No announcement yet.

Assessing the case against W.H.Bury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dundee flat graffiti as reproduced in both Macpherson and Beadle's books...

I would suggest that the "back of this door" graffiti looks to be in a more mature hand than the "sellar" graffiti..
    Attached Files

Comment

I was in Bromley Public Hall today obtaining some certificates and made some observations that had a bearing on previous discussions here about overlapping place names.
      Bromley Public Hall is currently the Register Office for Tower Hamlets and holds all the birth, death and marriage certificates for that borough and the boroughs that were merged into it. It can be found at Bow Road E3 3AA, on the south side near the Bow flyover (nearest tube station Bow Road - turn right on exit)
      Attached Files

Comment

(I can only stick one picture per page!)
        Inside are glass doors etched ‘Poplar Borough Council’ which was created in 1900 and incorporated most of what we would call Bow. Bromley Public Hall was used as council offices. In 1938 a new Poplar Town Hall was built on the other side of the road. The old one was on Poplar High Street in Poplar ‘proper’. When Poplar became part of Tower Hamlets in 1965, the Town Hall on Bow Road became known as Poplar Civic, but it is now a scruffy business centre. The photo of Bromley Public Hall above was taken with my back to Poplar Civic.
        Attached Files

Comment

This area used to be in the Parish of Bromley St Leonard. Inside Bromley Public Hall are two large plaques commemorating the local benefactors of the poor.
          Attached Files

Comment

They were erected in 1888...
            Attached Files

Comment

But the area was also commonly known as Bromley-by-Bow as is seen in this inscription put up in 1929.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by johns View Post
                The Dundee flat graffiti as reproduced in both Macpherson and Beadle's books...

I would suggest that the "back of this door" graffiti looks to be in a more mature hand than the "sellar" graffiti..
                They do appear to be written in different hands -- and that's the opinion of someone who know NOTHING about such things. The R's are what appear most different to me.

On the other hand, when I'm extremely stressed or upset, my own handwriting varies drastically. so, who can say?

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
                  They do appear to be written in different hands -- and that's the opinion of someone who know NOTHING about such things. The R's are what appear most different to me.

On the other hand, when I'm extremely stressed or upset, my own handwriting varies drastically. so, who can say?
                  Also, it would be interesting to know if they were written with the same material -- both chalk? Paint? what?

curious

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
                    Also, it would be interesting to know if they were written with the same material -- both chalk? Paint? what?

curious
                    According to both Beadle and MacPherson's books, the 2 sets of graffiti in Dundee were chalked on.

MacPherson on page 190
                    Beadle on pages 248-249

Comment

• Originally posted by curious View Post

Ellen Bury's sister Margaret indicated that William Bury could write in "several hands." (Beadle, Jack the Ripper Unmasked, 2009, p.228).
                      “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
                      http://www.williambury.org

Comment

• Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                        Sorry for the delay. Once I get in amongst my books, I'm gone. I invariably stumble across things that I forgot I owned and get distracted.

Anyway, it took me a while to find, but Macpherson (at pp. 30-31) quotes the Dundee Advertiser. Its account says, in part:
                        The back premises are led to by a dirty stair, at the foot of which on an old door is the following written in chalk - Jack Ripper [sic] is at the back of this door. At the back of this door, and just at the turn of the stair, there is the inscription - Jack Ripper is in this seller [sic]. The handwriting is apparently that of a boy and the authorities will probably attach little importance to it.

Sounds as though Hatchett is dead on the money.

Note to Macpherson's publishers (Mainstream Publishing): For heaven's sake, next time you produce a book, spend a bit more and hire an indexer.
                        I totally share your sentiments about publishers (and authors) ALWAYS engaging an indexer. But Ken - I remember I sent you a copy of my index to Macpherson's book, which would have enabled you to find the references to the graffiti at Princes Street in seconds ! (pages 31-32 , 190, 192).

I have a few copies remaining. If anyone wants a free copy, please send me a private message with your address. Euan did tell me that if his book ever gets re-published it will be with my index attached...
                        A true crime book without an index is itself a crime.

Comment

• I also wanted to mention that Bury was a known forger. It was therefore within his demonstrated range of behavior to have chalked these messages and made them appear as though schoolboys or someone else had written them. The Goulston Street graffito of course was described as having been written in a schoolboy hand.
                          “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
                          http://www.williambury.org

Comment

• Originally posted by dag View Post
                            I totally share your sentiments about publishers (and authors) ALWAYS engaging an indexer. But Ken - I remember I sent you a copy of my index to Macpherson's book, which would have enabled you to find the references to the graffiti at Princes Street in seconds ! (pages 31-32 , 190, 192).

I have a few copies remaining. If anyone wants a free copy, please send me a private message with your address. Euan did tell me that if his book ever gets re-published it will be with my index attached...
                            Quite right, David. At the time I overlooked your excellent index, even though it was sitting on the shelf right next to Macpherson's book. Thanks again for sending it to me.

Comment

• If the poice had taken photo's of the original east end grafitti, they could of compared it to the grafitti in Scotland, it may of been the breakthrough in the case, if Bury was our man.

Comment

• I'd be very surprised if chalk writing on a wall would betray any idiosyncracies of handwriting.
                                When you write on paper it is generally your finger movements because the words are so small. Yet with chalk the characters are neccesarily larger requiring wrist movement while your fingers remain typically rigid.

Regards, Jon S.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X