Bury and Rev Gough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bury and Rev Gough

Found this on a website without a source given (DD Tours - Exploring the stories of Dundee's history) does anyone know if true? If so, interesting early example of Bury using a knife to obtain money. It was the Rev Gough that took Bury's confession to Ellen's murder and he also described his old school enemy as 'very intelligent'. Parts of this a clearly wrong as Bury's father was a fishmonger and long dead by the time he was ten. I believe that part about them being at school together is true though.

On the same day that they moved to Princes Street, Bury paid a visit to St Paul’s Cathedral in Dundee, where he came face to face with a childhood enemy. Edward Gough grew up in Stourbridge with Bury, but under extremely different circumstances. Whilst Gough came from an upper class background, Bury did not. As a young child of ten years old, Bury stabbed Gough with one of Bury’s father’s slaughterhouse knives, and stole his money. The wound was non-fatal, but the bitterness towards the two was palpable. Despite his initial shock, Bury made an attempt to reconcile with Gough, who was now the Reverend of St Paul’s Cathedral. Initially, Gough was hesitant, but the two appeared to patch things up, with Gough even visiting the Bury's in their basement squat.

I suppose a short tempered angry man like Bury has his roots in a short tempered angry child, so something like this could well be true, given his later liking for pocket knives.

Is there any way to get free access to the British Newspaper Archive as I suspect story is from the Dundee Courier?

Comment

Working...
    X