No announcement yet.

Druitt and Macnaghten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was Farquharson's full name, and what was the ship he was on when he was drowned?

Comment

Do Not Know The Name Of The Ship

Hello Jeff,

There is a thread especially set up for Henry Farquharson on the Druitt line:

I haven't read it fully at the moment, but I do not recall its creator including it in his ground-breaking Ripperologist article; and his subsequent Dissertation on the "West of England Member" here on Casebook.

The year of death was 1895 he died on board a ship returning him to England from his tea plantation in Ceylon (Sri Langka).

JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Hi John,

The following is the entry in Wikipedia on Henry Farquharson. It is at vHenry Richard Farquharson
        From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

Henry Richard Farquharson (1857 – 23 April 1895)[1] was an English landowner and Conservative politician.

Farquharson was born at Brighton and became the owner of a large estate at Eastbury House, Tarrant Gunville (near Blandford Forum in Dorset). He was a fanatical breeder of Newfoundland dogs and had a pack of one hundred and twenty five. He imported them through the port of Poole, Dorset and had a Crufts winner.[2]

He was elected at the 1885 general election as Member of Parliament (MP) for West Dorset, and held the seat until his death.[3] In the 1892 election he libelled his opponent C. T. Gatty, and was forced to pay £5000 damages a year later.[4] He died at Tarrant at the age of 38.

[edit] References
        1.^ "Historical list of MPs: constituencies beginning with D, part 2". Leigh Rayment's House of Commons pages. http://www.leighrayment.com/commons/Dcommons2.htm. Retrieved 14 January 2010.
        2.^ Dorset Online Parish Clerks - Tarrant Gunville
        3.^ Craig, F. W. S. (1989) [1974]. British parliamentary election results 1885–1918 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 266. ISBN 0-900178-27-2.
        4.^ The West Australian Thursday 22 June 1893
        [edit] External links
        Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Henry Farquharsonariance with what you said:

See what I mean here - He did not die in 1898 but in 1895. He did not apparently die in a shipwreck (although to be fair how he died is not gone into). I would like to know what ship he was on when he died - it had to be a ship from Sri Lanka or some tea producing Asian place.

If you can find out let me know.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
          See what I mean here - He did not die in 1898 but in 1895. He did not apparently die in a shipwreck (although to be fair how he died is not gone into). I would like to know what ship he was on when he died - it had to be a ship from Sri Lanka or some tea producing Asian place.
          This Times obituary posted by Chris Scott, on the thread John linked to, contains more details, including the name of the ship:

Comment

Ship and Date of Death Now Known

Hello Jeffrey,and thanks Chris G.,

So, the answer to your questions Jeffrey are: date of death 17th April 1895 at sea; and death occurred on board the P&O vessel "Peshawar".
            Poor old Farquie must have suffered: dysentery for six whole days.

A mystery for you, Jeffrey: I wonder who his travelling companion was?
            Did they bump him orf to keep him quiet?

I should make it clear that plans for Henry Farquharson M.P. to transfer, to contest the Conservative-held seat of Bethnal Green, were being planned when he unexpectedly passed away.

Could you imagine the ructions he would have caused with his JTR Theory (almost an obsession) in a seat almost next door to Whitechapel?
            And him such an impulsive and indiscreet fellow! (See his previous sensational court case).

JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

The Mysterious Companion of Henry.

Since he was returning from examining his tea plantation, maybe it was either Earl Gray, Lady Londonderry, or Sir Thomas Lipton. Actually it probably wasn't Sir Thomas - instead of a P & O liner he would have insisted they travel on one of his yachts.

In the film NOW VOYAGER Bette Davis and Gladys Cooper take a journey to Asia on a P & O liner (unnamed - not likely the Peshawar).

Jeff

Comment

Perhaps Farquharson's Mystery Companion Was.....

Jeffrey, You love conspiracies and coincidences:

I wonder if a certain Assistant Commissioner from the CID , ever took leave to go out to his family's tea plantations on the Indian sub-continent?

Or was returning from inspecting same on the same ship as Farquharson?

Macnaghten was a dedicated Eton man. Attending reunions and giving orations years afterwards.

What with Indian/Ceylon tea plantations and Eton, he and a certain "West of England Member" had a couple of things in common. Although they were not contemporaneous at Eton.

JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

John, not so much conspiracies, but find one "coincidence" that is just too strong to ignore and study it. In this case we need all we can find that stand up.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Johnr View Post
                    Jeffrey, You love conspiracies and coincidences:

I wonder if a certain Assistant Commissioner from the CID , ever took leave to go out to his family's tea plantations on the Indian sub-continent?
                    Oddly enough, "Red Jim" McDermott also claimed to have property in Ceylon, which he had inherited after the death of an uncle whose son had gone missing, presumed eaten by wild beasts in the jungle.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnr View Post
                      Hello Jeffrey,and thanks Chris G.,

Poor old Farquie must have suffered: dysentery for six whole days.

A mystery for you, Jeffrey: I wonder who his travelling companion was?
                      Did they bump him orf to keep him quiet?

[/B]

JOHN RUFFELS.
                      Hi John,

Maybe Farquie and his companion suffered (and died from) too much tanic acid in their tea.

Another person who briefly was an overseer on a Ceylonese Plantation was (of all people) Sidney Greenstreet, before he changed directions, became an actor, and gave up searching for Pekoe and instead looking for a big black bird.

Jeff

Comment

One lump or Two?

Funny that one, Jeffrey,
                        Thanks.
                        Maybo Sidney Greenstreet not only changed occupations but changed his name too?

From Greentea to Greenstreet?
                        (That was a shocker that one, sorry Jeffrey).
                        JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Gad sir, I enjoy drinking my Long Island Ice Tea with a man who enjoys drinking his Long Island Ice Tea. Willmer, two glasses!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X