No announcement yet.

Broadmoor Archives finally open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know, AP. But it might I suppose conceivably have led to his being taken as Jewish, as THC claimed that he once was, in a pub.

Certainly there is no mention of a facial deformity, so his "terrible" or "singular" appearance was probably the result of girning and suchlike habits caused by his insanity.

Comment

Just regarding his complexion.One of the first women to be attacked over Mile End way ,[Mile End ofcourse was where Cutbush referred to in the context of the police "wanting him for the Mile End job"]this woman described the man who attacked her as having a "sunburnt complexion".Some sort of discolouration may have been caused by his skin condition which seems to have caused unusual redness ,especially as he was so selfconscious about it and kept treating it with various lotions and medication.

Comment

Nats, I'm wondering if this could have been a case of delayed puberty/delayed acne. I don't know if such things are possible.

Comment

He may have had condition called rosacea. It can be pretty brutal on the skin, and I would imagine they wouldn't have had much to relieve symptoms in 1888.

Comment

Hi Brenda

Is it transitory, because there is apparently no mention of it in the Broadmoor notes on his appearance, though I will have the full records before Christmas.

Comment

Just a quick note. I gather that the Broadmoor files relate only to Cutbush...

a longer wait for those interested in James Kelly.

Pirate

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
                Just a quick note. I gather that the Broadmoor files relate only to Cutbush...

a longer wait for those interested in James Kelly.

Pirate
                What did you say that for,Jeff?

Comment

News of the World, 7th October 1888:
                  'said to have dark complexion, general appearance was that of a clerk.'
                  Police Gazette, 19th October 1888:
                  '5' 8'', complexion dark.'
                  Evening Standard, 19th September 1888:
                  'dark complexion'.
                  Pall Mall Gazette, 6th October 1888:
                  'dark complexion, steel grey eyes'.
                  Wilmslow Advertiser, 19th July 1889:
                  'dark complexion, 5' 9''.'
                  The Sun, 14th February 1894:
                  (quoting a City Police report of October 2nd 1888)
                  '28, slight, 5' 8'', dark complexion.'

Comment

Hi Nat

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that The broadmoor files becoming open would shed some new light on both Cutbush and Kelly...

I understand that only three Cutbush files were available one of which contain mainly recent requests...

Cutbush's family didn't think him guilty, indeed he may have had an alibi..

But my point was simply that no broadmoor files relating to Kelly are included in the recent files made available

Pirate

Comment

The evidence certainly seems to be stacking up against Cutbush, but one thing I'm having trouble getting my head around is I understand Cutbush was committed in 1891 while Mary Kelly was killed in 1888. I find it hard to believe that the maniac who so horribly murdered those women in 1888, including completely butchering MJK, was so sated by the act he did nothing for 2 years. Is this possible? I'm no expert on the criminally insane perhaps other members know of other cases where this has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by brummie View Post
                        The evidence certainly seems to be stacking up against Cutbush, but one thing I'm having trouble getting my head around is I understand Cutbush was committed in 1891 while Mary Kelly was killed in 1888. I find it hard to believe that the maniac who so horribly murdered those women in 1888, including completely butchering MJK, was so sated by the act he did nothing for 2 years. Is this possible? I'm no expert on the criminally insane perhaps other members know of other cases where this has happened.
                        Well yes the other obvious example is one 'Aron Kosminski' ?

But certainly when you look at the murder of Mary Jane Kelly

I, for one, am happier with suspects like Kosminski, Cutbush and Kelly

Than I am with Druit, Tumbelty or Sickert.

We are after all, looking for, a local man who was sexually insane.

Pirate

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                          Hi Brenda

Is it transitory, because there is apparently no mention of it in the Broadmoor notes on his appearance, though I will have the full records before Christmas.
                          Hi Robert,
                          I wouldn't classify rosacea as "transitory", it sort of waxes and wanes depending on the level of irritation. But even in a controlled state, there is still a blotchy or ruddy appearance to the skin. You would be able to look at someone with it and know that they had skin problems. There are a lot of drugs and creams nowadays that help keep inflammations in check. Its somewhat rare these days to see someone totally ravaged and sufferering from it as someone from the previous century would had to deal with.

Comment

Thanks, Brenda. He apparently spent a lot of time looking at himself in a mirror - maybe to see if the cream was working.

Comment

A 'Cutbush Pitty Limit' check maybe
                              'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by Brenda View Post
                                Hi Robert,
                                I wouldn't classify rosacea as "transitory", it sort of waxes and wanes depending on the level of irritation. But even in a controlled state, there is still a blotchy or ruddy appearance to the skin. You would be able to look at someone with it and know that they had skin problems. There are a lot of drugs and creams nowadays that help keep inflammations in check. Its somewhat rare these days to see someone totally ravaged and sufferering from it as someone from the previous century would had to deal with.
                                Did anyone see a feature on TV about skin tourism. Apparently there is a spar in Turkey where you lay in a pool and tiny fish eat the dead skin off your body...It is apparently the best cure for Sarriasis (sorry cant spell this word) However man eating fish are apparently the cure..

No i'm not making this up

Pirate
                                Last edited by Jeff Leahy; 11-22-2008, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X