Broadmoor Archives finally open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was that a jobbing joke, Debs?

Yes, I gave an inward groan at the sight of Bone for I knew that finding it in the archives would be a nightmare. You could say that the Bone is buried somewhere.

Comment

• I have a full listing of Tea Brokers and Dealers from the 1884 Business Directory of London
      This runs to 4 small print pages and is too large to post here but if anyone wants a copy let me know
      Chris

Comment

• Thomas Bone was still running the same business at the same address in 1891
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra A View Post
          Hi Vigilantee,
          Also, as well as Robert's examples, you only have to check the descendants tree I posted the link for to see how many of Luke Flood's descendants through the female lines were given the name Flood as a middle name.

Well yes, the 'Thomasine' Cutbushes often used this differentiation technique, and it became a habit with some. Robert's other Victorian names are interesting too. But as the Cutbushes had overseas links (the Haynes were American, TTC in Australia etc) I still suspect its a habit invented by colonials (ignore 1779 it was just a hickup )). It probably also caught on among those whose friends had colonial relatives too, and may have become a fashion in some circles. I doubt it appears before the late 17th century. All of which is an interesting social history study, but I'm not drawing any important conclusions from it, so its not important.

On the other issue, what is peoples opinion regarding the newspaper reports placing THC in a Whitechapel company in July 1888 (when he attacked the old man) and allegedly stayed there after Nov?

Comment

• Hi Vigilantee

I should say that although Kate Hayne was born in Philadelphia, her parents came from Oxfordshire. The father I think was a merchant and presumably this led to their presence in the US at the time of Kate's birth.

Chris, re your directory : yes please. I'll PM you my email address.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Stephen Thomas;53324]From the Sun articles Feb 16th 1894

The man's eyes had a morbid fascination for me......dull, vacant, unconscious of life or care or hope. They were not ferocious but simply stolid, like the glass eyes of a wax figure. They implied to me that in such a man all actions were possible, that to their owner it was as simple a thing to put a knife upon a human throat as upon a piece of thick twist tobacco. As we gazed at him we wondered whether awful visions of the past did not at times flit across his brain and twinge with horror that impassive face - visions of squalid, ill lighted streets and alleys, with draggle haired women, of whispered consultations, of sudden stabbing and hacking at palpitating bodies, of hair breadth escapes from capture, and mad races for life through the darkness QUOTE]

I've had students that fit this description.
              Joan

I ain't no student of ancient culture. Before I talk, I should read a book. -- The B52s

Comment

• Hi Robert
                got your message and I've just sent them
                Chris

Comment

• regarding The Minories

The Minories is really just a continuation of the road named "Houndsditch"----it is separated from Houndsditch by the main High Street that runs across it [ie where "Aldgate" meets "Aldgate High Street" ]It is therefore very close indeed to Mitre Square and I have wondered whether Macnaghten was in fact talking about the Mitre Square "Kearley and Tongue " Tea warehouse that was there when he said Cutbush worked as a clerk in The Minories?
                  Houndsditch seems to have been where Thomas Cutbush shopped -its where he bought one of his knives and am I correct in thinking he bought another of his knives in The Minories?
                  Norma
                  Last edited by Natalie Severn; 11-25-2008, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• Got them, Chris, thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      Hi Vigilantee

I should say that although Kate Hayne was born in Philadelphia, her parents came from Oxfordshire. The father I think was a merchant and presumably this led to their presence in the US at the time of Kate's birth.
                      Well quite a few of them did originally!

Comment

• The Reading library holds a collection of Francis Frith photos of Broadmoor.

Sink the Bismark

Comment

• Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                          The Minories is really just a continuation of the road named "Houndsditch"----it is separated from Houndsditch by the main High Street that runs across it [ie where "Aldgate" meets "Aldgate High Street" ]It is therefore very close indeed to Mitre Square and I have wondered whether Macnaghten was in fact talking about the Mitre Square "Kearley and Tongue " Tea warehouse that was there when he said Cutbush worked as a clerk in The Minories?
                          Houndsditch seems to have been where Thomas Cutbush shopped -its where he bought one of his knives and am I correct in thinking he bought another of his knives in The Minories?
                          Norma
                          Nats,

Given that the space between Minories and Crutched Friars consisted mainly of Tea WHs, I consider this to be a bit of a stretch.

The Knife discussed in the Lloyd's piece (3rd May 1891) was bought in Union Row, Minories on the 7th of March.
                          Whether they're different knives or whether MacNaghten just got the place (Houndsditch) and the time (Feb '91) wrong and we're talking about the same knife is anybody's guess .

/jake
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Jake L; 11-26-2008, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                            The Reading library holds a collection of Francis Frith photos of Broadmoor.
                            Here are a couple of good'uns.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Jake L View Post
                              Nats,

Given that the space between Minories and Crutched Friars consisted mainly of Tea WHs, I consider this to be a bit of a stretch.

The Knife discussed in the Lloyd's piece (3rd May 1891) was bought in Union Row, Minories on the 7th of March.
                              Whether they're different knives or whether MacNaghten just got the place (Houndsditch) and the time (Feb '91) wrong and we're talking about the same knife is anybody's guess .

/jake
                              Jake,point accepted The visuals are great,many thanks for these.

Comment

• Great pictures Jake...do you recon they were taken 2 and a quarter or on Plate camera?

Comment

Working...
                                X