Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who first starting looking into Charles Cross / Charles Lechmere.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who first starting looking into Charles Cross / Charles Lechmere.

Hi All, I don't want another big thread on Lechmere but I was curious to find out who first suggested Charles Cross / Charles Lechmere as a suspect and if anyone has any links to any early essays or articles ? Thanks.

His mother.

Comment

This Wiki has your answer.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperShodan View Post
        Hi All, I don't want another big thread on Lechmere but I was curious to find out who first suggested Charles Cross / Charles Lechmere as a suspect and if anyone has any links to any early essays or articles ? Thanks.
        According to a documentary dated 2014, Christer Holmgren discovered that Cross' real name was Lechmere and that it was that discovery that convinced him that he was onto something.

According to Wikipedia, however, it was Derek Osborne who first suggested Cross as a suspect in 2000 and the following year revealed that his real name was Lechmere - in To the Ripper a Son, in Ripperana, No. 37

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

According to a documentary dated 2014, Christer Holmgren discovered that Cross' real name was Lechmere and that it was that discovery that convinced him that he was onto something.

According to Wikipedia, however, it was Derek Osborne who first suggested Cross as a suspect in 2000 and the following year revealed that his real name was Lechmere - in To the Ripper a Son, in Ripperana, No. 37
          I don't think Christer ever meant to imply that he made the discovery.

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

I don't think Christer ever meant to imply that he made the discovery.

I did not mean to imply that he had!

Comment

Maybe this is Mandela Effect but I am pretty sure that in one of the books I read they kind of mention in passing that, hey who knows maybe it was even Charles Cross. Next time I get my hands on 'Sugden' or the book coauthored by Colin Wislon and Robin Odell I will take a look for the appropriate passage if it exists.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperShodan View Post
                I remember reading a library book at least 30 yrsback possibly longer who named Cross / Lechmere.
                I dont remember the title, all I know was the author was a retired police officer. He concluded that the first person at the scene of the crime would be a very likely suspect
                I did ask here on the threads some years back if anyone knew of this book, but without much luck.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by spyglass View Post

I remember reading a library book at least 30 yrsback possibly longer who named Cross / Lechmere.
                  I dont remember the title, all I know was the author was a retired police officer. He concluded that the first person at the scene of the crime would be a very likely suspect
                  I did ask here on the threads some years back if anyone knew of this book, but without much luck.

Regards

The first person at the scene of a murder in a deserted street is NOT a very likely suspect as he could easily have got away had he wanted to.

If he was on his way to work at the time he encountered the victim (and in this case, there is evidence that she was dead at around the time he left home) and he both drew the attention of a passer-by to the body and alerted a policeman, there are no grounds for suspicion at all.

That is why the police did not suspect him.

Comment

The first person at the scene of a murder in a deserted street is NOT a very likely suspect as he could easily have got away had he wanted to.

If he was on his way to work at the time he encountered the victim (and in this case, there is evidence that she was dead at around the time he left home) and he both drew the attention of a passer-by to the body and alerted a policeman, there are no grounds for suspicion at all.

I agree Private Investigator 1. Considering there is nothing whatsoever to suspect Lechmere he is a poor suspect.

Comment

I wouldnt disagree, I was just pointing out that at least one author from decades back thought him worthy of being a suspect long before it was fashionable.

Comment

Working...
                      X