Through the keyhole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Through the keyhole

An inventory of items found in William Burys House while is was detained in custody. (dosent include what he was wearing at the time).

To recap - Not much to go on but just for fun we are looking for kind of the following items - (regardless of whether the witnesses were right or wrong)

Ada Wilson - dark coat, light trousers, and wideawake hat. Clasp knife
    Tabram - Clasp knife
    Elizabeth Long - brown hat turned up at the side. It was a brown "deerstalker."
    Chapman - 2 bronze finger rings were stolen
    William Marshall - A round cap with a sort of peak to it; something like what a sailor would wear. Short black cutaway coat.
    PC Smith - a dark felt deerstalker hat with dark clothes. He had on a kind of "cutaway" coat.
    Israel Schwartz - He is dressed in an overcoat and an old black felt hat with a wide brim - (another newspaper) dark jacket, trousers black, cap with a peak
    Brown - I noticed the man had a long coat on, which came very nearly down to his heels. I believe it was an overcoat. I could not say what kind of cap he had on.
    Lawende - pepper & salt colour loose jacket, grey cloth cap with peak of same colour, reddish handkerchief tied in a knot, round neck, appearance of a sailor
    Cox - shabbily dressed in a long overcoat and a billycock hat carrying a pail of beer.
    Hutchinson (my favourite ) The man is wearing a soft felt hat pulled down over his eyes, a long dark coat trimmed in astrakhan fur, a white collar with a black necktie fixed with a horseshoe pin. He wears dark spats over light button over boots. A massive gold chain is in his waistcoat with a large seal with a red stone hanging from it. He carries kid gloves in his right hand and a small package in his left.
    Caroline Maxwell - the man seen with Kelly was wearing 'dark clothes and a sort of plaid coat'

- Hopefully this will be clear enough when ive uploaded it.
    Anyone see any of these items? anyone have any other thoughts?
    Attached Files

Page 1
    Attached Files

Comment

Page 2
      Attached Files

Comment

Page 3
        Attached Files

Comment

Page 4
          Attached Files

Comment

Page 5 (NB the pad locked chest was also noted by one of Burys neighbours- which leads me to think that they thought it was a bit odd)
            Later they found the lether belt inside it was bloodstained and also a handkerchief was blood stained as well and these were added to the exhibits for his trial. Curious i think.
            Attached Files

Comment

Page 6 - sorry its this one with the padlocked chest
              Attached Files

Comment

last page!

PS i did ask them for permission in case anyone was wondering!
                Attached Files

Comment

Well done Boggles! I'm really enjoying these documents. One thought was the baby clothes..........

Why did Ellen have worn baby clothes (which I presume were given to her in London, since she didn't go out much after the first week or so in Dundee). I presume a friend gave them to her, as she thought she was pregnant....... or planning to be?

Thomas Coram found a blood-stained knife, (dried blood), on the doorstep of a laundry at 252 Whitechapel Road near where a policeman said he helped a man with a horse, (Bury's horse suffered from glanders). Is that what happened to Bury's clasp knife? I see a table knife and a pen knife listed but no clasp knife.

Comment

Thanks for posting those Boggle

There are a couple of finger rings, a clasp knife and the like

I remember his wife had an ulster coat which sounded like that of Nichols

What caught my eye there was a sovereign holder and a bag of farthings

One of the first suspects was a man who polished farthings and passed them off as sovereigns

Comment

It puts paid to some speculation I came across in which Bury didn't pack anything in the boxes when he left London

Comment

Clasp Knife?

Hi Eileen

Pretty sure it wasn't a clasp knife found on that doorstep...In The Times account of the Stride inquest it was described as a long-bladed knife...the coroner stated "The blade of the knife is dagger-shaped and is sharpened on one side. The blade is about 9in or 10in long I should say"

Nice try though!

Dave
                        Last edited by Cogidubnus; 11-14-2012, 12:37 AM.

Comment

The clasp knife I mentioned is the pocket knife with two blades and a white handle at the top in post 3

You amy have noticed the listing "Tin box-empty"

Comment

Why did Ellen have worn baby clothes
                            I thought you would be the one to notice this. Good question, no idea. A lot of things were second hand (see the books).

Is that what happened to Bury's clasp knife?
                            No Corum found a long bladed knife, not a clasp knife. There is some talk of it during the inquests. Horse fell down - knife appeared. Route back to Bow.
                            Knife was very sharp but blunted. DR Phillips states it could have been the murder weapon but not the one he would have used.

So it is not the same knife that (for instance) Corney States in the trial notes that Bury slept with under his pillow. Clasp knife = pen knife - i see two of these in his house.

There are a couple of finger rings
                            Good shout Nemo was wondering who was the first to notice this. Inferior metal (possibly bronze?) Locked up with the blood stained items. Cant say they were Chapmans of course but you know...

at caught my eye there was a sovereign holder and a bag of farthings
                            Tell me more please

Comment

He has a lot more books than I'd have expected.

He's got one book "Litany" inscribed to his murdered wife under her maiden name, 'Ellen Elliott', by her brother George, as well as another to Harriet Elliot (a sister?). That means nothing, I'm sure, but it's interesting to me to see those little details.
                              - Ginger

Comment

Working...
                              X