No announcement yet.

Bury's handwriting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What occurs to me though is what a generally well formed hand it is for the son of a rural fishmonger
    Would that be a well formed good round schoolboy hand Dave?

Comment

Doesn't look particularly round or schoolboyish to me Boggles...nor does it look like that of someone who'd mis-spell juwes... or cellar...or drop his definite articles for that matter!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
        "solemnly State"..."Almighty"...sorry I can see where you're coming from but am not quite convinced!
        Dave, you must not have had your Bible out for a while. The Almighty, God Almighty and Almighty God are all capitalized in the King James Bible. It is a proper name. And there is no reason at all to regard the "s" in "state" as a capital letter. In both "Street" and "Strangulation" the "S" rises above the adjacent "t." Further, we already know that Bury at times writes large lower-case letters. Apart from "Strangulation," the only words that are capitalized in the letter are words that we would normally expect to be capitalized. "Strangulation" stands out, and it's worth mentioning that. That Bury misspelled this word might or might not mean anything, but it should also be pointed out.
        “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
        http://www.williambury.org

Comment

Hi Wyatt

We'll have to agree to differ then, because I'm afraid I do see evidence of misplaced capitals...these are not uncommon in the semi-literate (my own mother, from a very poor background in Wapping, was of this ilk and could write fairly presentably, but made elementary mistakes, such as this, throughout)...

To be fair, I must confess the combination of this characteristic with SUCH a tidy hand did give me to think...but I'll stick with my first instincts I think...it would be great if other examples turned up to confirm or otherwise...but that's probably asking for the moon!

Every good wish

Dave

Comment

...or drop his definite articles for that matter!
            well i personally wouldnt put anything past him, GSG, PSG, most of the ripper
            letters, the whole bloody lot, but thats with my suspect orientated tinted glasses on

examples turned up to confirm or otherwise...but that's probably asking for the moon!
            not at all old boy, I have a copy of - 1) letter to Ellens sister which I am sure he wrote, 2) a fake letter of employment - which we are almost sure he wrote - albieit the hand is kind of different 3) some court statement i only just found which looks like his as well. Will upload them over the next few hours so watch this space.

Comment

1 - letter written by Bury to Margaret Corney Jan 21 1889

from the trial notes regarding this letter Corney states

''it bears to be from my sister to me, but is not in her writing - it is in the prisoners hand, and is dated from Union Street Dundee''
              Attached Files

Comment

i should just add that i photoed these as my scanner is rubbish so some of the slant is due to the reproduction but not all

Comment

Boggles, thanks a lot for posting these. You and John S. are doing yeoman work in this thread.
                  “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
                  http://www.williambury.org

Comment

2 - letter of employment (forged)

Letter of agreement of employment in Dundee. In the trial notes partner of Malcolm Oglivie & Co, David Malcolm confirms it is a forgery.

In the suspect books its generally recognised that it was written by Bury, but i dont know exactly where the primary evidence for this is. The signature is certinaly his.
                    Attached Files

Comment

im afraid number 3 - the declaration of innocence will have to wait a while as ive managed to misplace it, will attach later

Comment

Nice work Boggles. Thanks

Comment

Thank you Boggles...the letter to his sister alone provides several examples of random capitalising - "Room" for example is difficult to deny - I'm sorry Wyatt, but I think that's "case proven m'lud"

All the best

Dave

PS To say I'm delighted that someone's doing all this research on the subject, would be an understatement...thank you indeed!
                          Last edited by Cogidubnus; 11-09-2012, 11:10 PM. Reason: PS added...

Comment

I'm delighted that someone's doing all this research on the subject
                            hey no worries, my pleasure. In actual fact i just upload things as im too lazy to do good solid research that others have done about bury, but i dont mind taking credit haha.

He seems to get all excited when he writes the word "strangulation." Look how large the letter "s" is compared to that letter in other words
                            Wyatt i have my reasons for liking the randoms capitals, which i may tell you about if you only wait a whil longer. In the meanwhile whats your thoughts on the other letters - the address London E looks kind of sinister dont you think?
                            Last edited by Boggles; 11-10-2012, 01:20 AM.

Comment

3. Declaration of innocence

I first thought this was bury's writing in this declaration but was proabbly wrong based on the attached newspaper snippet it may be the sherrifs decalration who was in attendence and Bury just dictated and did the signature. But i attach in case i am wrong and for general interest
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Boggles; 11-12-2012, 09:13 PM.

Comment

The Sheriff's hand

Hi Boggles

I think you must be right about that last document...it's nothing like the letter...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X