Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
    Hi Simon,

I hope you won't mind me asking you a question re. the above.

Why do you say that Dr Gabe was not a gynaecologist?
    In case Simon Wood missed this question originally. I'm sure he must be eager to explain his reasoning to us.

Comment

• Hi David,

My dear chap, I've been positively champing at the bit.

The reason I said Gabe wasn't a gynaecologist was because he never hung out this qualification on his shingle.

But he was a founding fellow of the British Gynaecological Society. However, most members of this society were general practitioners.

In 1888 he was listed as an M.D. and surgeon, as is shown by this entry in the Post Office Directory for his practice at 76 Farringdon Street.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1888 PO DIRECTORY FARRINGDON STREET GABE.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	666301

But I have no doubt you'll put me right.

Regards,

Simon
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• I was under the impression that even medical professionals specializing in a certain field were still designated (professionally) as simply MD and/or surgeon until the mid 20th century?
        Best Wishes,
        Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
          The reason I said Gabe wasn't a gynaecologist was because he never hung out this qualification on his shingle.

But he was a founding fellow of the British Gynaecological Society. However, most members of this society were general practitioners.

In 1888 he was listed as an M.D. and surgeon, as is shown by this entry in the Post Office Directory for his practice at 76 Farringdon Street.
          Hi Simon,

Have you been aware all along that Dr Gabe was a fellow of the British Gynaecological Society? But you didn't think this was relevant information to mention when you told packers stem that Gabe was 'not a gynaecologist' in response to his suggestion that Gabe might have been checking Kelly for signs of pregnancy?

And are you seriously trying to claim that, despite being a fellow of the British Gynaecological Society, Gabe was not a gynaecologist?

Of course he was a gynaecologist, Simon!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hunter View Post
            I was under the impression that even medical professionals specializing in a certain field were still designated (professionally) as simply MD and/or surgeon until the mid 20th century?
            Absolutely Hunter. If one looks in the medical directories for the period, one simply won't find a group of doctors labelled "gynaecologists". And one would not expect a doctor with gynaecological expertise to be labelled a "gynaecologist" in the directories. So there is nothing inconsistent with Gabe's directory entry of 'M.D. Surgeon' with him having been a gynaecologist. As a fellow of the British Gynaecological Society he obviously was a gynaecologist as we would understand the term.

Comment

• Hi David,

I love it when you boys circle the wagons and huddle around the camp fire for mutual comfort and safety.

I would suggest a reading of "The Science of Woman: Gynaecology and Gender in England 1800-1929", by Ornelia Moscucci, 1991.

Keep safe and warm.

Regards,

Simon
              Last edited by Simon Wood; 10-27-2015, 11:05 AM. Reason: spolling mistook

Comment

I would suggest a reading of "The Science of Woman: Gynaecology and Gender in England 1800-1929", by Ornelia Moscucci, 1991.
                Hi Simon,

I assume you mean Ornella Mosucci. How does she contradict anything I have said?

And wouldn't it be easier to dig out some examples of nineteenth century gynaecologists from that directory of yours to show us what their entries should look like?

Comment

• Hi David,

A mere typo becomes a capital crime to you.

You haven't said anything yet. All you've done is stamp your foot, have a bit of a tantrum and insist you're right.

I'll leave you to dig them out.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

• Don't know if this link is still viable:

Bob Hinton posted photos of a period spring lock here:

He has even more photos that he took, and even made a mock up, which he filmed.

Best wishes
                    C4

Yes, still there but you have to scroll down to get to the pictures
                    Last edited by curious4; 10-27-2015, 11:35 AM.

Comment

A mere typo becomes a capital crime to you.
                      In what way did you think I was suggesting it was a capital crime or even a criticism of you? It was a statement of fact which actually contained a typo itself because the correct name is Ornella Moscucci.

Comment

You haven't said anything yet.
                        Yes I have. I've said that Dr Gabe, a fellow of the British Society of Gynaecologists, was (of course) a gynaecologist.

If that isn't a clear statement I honestly don't know how I can put it more clearly for you.

Comment

• Hi David,

Yes, you have made a clear statement.

And it's loud, confident and wrong.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi David,

Yes, you have made a clear statement.

And it's loud, confident and wrong.
                            Would you care to explain why?

Comment

• Hi David,

I'm certain you can find out for yourself.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

I'm certain you can find out for yourself.
                                But I don't believe I am wrong Simon. It is patently obvious that a fellow of the British Gynaecological Society could properly be described as a gynaecologist.

That alone could explain Dr Gabe's presence at Miller's Court on 9 November 1888.

Comment

Working...
                                X