Broadmoor Archives finally open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He replied, "Oh, you booby!
    That always makes me lol. I wonder if that's what he really said, I'm assuming that's the same as him calling her a tit.

Comment

• It's probably a reference to the bird, and would have been quite harmless. Of course, whether this innocuous term was substituted for something stronger is another matter. PC Watkins, on finding the body of Eddowes, is supposed to have said "Oh dear."

Comment

• Yes, but he went for "pig" as he got hold of Morris - maybe because he was not dogged enough to bear the sight ...?

The best,
        Fish-erman

Comment

• What I find interesting is that in one of the articles it says Johnson (the victim) was stabbed from behind and didn't get a look at his face, and then further down, she goes to the asylum and identifies him.

Let all Oz be agreed;
          I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

• And the Times speaks of "another young lady who had been stabbed by the prisoner" - before any trial could take place.

Comment

• Physical Descriptions

For those with access to the Broadmoor data:

Does the data from Broadmoor contain detailed physical descriptions of the various suspects domiciled there?

If so it might be possible to correlate with the eyewitness descriptions?

Comment

• Originally posted by diana View Post
                Does the data from Broadmoor contain detailed physical descriptions of the various suspects domiciled there?

If so it might be possible to correlate with the eyewitness descriptions?
                ... only of those seen wearing Napoleon-style hats
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Diana, there is a description of Cutbush. That's the only one I can speak about.

Comment

• What is everyone's opinion on the writing in the Broadmoor Files stating that Cutbush used bad language and threatened to rip up staff and other patients. ?
                    Maybe a common thing to say in 1891..but maybe not.
                    It did immediately catch my eye i have to say.

Comment

• Halomanuk writes:

"Maybe a common thing to say in 1891"

You bet, Halomanuk! And that is MY opinion.

the best,
                      Fisherman

Comment

• It will be interesting to see if Richard Jones and Paul Begg can dig anything else out on this as he is a fascinating suspect and as soon as i see 'rip' mentioned in any official document from that period i need to know more !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                          Diana, there is a description of Cutbush. That's the only one I can speak about.

Robert can you quote this?
                          (forgive me if you've already done so, but I don't remember reading a verbatim description)

Comment

• Hi Sara

Height 5 feet 9 and a half inches
                            Weight 9st 6 and a half lb
                            Hair black
                            Whiskers black (very short)
                            Eyes dark blue (very sharp)
                            Complexion dark
                            Build slight
                            Features thin

Marks
                            Slight bruise on left knee
                            1 tooth out in front of upper jaw

And he is described as "strange" or "singular" or "terrible" in appearance whether he is at home or in court or in Broadmoor.

Comment

• Thanks a lot for that Robert - it coincides nicely with my mental picture in fact!
                              Interesting that someone so small is consistently described as 'terrible' or at least 'singular' in his aspect isn't it?

Comment

• Didn't the inmates (I guess that's what you'd call 'em) have their photos taken at the insane asylums or anything? I know Hyam Hyams did at some point, and wondered if the same could be said for Cutbush.

Comment

Working...
                                X