Bury and the night of 8th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bury and the night of 8th

Hi all. I have read a comment (from Msperfect in her excellent summary of Bury's history) that Bury was reported to have gone 'berserk' when returning home on the 8th (the night of the Chapman murder). Does anyone have further information regarding this report and its source ? It seems quite likely that he would have regularly been volatile when returning home but what was special to have an incident reported on the 8th ?

Paul

hi swagman ,ive also read about that, but cant remember where . From what i ve read on bury, he was absent ,not home ,on all the murder dates .This info ive read too , i dont think the 8th was special in particular but what is , is that he was out , on all known murder dates . the bulk of this information was known after his murder of his wife , so i think this was where i read it , courtroom transcripts of evidence from relatives and landlords etc ,check out ellen burys death, should take you there

Comment

Information Source

Thanks for the compliment Swagman.

I read the 'Where are we with Bury' article by Bill Beadle (see section below):

However, invaluable though they are, profiles have to be used in conjunction with other evidence. The police later established that Bury was out all night on the dates of the murders. When he returned home after the death of Annie Chapman he is reported to have behaved like a 'madman'. He fitted the description of the man seen with three victims, short, swarthy and respectably dressed with features which, said the Dundee press, could be mistaken for Jewish. When the Burys visited Wolverhampton in August,1888, they had a portrait made which shows him with a moustache but no beard or side-whiskers, matching the man whom P.C. Smith and William Marshall saw in Berners Street, an item well reported in the press. Significantly, when he turned up in Dundee Bury was sporting both. The police also discovered Bury had been a horsemeat butcher, cutting the meat up for cats' food. Although not a necessity, possession of the sort of anatomical knowledge a man might gain from cutting up animals is certainly not a disadvantage in the Ripper stakes. John Douglas remarks that employment as a butcher would have nourished the Ripper's sadistic fantasies.

No mention of a police report for the 8th, but this could have been neighbours reports. Police confirm that Bury was out all night on the murder nights. This makes me wonder how the police, (if they interviewed him at all) let him go without an alibi?

Regards

Eileen

Originally posted by swagman View Post
      Hi all. I have read a comment (from Msperfect in her excellent summary of Bury's history) that Bury was reported to have gone 'berserk' when returning home on the 8th (the night of the Chapman murder). Does anyone have further information regarding this report and its source ? It seems quite likely that he would have regularly been volatile when returning home but what was special to have an incident reported on the 8th ?

Paul

Comment

Working...
      X