Reasons why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

In his Referee column of 13 July 1902, Dagonet (Sims)wrote: …[the] process of exhaustion which enabled them at last to know the real name and address of Jack the Ripper. In that case [the police] had reduced the only possible Jacks to seven, then by a further exhaustive inquiry to three, and were about to fit these three people’s movements in with the dates of the various murders when the one and only genuine Jack saved further trouble by being found drowned in the Thames, into which he had flung himself, a raving lunatic, after the last and most appalling mutilation of the whole series. But prior to this discovery the name of the man found drowned was bracketed with two others as a Possible Jack and the police were in search of him alive when they found him dead.

Inspector Du Rose made an almost identical claim about the London Nudes Murders.

He clamed to have narrowed down the pool of suspects to just three and that his prime suspect then committed suicide before he could arrest him.

The man who committed suicide was identified as Mungo Ireland, who was 10 to 15 years older than the man with whom one of the victims was seen shortly before her murder.

No policeman ever confirmed that Ireland was on any such short list.

In both murder cases, the suicide note made no reference to any murders.

Druitt's alludes to the date of his dismissal from his post at the school; Ireland was due to appear in court the next day for having failed to stop his car after being involved in a road traffic accident.

The claims made that Druitt and Ireland were suspected by the police during their lifetimes were, in both cases, fiction.

Comment

• Since he probably committed suicide around that time it would seem likely that he killed himself in reaction to his dismissal.

The most compelling evidence for Druitt's guilt is most certainly the fact that his own family apparently believed him to have been the murderer.

But, on closer inspection even this claim does not stand up to close scrutiny as it appears to be based on hearsay as opposed to hard evidence.

Macnaghten doesn't say that Druitt's family had any concrete proof that he was the ripper, but only states that they had their suspicions about him.

Those suspicions weren't necessarily correct. Furthermore, Macnaghten, apparently, didn't hear of their suspicions directly from the family but, to quote his own words:-

...from private information I have little doubt that his family believed him to be the ripper...

This private information may, therefore, have been little more than third hand hearsay.

The biggest objection to Druitt as a viable suspect is that Inspector Abberline most certainly didn't think he could have been the Ripper.

In an interview with the Pall Mall Gazette in 1903, Abberline is quoted as saying:-

I know all about that story. But what does it amount to? Simply this. Soon after the last murder in Whitechapel the body of a young doctor was found in the Thames, but there is absolutely nothing beyond the fact that he was found at that time to incriminate him.

(Richard Jones)

We look at major Jack the Ripper suspect Montague John Druitt and present the evidence for and against his guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kattrup View Post

Probably a good idea, Herlock.

I’m not even sure what the discussion is meant to accomplish.
        Druitt might not have been the ripper? Yeah, we know.
        Macnaghten’s info might not be correct? Yeah, we know.
        Any defense lawyer on Law&Order would object? Yeah, we know.

Druitt was named by a senior police official and will remain forever a person of ripperological interest.
        Summed up perfectly Kattrup. I’ve never understood why some have so much of an issue with this?
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

Inspector Du Rose made an almost identical claim about the London Nudes Murders.

He clamed to have narrowed down the pool of suspects to just three and that his prime suspect then committed suicide before he could arrest him.

The man who committed suicide was identified as Mungo Ireland, who was 10 to 15 years older than the man with whom one of the victims was seen shortly before her murder.

No policeman ever confirmed that Ireland was on any such short list.

In both murder cases, the suicide note made no reference to any murders.

Druitt's alludes to the date of his dismissal from his post at the school; Ireland was due to appear in court the next day for having failed to stop his car after being involved in a road traffic accident.

The claims made that Druitt and Ireland were suspected by the police during their lifetimes were, in both cases, fiction.
          You cannot prove that it was fiction so there’s no point in disputing what is simple a baseless supposition on your part.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Since he probably committed suicide around that time it would seem likely that he killed himself in reaction to his dismissal.

The most compelling evidence for Druitt's guilt is most certainly the fact that his own family apparently believed him to have been the murderer.

But, on closer inspection even this claim does not stand up to close scrutiny as it appears to be based on hearsay as opposed to hard evidence.

Macnaghten doesn't say that Druitt's family had any concrete proof that he was the ripper, but only states that they had their suspicions about him.

Those suspicions weren't necessarily correct. Furthermore, Macnaghten, apparently, didn't hear of their suspicions directly from the family but, to quote his own words:-

...from private information I have little doubt that his family believed him to be the ripper...

