Bury's drinking habits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bury's drinking habits

Another interesting article from Mr Earp here: http://williambury.org/blog6/2022/02...y-and-alcohol/

As reported in the Dundee Courier it seems that Bury was in fact a 'jolly fellow' when drinking in Dundee, talking to everyone and buying drinks, boasting of his money. To quote Mr Earp 'If Bury behaved like this in the pubs of Whitechapel, it’s not hard to see how he could have become well-known and a popular figure there. Fellow drinkers, including alcoholic prostitutes in the area, would have been drawn to him'.

What I take from the full article is something I mentioned in my original post on Bury - 'the plausible customer'. Small, nonthreatening stature, respectable dress, everyone's friend in the pub, buying drinks, the jolly fellow. No one would suspect him and, as Earp suggests, victims may well have thought him a safe bet to go into a quite corner with at the height of the ripper scare.

Someone asked whether Koz was still the best suspect - would eddowes or Kelly have taken a seeming oddball like koz into the dark of mitre square or back to her own flat at the height of the scare? Don't think so.

Originally posted by Aethelwulf View Post
    Another interesting article from Mr Earp here: http://williambury.org/blog6/2022/02...y-and-alcohol/

As reported in the Dundee Courier it seems that Bury was in fact a 'jolly fellow' when drinking in Dundee, talking to everyone and buying drinks, boasting of his money. To quote Mr Earp 'If Bury behaved like this in the pubs of Whitechapel, it’s not hard to see how he could have become well-known and a popular figure there. Fellow drinkers, including alcoholic prostitutes in the area, would have been drawn to him'.

What I take from the full article is something I mentioned in my original post on Bury - 'the plausible customer'. Small, nonthreatening stature, respectable dress, everyone's friend in the pub, buying drinks, the jolly fellow. No one would suspect him and, as Earp suggests, victims may well have thought him a safe bet to go into a quite corner with at the height of the ripper scare.

Someone asked whether Koz was still the best suspect - would eddowes or Kelly have taken a seeming oddball like koz into the dark of mitre square or back to her own flat at the height of the scare? Don't think so.
    me neither. Its hard to imagine any of them would. plus with the shout of lipski and the gsg disparaging jews, i doubt a jewish ripper (koz)would do that.

Comment

eddowes or Kelly have taken a seeming oddball like koz
      In the newspapers a lot of the commentary was that the suspect was foreign/ Jewish.
      I dont read this as being motivated by xenophobia ([ie No British born chap would do such a thing! what?!) - But rather I think it was what some of the witnesses were saying after Chapman and the double event.

Desperate as their situation was, I agree that at this height of the murders they would only have gone with people the felt comfortable with, or knew before.
      Farmers attacker seemed to spend a lot of time with her prior to the attempted murder, and she knew him previously.

That said, the local police at the time thought it was a foreign born Jew, someone like Koz and he was a feasible client, and they had a better idea of the circumstances.

Comment

thanks for this link will have a good read, glad hes still working on this.

Comment

Working...
        X