No announcement yet.

Bury and the GSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps the graffiti was the reason for the fight between Bury and his wife?

Ellen appeared to know more than she was saying, from the moment she arrived in Dundee. She may have threatened to expose him as JtR, she hinted that she knew more when talking to the locals, ie; JtR is quiet now....... or JtR is taking a rest etc

Maybe she went too far writing the graffiti. We know Bury wrote well enough so it wasn't him. She was the only person who knew the truth.

Comment

Im glad this subject has come up. Ive always seen it as a another potential behavioural link Bury with a JTR crime scene Good shout Wyatt

The GSG I would argue that it was genuine. There was a bloodstained rag directly under it belonging to the victim, the killer had every reason to be pissed off with Jews, you can generally tell fresh chalk from old chalk in a damp Autumn night and im not convinced that every part of the streets were littered with graffiti.

The police at the time were very convinced that it was written by the murderer and thats good enough for me.

As for the basement graffiti - i think we need to get a clearer understanding of the layout of these old terraces, Was it hard for someone to get to where the writing was? could it only have been one of the burys? i dont know but regarding the motive - as most detectives know, criminals do odd things after they have just committed crimes, from the exhilaration of it all. It does sound rather creepy dosent it, and at the end of the day if it was him it was no less than a confession of sorts.

Comment

headed to the same place on the same night?
        Good point - which way was the killer was heading? towards George yard by any chance?

Comment

Thought i would stop being lazy and check myself.

And it turns out that if you wanted to go to the George yard area from Mitre square while avoiding the main thoroughfare of Aldgate & Whitechapel high street then via Goulston street is one of the best ways - then onto Wentworth Street.

I should just point out that while we Bury accusors like George yard as a likely bolt hole for bury but there is no tangailble evidence linking Bury to George yard.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Boggles; 10-20-2012, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Just a quick summary of where we’re at with Bury and the GSG.

There is specific evidence to support the contention that Bury was a chalker of messages. The two Princes Street chalkings, one at the turn of the stair leading to the back door of the residence, and the other on the back door itself, each contain an identical pattern of i-dots; the i-dot is absent from the word “Ripper” in each message, but is present in every other instance. This suggests that the two messages were written by the same person. There would have been no reason for a schoolboy to chalk the messages in the two different hands that are in evidence in the messages, nor would there have been any reason for Ellen Bury to do so.

There is specific evidence that Bury would deliberately misspell words. In the GSG, Jews is misspelled as "Juwes." In his confession letter, Bury spells strangulation as “stranglation” and in the Ogilvy letter, he bizarrely spells Ogily as “Egilvy” at the end of the letter. One of the Princes Street chalkings also contains a misspelling, where cellar is misspelled as “seller.”

There is specific evidence that Bury would capitalize words that would not ordinarily be capitalized. We see this in the GSG, where “blamed” is capitalized in the Warren transcription, and we see this behavior throughout Bury’s handwriting samples.

There is specific evidence that Bury was a “shifter of blame.” Obviously there are different ways of reading the GSG, but one frequently offered way is that its author was blaming “the Juwes” for the murder of Eddowes—he had been interrupted, or forced into a hurried murder, by the appearance of a Jewish person at the scene with Stride. In his confession letter Bury shifts the blame for Ellen’s murder to Ellen herself—the reason for the murder concerns “the character” of his wife—and on the day of his execution he blames the people who gave “false evidence” against him at his trial for his conviction (Macpherson, p.103).

I know we have a lot of GSG skeptics here, but I think that all of these connection points in combination with each other should certainly be of interest.
            Last edited by Wyatt Earp; 04-14-2015, 05:29 AM.
            “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
            http://www.williambury.org

Comment

Another point of agreement between the GSG and the two Princes Street chalkings is that in all cases we have a one-sentence message that is split into sub-units which are then stacked on top of each other:

The Juwes are
              The men that
              Will not
              be Blamed
              for nothing

Jack
              Ripper
              is in this
              seller

Jack Ripper
              is at the back
              of this door

These sentences are not very long and presumably all could have been written in a single line.
              “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
                Another point of agreement between the GSG and the two Princes Street chalkings is that in all cases we have a one-sentence message that is split into sub-units which are then stacked on top of each other:

The Juwes are
                The men that
                Will not
                be Blamed
                for nothing

Jack
                Ripper
                is in this
                seller

Jack Ripper
                is at the back
                of this door

These sentences are not very long and presumably all could have been written in a single line.
                I doubt the GSG could be written on one line on One Brick.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                  I doubt the GSG could be written on one line on One Brick.
                  I believe the letters of the GSG were very small.

Certainly it would not have been necessary, because of a space limitation, to split the sentence into five discrete units.

Also, nothing in principle would have prevented its author from writing it on a single line and crossing bricks, if necessary.

Comment

One other thing: lines 3 and 5 of the Warren transcription of the GSG are both indented. Line 4 of the “seller” chalking at Princes Street is similarly indented.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
                      I believe the letters of the GSG were very small.

Certainly it would not have been necessary, because of a space limitation, to split the sentence into five discrete units.

Also, nothing in principle would have prevented its author from writing it on a single line and crossing bricks, if necessary.
                      The letter were either half an inch high or between one and two inches depending on which interpretation you accept.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                      X