This private information may, therefore, have been little more than third hand hearsay.

The biggest objection to Druitt as a viable suspect is that Inspector Abberline most certainly didn't think he could have been the Ripper.

In an interview with the Pall Mall Gazette in 1903, Abberline is quoted as saying:-

I know all about that story. But what does it amount to? Simply this. Soon after the last murder in Whitechapel the body of a young doctor was found in the Thames, but there is absolutely nothing beyond the fact that he was found at that time to incriminate him.

(Richard Jones)

https://www.jack-the-ripper.org/druitt.htm
            And Richard Jones opinion carries weight because?
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

You cannot prove that it was fiction so there’s no point in disputing what is simple a baseless supposition on your part.

I think I can.

If Druitt had been a police suspect during his lifetime, then Abberline would have known about it.

Abberline's statement rules that possibility out.

If Ireland had been a police suspect during his lifetime, some corroboration would have come to light.

It has not.

Far from making a baseless supposition, I am making the only logical deduction that can reasonably be made from the evidence.

Comment

In that case, how convincing could the alleged private information have been?
                All the "private information" was, or all that the MM alleged it was, is a supposed belief or suspicion by Druitts family of his guilt in the Ripper cases. Thats it on Druitt. And yet years and years go by and people still cling to it as if it is something of substance. As it stands, it still isnt.

Comment

I think I can.

If Druitt had been a police suspect during his lifetime, then Abberline would have known about it.

Abberline's statement rules that possibility out.

If Ireland had been a police suspect during his lifetime, some corroboration would have come to light.

It has not.

Far from making a baseless supposition, I am making the only logical deduction that can reasonably be made from the evidence.
                  The opinion of a retired officer like Abberline isn’t relevant. You assume that he knew everything. Perhaps you think that Chapman was the ripper too?
                  Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 12-18-2023, 06:26 PM.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Any opinion on what made the family suspect Druitt is irrelevant. Speculation based on zero.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Any opinion on what made the family suspect Druitt is irrelevant. Speculation based on zero.
                      I actually agree with that. Only the source of the "private information" could answer that. What is relevant is the fact that Macnaughtens Memorandum didnt say that HE believed Druitt was a viable suspect. He included the name with 2 other people who he thought were more likely to be the murderer, rather than Cutbush. Comparatively.

Comment

The opinion of a retired officer like Abberline isn’t relevant. You assume that he knows or knew everything. Perhaps you think that Chapman was the ripper too?

I did not claim that his opinion is relevant to the question that was under discussion, namely, the claim made that Druitt was a suspect during his lifetime.

My point was that if Druitt had been a suspect during his lifetime, then Abberline would have known about it.

One must naturally assume that he would have known about it.

There is nothing wrong with assuming something to be true when the alternative is unbelievable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

Only the source of the "private information" could answer that.

That is, if there was any private information.

Even if Druitt's relatives had suspected that he was the murderer, it is unlikely that they would have spread the word about it.

And it is unlikely that they would have suspected him of having committed murder in Whitechapel at a time when he was on holiday in Dorset.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

I actually agree with that. Only the source of the "private information" could answer that. What is relevant is the fact that Macnaughtens Memorandum didnt say that HE believed Druitt was a viable suspect. He included the name with 2 other people who he thought were more likely to be the murderer, rather than Cutbush. Comparatively.
                            But he did say:

“Personally, after much careful & deliberate consideration, I am inclined to exonerate the last 2 but I have always held strong opinions regarding no 1., and the more I think the matter over, the stronger do these opinions become. The truth, however, will never be known, and did indeed, at one time lie at the bottom of the Thames, if my conjections [sic] be correct.”
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Even if Druitt's relatives had suspected that he was the murderer, it is unlikely that they would have spread the word about it.

And it is unlikely that they would have suspected him of having committed murder in Whitechapel at a time when he was on holiday in Dorset.
                              I doubt that it was their intention to take out a full page ad in the newspaper but a couple of drinks too many could have led to an inadvertent slip. It is also possible that the person receiving the information drew an inference that was not intended and not warranted. We simply don't know.

c.d.

Comment

"Spread the word" probably isnt appropriate anyway, being mentioned in a discreet private conversation with someone named Druitt is more probable. This was a time when Senior Police and the upper crust mingled and swapped stories. It seems one was from a Druitt about his suspicions.

Comment

Working...
                                X