Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conspiracy to suppress the identity of JTR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
    How did the press learn that Millers Court was a "Ripper" murder?

Somebody must have told them.

Morning Advertiser 10 Nov;
    While all this was going on inside the house, the excitement in the neighbourhood was spreading, and among the dwellers in the immediate locality amounted to a perfect frenzy. Women rushed about the streets telling their neighbours the news, and shouting in angry voices their rage and indignation. Notwithstanding the reticence of the police, the main facts of the crime soon became known, and a great concourse of people assembled on the scene.

Comment

Hi Joshua,

Pall Mall Gazette, Saturday 10th November 1888—

“There is no disposition on the part of the police officers at Commercial Street police station to correct any of the conflicting statements which have been made by the newspapers, or to supply further particulars.”

The Metropolitan Police maintained its silence, careful not to discourage the public from spreading the rumour that this murder was the work of the Whitechapel murderer, or more specifically "Jack the Ripper."

Regards,

Simon
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Poll results update:

Currently the votes are as follows:

Yes 2
        No 15
        Not sure, dont' know 3

Which means, according to how polls / referendums work here in the UK, that the ayes have it. Yippee!

Martyn

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post

Which means, according to how polls / referendums work here in the UK, that the ayes have it.
          Oh God! Don't bring that into it please
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Joshua,

Pall Mall Gazette, Saturday 10th November 1888—

“There is no disposition on the part of the police officers at Commercial Street police station to correct any of the conflicting statements which have been made by the newspapers, or to supply further particulars.”

The Metropolitan Police maintained its silence, careful not to discourage the public from spreading the rumour that this murder was the work of the Whitechapel murderer, or more specifically "Jack the Ripper."

Regards,

Simon
            Hello Simon,

What sort of statement would you expect the police to issue? "Let's not be hasty in jumping to conclusions just because the victim was a prostitute and had her throat cut and her internal organs ripped out?"

And it is certainly possible that even if the police were able to somehow discourage the public from spreading rumors (and I don't know how you would do that) that it could backfire and just throw fuel on the flames of those rumors.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              Oh God! Don't bring that into it please
              Nobody mention the B word!

Comment

Hi c.d.,

Provide incontrovertible evidence that the Millers Court victim was a prostitute, and I'll treat you to a bottle of your favourite tipple.

The police didn't want to discourage the public from spreading rumors about Jack.

In fact, the more the merrier. Which is why, seven years later, the mystery trundled on.

Regards,

Simon
                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hi Jon,

Yes, I did.

Perhaps because the police wanted it to be a Ripper murder.

Newspapers carried much of what the police required them to print.

Regards,

Simon
                  Or maybe it was a ripper murder
                  'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

P
                    rovide incontrovertible evidence that the Millers Court victim was a prostitute, and I'll treat you to a bottle of your favourite tipple.
                    More to the point Simon ,are you saying ''YOU'' cant find one piece of incontrovertible evidence that the Millers Court victim was a prostitute? We are talking about Mary Kelly are we not ? and what pray tell would you consider such evidence to be ?. Is the tipple open for me ?
                    'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

Simon,

If MJK wasn't a prostitute, what was she?

Martyn

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post
                        If MJK wasn't a prostitute, what was she?
                        ... and what does that make the witnesses who said that she was?
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi c.d.,

Provide incontrovertible evidence that the Millers Court victim was a prostitute, and I'll treat you to a bottle of your favourite tipple.

The police didn't want to discourage the public from spreading rumors about Jack.

In fact, the more the merrier. Which is why, seven years later, the mystery trundled on.

Regards,

Simon
                          Would MJK turning up at the door of a brothel in the Ratcliff Highway with a strange man and paying 2s for the use of a room for the night meet your criteria?

I have a feeling it may not.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post

... and what does that make the witnesses who said that she was?
                            Sam, good question.

I'm hoping Simon might be willing to share his thoughts on MJK, her murder in general terms, not specifically whether MJK was a prostitute or not.

E.g. was her identity a "legend"? Was her murder seperate from the other murders? Was MJK's murder connected the "Irish Question"?

I've Simon's book several times and I am still none the wiser as to what Simon really thinks about the WMs. I'm not having a dig at Simon btw, I am genuinely interested in his views.

Martyn

Comment

I think that there were a couple of men that Fall that were glad to have this mad killer at large to take the blame. The men at the International Club for one. One wonders whether the effort to make Mary Jane Kelly almost unrecognizable to even her recent live in might be something to consider here.
                              Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                                I think that there were a couple of men that Fall that were glad to have this mad killer at large to take the blame. The men at the International Club for one. One wonders whether the effort to make Mary Jane Kelly almost unrecognizable to even her recent live in might be something to consider here.
                                Just a thought: Does making MJK hard to identify mean that JTR was connected somehow to her and making her almost unrecognizable was an effort to protect his own identity?

Martyn

Comment

Working...
                                X