Bowden Endacott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowden Endacott

In the Mirror newspaper today - https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...ficer-29882691

Some stuff on Endacott and the "Cass Case" (from jack-the-ripper-tour.com)

On June 28th 1888 Miss Elizabeth Cass went to Regent Street to buy a pair of gloves. There she was arrested by PC Endacott who accused her of being a prostitute.

The enquiry into the arrest of Miss Cass by PC Endacott was presided over by Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Charles Warren. These were the revelations.

Comment

Rod Beattie gave a talk to the Whitechapel Society on 01-04-2023.

Maybe there is a recording of the podcast in the pipeline?

Fingers crossed.

Comment

meh. the rippers pathology is fueled by sick fantasy of what his knife could do to the female body, not revenge. but not saying it couldnt be this guy, just the author has the motivation wrong.

Comment

Another Ripper suspect. Great

Comment

From a review of Beattie's book:

In this flawed account, Beattie (The Death Railway) asserts that Jack the Ripper must have been a policeman, because only a copper could have evaded police patrols and gained the trust of the prostitutes the Ripper slaughtered. He proceeds to try to fit the facts to his predetermined conclusion.​

Maybe he is the policeman who allegedly claimed he saw a man of Jewish appearance leaving Mitre Square.
            Maybe he made it up and was himself the murderer.

Or maybe he was the elusive Jewish copper whom Anderson and Swanson were so cagey about and whom the witness did not realise was Jewish because, contrary to Elamarna's speculation, he was not wearing a Jewish Talith but a police uniform.

Consequently, Anderson would have had to have his men tell the witness that the policeman was Jewish to support his contention that Jews would not testify against one another.

I would be interested to read Beattie's answer to the following question:

why did none of the witnesses see a policeman at any time proximate to that of any of the murders and near the places where the murders took place?

Comment

Ah...so that's who it was then.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                meh. the rippers pathology is fueled by sick fantasy of what his knife could do to the female body, not revenge. but not saying it couldnt be this guy, just the author has the motivation wrong.
                I agree with you, but the JTR's motivation for the murders is an open question to be fair.

Personally I believe JTR and Astrakhan had a personal connection to at least a subset of the canonical victims and the motive is most likely to prevent something like a blackmail attempt or to suppress a personal scandal.

Just out of interest, Abby, do you have any thoughts on JTR's motivation?

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post

I agree with you, but the JTR's motivation for the murders is an open question to be fair.

Personally I believe JTR and Astrakhan had a personal connection to at least a subset of the canonical victims and the motive is most likely to prevent something like a blackmail attempt or to suppress a personal scandal.

Just out of interest, Abby, do you have any thoughts on JTR's motivation?
                  well yeah, i just posted it.

the history of serial killers have shown us the main motivation, on the deepest psychological level, especially the post mortem mutilators, is a desire, pleasure and or relief of an overwhelming urge, fueled by years of fantasizing about it.

imho the ripper was no different. and his particular focus was what his knife could do to the female body.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

well yeah, i just posted it.

the history of serial killers have shown us the main motivation, on the deepest psychological level, especially the post mortem mutilators, is a desire, pleasure and or relief of an overwhelming urge, fueled by years of fantasizing about it.

imho the ripper was no different. and his particular focus was what his knife could do to the female body.
                    Thanks Abby. Does beg the question as to why he stopped so suddenly though. Died, put an asylum etc I suppose.

Comment

I still think the Ripper is a Policeman. No idea which one, but a Policeman all the same. He might have stopped because, what he did to MJK frightened the hell out of him and perhaps he never thought his killing spree would get so utterly bad. Agree with Abby regarding the focusing of the knife and what it could do.

Comment

why did none of the witnesses see a policeman at any time proximate to that of any of the murders and near the places where the murders took place?
                        The only person that I can think of who mentioned a policeman was Fanny Mortimer who says that she "heard the measured stamp of a policeman" passing her door in relation to Elizabeth Stride's murder.

And that leads back to why I think Jack was a Policeman: because a Policeman would have pretty good knowledge of where and when their fellow officers where going to turn into a street or close and as a murderer they could get out as quick as possible to avoid detection. PC Watkins came into Mitre square, but stopped short of going right in because the rest of the square was part of PC Harvey's beat. PC Harvey came in but did not see anything and five minutes later Kate Eddowes body is found. Did the two PC's not want to catch their own in a compromising situation?

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post
                          Rod Beattie gave a talk to the Whitechapel Society on 01-04-2023.

Maybe there is a recording of the podcast in the pipeline?

Fingers crossed.
                          There was some difficulty with the author’s presentation- I was told he didn’t give one.
                          However a 25 minute Q&A did take place and I have the recording, which I’ll post online in the next few days.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by Busy Beaver View Post

PC Watkins came into Mitre square, but stopped short of going right in because the rest of the square was part of PC Harvey's beat. PC Harvey came in but did not see anything and five minutes later Kate Eddowes body is found. Did the two PC's not want to catch their own in a compromising situation?

I think that is not correct.

Harvey's beat did not involve entering the Square.

That is why he did not see anything five minutes before the body was discovered.

Watkins did not stop short of entering the Square.

If Harvey and Watkins knew that a policeman was mutilating Eddowes, then he would have had to be in uniform.

How many unnamed uniformed policemen could have been in Mitre Square at that time?

We already have one mentioned by Sagar and one mentioned by Macnaghten.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

I think that is not correct.

Harvey's beat did not involve entering the Square.

That is why he did not see anything five minutes before the body was discovered.

Watkins did not stop short of entering the Square.

If Harvey and Watkins knew that a policeman was mutilating Eddowes, then he would have had to be in uniform.

How many unnamed uniformed policemen could have been in Mitre Square at that time?

We already have one mentioned by Sagar and one mentioned by Macnaghten.
                              I assume the Policemen you are talking about are George Morris night watchman at Kearly and Tonge & ex met copper or serving officer Richard Pearse who lived at number 3 Mitre Square. If it's not these guys, I am lost.

Comment

Working...
                              X