Scholl House, Friern Barnett Road, New Southgate(1903).

Comment

Generalia...

A remarkable number of people discussed in JTR books ended up living in Blackheath:
                            Mrs Forbes Winslow 11 Grove park Gardens, Blackheath (1903).
                            Mrs CUTBUSH, 149 Westcombe Hill, Blackheath (1903).
                            Mr GEORGE HERBERT VALENTINE, Heath Villa, Pond Road, Blackheath. (1903).
                            Rev’d.FRANCIS BENJAMIN MAYO*,M.A.: Private Tutor, 6 Glenluce Road, Blackheath. (1903).* The Mayos were closely related to the Druitts and the Eltons.
                            JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnr View Post
                              A remarkable number of people discussed in JTR books ended up living in Blackheath:
                              Mrs Forbes Winslow 11 Grove park Gardens, Blackheath (1903).
                              Mrs CUTBUSH, 149 Westcombe Hill, Blackheath (1903).
                              Mr GEORGE HERBERT VALENTINE, Heath Villa, Pond Road, Blackheath. (1903).
                              Rev’d.FRANCIS BENJAMIN MAYO*,M.A.: Private Tutor, 6 Glenluce Road, Blackheath. (1903).* The Mayos were closely related to the Druitts and the Eltons.
                              JOHN RUFFELS.
                              Yes, and, of couse, let's not forget John Henry Lonsdale who lived a few seconds' walk from Druitt and Edward Tyas Cook who lived a few minutes away. Blackheath was quite a popular suburb and suburban living was becoming quite popular in that era due to the availability of relatively affordable transport.

Comment

Working...
                              X